Thread: Tried GDAE tuning on my Ibanez PFT2 doesn't sound that good.

Default Tried GDAE tuning on my Ibanez PFT2 doesn't sound that good.

I have been playing mandolin for several years, so I thought I would give tenor guitar a try. I'm really enjoying the different sounds and feel of the tenor. I researched here on string gauges and such to put it in GDAE tuning. It's 22.8 scale with 42,30,20,12 phosphor bronze strings. When I tried that tuning the guitar went dead, it lost the tone and volume. I'm gonna go back to CDGA, but just wondering if this has happened to anyone else in this tuning?

Default Re: Tried GDAE tuning on my Ibanez PFT2 doesn't sound that good.

I had my Ashbury in GDAE and it was OK, that said it does sound better in CGDA.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

This is a topic that crops us regularly - here and elsewhere - and I get quite a few emails asking about just that question. There's a correlation between scale length, tuning and string gauge which can affect the playability of the instrument. A tenor with a short scale will be easier to tune well in CGDA - always bear in mind that the top A string is the equivalent of the 5th fret on the guitar top E string - so to from CGDA to GDAE is to drop every string down 5 frets. Imagine doing that on a conventional guitar without some serious string changing - and with loss of tension and volume and tone.

Cheers,

Will

4. The following members say thank you to WillFly for this post:

Thanks Will, I thought I had done my research and had it pretty close. Can it be this instrument just doesn't like this tuning? I know mandolins can be picky about strings. That being said, what gauge strings would you recommend? Any help appreciated!
    Last edited by Three-Dz; Jan-23-2017 at 7:51am.

I don't know offhand what strings to use with that scale length and GDAE tuning. I once tried a GDAE tenor banjo set on my old Windsor 1930s tenor banjo - and they flapped around like spaghetti! So I got rid of them instantly and went to CGDA. The neck profile and scale length on my tenor guitar was modelled by the luthier (at my request) on that tenor banjo neck when the guitar was commissioned, so I know not to try and put it into GDAE tuning.

If you really want GDAE tuning on that 22.8 scale length, then you'd have to compensate with something like the string gauges you quoted in your original post - but it sounds as though they just don't suit. You could try heavier strings, but I wouldn't care to predict the sound - or the feel of it when playing.

The obvious choice for any sentient being, of course, is to buy another tenor guitar!

7. The following members say thank you to WillFly for this post:

Now that sounds like a plan!!!!!!

I've bought two tenor guitars that have come tuned to CGDA. Tuning down to GDAE with the existing strings has never worked well because they tend to flap around and require a very light touch. I've just bought a set of heavy acoustic strings and picked out four from the pack and played away.

10. The following members say thank you to thx712517 for this post:

I've checked the tension and can go a little heavier, just don't know if this tenor is going to sound good in this tuning. It's kinda nice having something with a different tone anyway.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

The shorter the scale then of course the heavier you need for G. My mcilroy isn't a very long scale (can't remember offhand) and needs at least 40 for the G. Whereas in C it takes 32 as per Dermot's recommendation. Strangely his recommendation for G was 34 and of course that's way too light requiring the aforementioned light touch. Well I'm a mandolin player so that means I am constantly out of tune at 34!
    I do believe some tenors were born to be G tuned and others C - so it's a good excuse to get two tenors at least
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

13. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

I agree that this guitar may perform better in CGDA no matter what you try - that is what I've found with my own small-body tenor.
    But before giving up on GDAE, my thought would be to first try even heavier strings, and see what difference it makes.
    You are still using the equivalent of a regular light-gauge E string (12) and an extra-light D string (30), although your tenor scale is much shorter. I would try the equivalents of mediums, or even a little heavier, for eg. 44,35,23-25,14.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acousticphd For This Useful Post:

I'll give the heavier strings a try and let you know of the results.

17. The following members say thank you to Three-Dz for this post:

derbex 

The heavier strings will require some alteration to the nut to accomodate the larger diameter strings ( if you want it to play the best). I changed my Blueridge BR40 to 45, 30, 20, 13 strings then tuned GDAE. I had a luthier set it up and it plays very easily, and sounds great. If you want to play some times in CGDA just capo at 5th fret.
    Northfield Big Mon #274
    Loar 520 VS
    Kala UBass
    Blueridge BR 40T
    Eastman MDO 305 Octave

19. The following members say thank you to Stainless for this post:

Well, I tried the heavier strings and it did sound a lot better. I didn't enlarge the nut slots yet, this was just as a test. I imagine it will sound so much better with the slots cut to accept the larger strings. The strings I tested were 44,30,20,13 phosphor bronze. I'm still using CGDA for now, but may eventually change over to GDAE. Just had to give it try to calm my curiosity, I now have options if the desire so hits me. Thanks for all who replied!

I play D'addario chrome flatwound 45w, 32w, 22w, 12p (in paired courses) on my 23" tenor that I modified into an octave mandolin.
    D'addario string tension pro webapp had suggested 44,30,20,13, but I found the wound strings to be too light and the plain steel E needed to be lighter.

22. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

There may ( or may not....) be quality / performance issues involved in an unbranded / own label string set, but Clifford Essex in the Uk sell sets for the Tenor guitar in loop and ball end options, at several weights and (2) finishes in properly sized gauges for GDAE, CGDA and DGBE tuning. They can be found on Ebay, with W/W postage options. The strings 'work' fine for a plinker / improver like me and I have used the two more common tuning sets with decent results on my Ozark.

'Light' weights for GDAE are .011, .016, .026 & .036, latter two wound in Nickel or Phosphor.
    Light CGDA are .009, .014, .022, .028, again, two finish options. DGBE's are 013 - 034.

24. The following members say thank you to NEH57 for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Yeah that's who I tend to use. Clifford Essex is very useful in working out good string sets.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Quote Originally Posted by NEH57 View Post
    There may ( or may not....) be quality / performance issues involved in an unbranded / own label string set, but Clifford Essex in the Uk sell sets for the Tenor guitar in loop and ball end options, at several weights and (2) finishes in properly sized gauges for GDAE, CGDA and DGBE tuning. They can be found on Ebay, with W/W postage options. The strings 'work' fine for a plinker / improver like me and I have used the two more common tuning sets with decent results on my Ozark.

'Light' weights for GDAE are .011, .016, .026 & .036, latter two wound in Nickel or Phosphor.
    Light CGDA are .009, .014, .022, .028, again, two finish options. DGBE's are 013 - 034.
    When I first started with the tenor guitar, I used Clifford Essex strings in GDAE, I don't know how on earth they come up with their string sets?
    I can only assume the person has very different ears and fingers to me!
    Fine for a tenor banjo though....

28. The following members say thank you to NEH57 for this post:

After quite a bit of experimenting on various 23" scale length tenors in GDAE I've landed on 42, 30, 20(wound), 12. This suits most of my tenors fine, especially the Martin 0-18T. I went a bit heavier on my early 50's Gibson TG-50 archtop, a bit lighter on 1930 TG-O.

30. The following members say thank you to dburtnett for this post: