Thread: Strap Recommendations - UK

Default Strap Recommendations - UK

Hi!
    I'm looking for a strap for my mandolin!
    I ordered one on amazon but it's not very good and is more for a ukulele and I'm struggling to find any good ones anywhere
    I'm a vegetarian/transitioning vegan so I don't want leather and I want it to look a bit different to a standard black one! Sorry for being so fussy
    If you have any good website recommendations I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you

Default Re: Strap Recommendations - UK

We're not exactly spoiled for choice over here.
    Eagle Music do some cool looking woven ones. A big plus is that the adjustment looks to give a wide range of lengths, which isn't always the case with leather.
    They have a loop for tying round a scroll, neck block or headstock so they might not be suitable if you have two strap buttons and want to use those.

http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/cat/mandolin-straps

After many decades of searching for half decent mandolin straps, I've concluded that there is really only one manufacturer in the UK but they only make leather ones so you won't be interested.

The simple answer is to make your own out of whatever material you consider acceptable. I've used car seat belt material for guitar straps in the dim and distant past but be careful with strap material v finish. I assume your mandolin doesn't have a varnish/French polish finish but if it's finished in nitro-cellulose, a vinyl strap will ruin it.

Hey MonaLisa,
    What I have done is to visit many charity shops looking for belts and I have made many mandolin straps(for my one mandolin ), out of them. Some of them are unique :-) I then went to hobbycraft and bought some leather string, but you could go to a shoe shop and by some shoe laces. Just a thought.
    G

There used to be a post in the archives here that described how to braid a mandolin strap from either leather bootlaces or for those seeking vegan options, parachute cord.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    There used to be a post in the archives here that described how to braid a mandolin strap from either leather bootlaces or for those seeking vegan options, parachute cord.
    I remember Ron McMillan posted about such a process: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...New-cord-strap
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

My favourite straps are made by Souldier in the US, but it's ridiculously expensive to have one shipped over here if you get a custom one made by them. Eagle Music sell a small selection of Souldier straps here in the UK: http://www.eaglemusicshop.com. What i love about them particularly is the soft material so they can be rolled up in a case, the stitched-in loop, and handy adjustment buckle. I was lucky to get what i wanted from Eagle Music, though i did splash out once and made a custom order with Souldier (which got sent to a friend in the US who then shipped it over to me via economy rates).

Similar to Souldier are some straps made by a seller on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/traci56guineapigs
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

The trouble with the Eagle Music ones (see Uncle Choppy's link) is that it looks like they have leather ends which is somewhat contrary to what MonaLisa is looking for.

Ah right i missed that, that's a shame
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

a belt loom is easy to make ... 2 thread spools and a course tooth comb and a frame to hold the parts..

a tack in the side of each spool you tie the thin cords , to the wind up extra length on 1 spool an as you

weave more cord across the lengthwise cord, surely you can find some one who is Luddite and historically national trust , minded to remember how to do hand weaving..

of course now you can look up how to on the internet.., flax cotton hemp wool and blends and all that..

or go macreme, a technique developed by sailors on the long days at sea on sailing ships ...
    Willy Nelson guitar strap macreme.

so much shopping so little DIY.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I bought a vegan bass strap for my six string bass, not because it was vegan but just because it was the best option at the price. Here is the company, might have something for mandolin and available in the UK: http://onoriintl.com/pages/frontpage

Look up Inkle Looms or weaving. Little fancier than doing it Mandroid's way.

How about a craft fair, I'm sure you could get someone to crochet you one.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

If you want to avoid leather, I'd suggest sticking with a natural cotton of some sort. Some parachute cord and other synthetic materials will react badly with lacquer. If your mandolin has poly finish, then nearly any material will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    The trouble with the Eagle Music ones (see Uncle Choppy's link) is that it looks like they have leather ends which is somewhat contrary to what MonaLisa is looking for.
    Sorry about that.
    Just assumed that woven straps would be cloth/synthetic construction.
    Well spotted Ray and thanks for pointing it out.

Thank you for your recommendations! I've taken your advice and managed to make a strap out of a ukulele strap I bought It's not perfect but it'll do!