Thread: Coffee and a good book-a wonderful new solo mandolin MP3

Default Coffee and a good book-a wonderful new solo mandolin MP3

I want to draw attention to this cool group of solo mandolin tunes from Andrew-in case some of you missed it, or just didn't look this week when it was posted on the home page.

these are really smooth, calming mandolin playings.

https://www.andrewbucknermusic.com/music-2

a question I'd like to put to Andrew:
    would you be interested in selling a songbook-or at least a tab sheet per song?

offer up the sheet for us folks here on the Café. I'd love to have tabs to any or all of these tunes so I could work on them. I'm in the camp of (1) not having the time (2) nor the knowledge right now, of listening and working out the tune.

I could take the songs on this MP3 and work a long time and be quite satisfied with any 2 of them, let alone the group.

So folks, if you haven't checked it out, go to amazon and listen to album and then I figure you will buy it.

thanks to all, and to Andrew again, for putting these out here for us
    d

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Coffee and a good book-a wonderful new solo mandolin MP3

Daryl,
    First off, I am honored that you would want to learn the tunes from this record, they all mean a ton to me, and I am thankful you are interested. I don't think I would be interested in selling the tabs, but I am planning on starting working on some of them, and posting for anyone to have who wants them The reward of writing music is someone wanting to learn it, someone connecting with it, and someone's life being enriched by it. Thanks for such an encouraging post, and for accepting my art. It's extremely kind, and reminds me why I love this community so much.
    TKD Falcon F5

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atbuckner21 For This Useful Post:

I really like Coffee and a Good Book: a very nice calm tune.

Did you mean to write "a chord-melody arraignment of Somewhere Over the Rainbow", rather than "arrangement"? i.e., formally charged with a criminal offense?

I just purchased as well. I enjoyed the samples, so got the whole thing. Oddly, today I discovered that people do solo arrangements for mandolin. I know that seems naive, but I never considered it. It's something I do all the time while doodling(although not T this level), and it was inspiring to hear someone actually do it and record it. I also stumbled on David Mansfield doing the dead. I am truly inspired by all this and thank you for taking the time to put down your thoughts into mandolin music.

The instrument sounds great! My loar 600 always sounds a bit bright and tinny. I am. Curious as to how much of the recording is good miking and mixing or just a great instrument. I understand completely that the fingers of the artist have the biggest contribution, but I bet he wouldn't have that clear sound on my loar.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by jeho2a View Post
    I really like Coffee and a Good Book: a very nice calm tune.

Did you mean to write "a chord-melody arraignment of Somewhere Over the Rainbow", rather than "arrangement"? i.e., formally charged with a criminal offense?
    LOL! Yes, I meant arrangement! I can't blame that on auto-correct, but I might slip part of the blame to spell check. Oh, who am I kidding, it's my fault! Thanks for listening, and making sure I am being sentenced to mandolin prison.
    TKD Falcon F5

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyfingers View Post
    I just purchased as well. I enjoyed the samples, so got the whole thing. Oddly, today I discovered that people do solo arrangements for mandolin. I know that seems naive, but I never considered it. It's something I do all the time while doodling(although not T this level), and it was inspiring to hear someone actually do it and record it. I also stumbled on David Mansfield doing the dead. I am truly inspired by all this and thank you for taking the time to put down your thoughts into mandolin music.

The instrument sounds great! My loar 600 always sounds a bit bright and tinny. I am. Curious as to how much of the recording is good miking and mixing or just a great instrument. I understand completely that the fingers of the artist have the biggest contribution, but I bet he wouldn't have that clear sound on my loar.
    Freddy,
    Thanks for getting the EP! I have become such a fan of the minimalist mandolin sound, and loved getting to do this solo recording. To be honest, anyone can get the same sound quality that I did on this record. I used one mic (a DPA D:vote 4099 clip on condensor), a Focusrite Scarlett audio-interface, and Ableton Live 9 Lite which came with the interface. I had a friend do the mastering and that was it! My Model M sounds so great in any environment I have yet used it, and it deserves the bulk of the credit Thanks again Freddy!
    TKD Falcon F5

Also, I just fixed my site! I have been doing so much posting, typing, recording, and planning lately that somehow that slipped through! I am so glad you noticed it
    TKD Falcon F5

Thanks for the reply! I looked into the DPA, and it costs close to what my mando costs. However, I use the k and k internal on it, and it works, but never sounds very natural. Always a bit percussive So I will look into the dpa, maybe find one used. Thanks for the tips!

11. The following members say thank you to Freddyfingers for this post:

Freddy,
    Another great option is the MXL 990/991 mic combo pack. You can probably get it for 100.00 or less, and it sounds great! I have a friend who owns a studio, and he uses the MXL 990 because it sounds great and the inner parts are really close to those of a Newmann that costs 20 times as much. The cool part about that pack is you get a large diaphram condensor (would be great for mando, guitar, vocals) and a pencil condensor that would also be great for instruments specifically. If you want to get a rounder, darker sound, place the mic farther from the bridge, if you want the brighter sound, you can move closer to the bridge. Tinkering with it for a few tracks will help you find right where you want to place it for the sound you are going for. I put a link below to the mic pack I am describing I hope this helps!
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-990-991-recording-microphone-package?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CMXA8ejs09E CFUi5wAodjd4DWA&kwid=productads-adid^156727059247-device^c-plaid^143949981882-sku^273166000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA
    TKD Falcon F5

Many thanks!

14. The following members say thank you to Freddyfingers for this post:

Glad to try and help man!
    TKD Falcon F5

Would be happy to buy a CD of this.

Jesse,
    Thanks so much!!!! It's currently on Itunes, Amazon, and a bunch of other retailers You can link to it from my website, www.andrewbucknermusic.com.
    TKD Falcon F5