Thread: Guitar man gone Mando

Default Guitar man gone Mando

Yup, that's all I need is another obsession. Wanting to focus more on mandolins and playing. Here's my first project. Haven't received it yet but I think it will be a good starter project for 60 bucks, may even sound better than my current one. No image/info on this particular badge but I'd guess '30s to '40s. Can't wait to tinker. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	152912[ATTACH=CONFIG]152913 More enlarged pics down below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m2.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	152913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m3.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	152914  
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by blind road; Jan-10-2017 at 8:28pm. Reason: enlarge pics

Default Re: Guitar man gone Mando

Maybe someone could clue me in on enlarging images, probably need to use a url?

Welcome to the obsession!

If you insert them using the insert image button (third from right on the toolbar at the top of the message when you write it) they should enlarge when you click on them.

Welcome Blind Road. I've been playing guitar a very long time and just bought my first mandolin right before Christmas. I'm finding that playing scales on the mandolin is more intuitive than on the guitar which is making the learning process a bit easier than expected. The narrow neck and small frets are still somewhat of a challenge for me though. But my mandolin is a blast to play! I should of done this 20 years ago. You'll have fun for sure with your new instrument.
    Eastman MD515 with K&K pickup
    Lakewood acoustic guitar with K&K pickup

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    If you insert them using the insert image button (third from right on the toolbar at the top of the message when you write it) they should enlarge when you click on them.
    This is how I inserted them so it must be the source, I'll have to mess with them to see if I can enlarge.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

My guess is that you linked to thumbnails rather than the full size photos - just a wild guess.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

That is is full size of those images. What you see is as good as you're going to get from those. They're tiny. Thought I'd weigh in before someone blames us for being the root of all image problems.

Could not figure out how to delete attachments so heres an add on Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m4.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	152915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m5.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	152916Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m6.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	152917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m7.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	152918

Quote Originally Posted by Groundcoat View Post
    Welcome Blind Road. I've been playing guitar a very long time and just bought my first mandolin right before Christmas. I'm finding that playing scales on the mandolin is more intuitive than on the guitar which is making the learning process a bit easier than expected. The narrow neck and small frets are still somewhat of a challenge for me though. But my mandolin is a blast to play! I should of done this 20 years ago. You'll have fun for sure with your new instrument.
    Thanks for that, I'm sure there are a few more of us out there. I first started mandolin a few years ago when I thought the group I played with was redundant with two guitars and I already liked Peter Rowan, Nickel creek, new and old, etc. Then I fell in love, now I'm going to take the time to really dive in.

That (obvious?) is a Harmony mandolin prob from the 1930s and most likely bottom of the line budget model. These were often sold to retail stores in small lots like half a dozen for one price. Super cheap with painted fretboard and (I think) painted "pickguard." Still it might sound all right when set up. Good luck!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    That (obvious?) is a Harmony mandolin prob from the 1930s and most likely bottom of the line budget model. These were often sold to retail stores in small lots like half a dozen for one price. Super cheap with painted fretboard and (I think) painted "pickguard." Still it might sound all right when set up. Good luck!
    Thanks Jim, I've had several budget vintage guitars with painted fret boards (Robertson) and stripped them down to the beautiful wood underneath. Good call on the pick guard. I'm sure the many hours I will spend on this will not "pay", just a love of mine. Hoping it will have a little volume and tone. The crack in the top may indicate solid wood. BTW, many hours on that Robertson, sounded pretty good and I donated it to an auction for my son in laws cancer, fetched $300 and made every minute a labor of love.Attachment 152934