Thread: A Mandolin strap

Default A Mandolin strap

What straps will work on an A style mandolin with a strap button at the base of the neck?
    Last edited by Jsm; Jan-30-2017 at 12:18pm.

Default Re: A Mandolin strap

I use a rawhide boot lace, tied behind the fretboard and around the body, and tied to the end pin, using a hangmans noose.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

D'you mean a strap button at the heel? The nut is at the other (tuners) end. If you have two strap buttons, anything with a hole at either end will do. It largely depends on how much you want to spend. If there isn't a strap button you can do as J Mangio says providing the end of the fretboard is elevated otherwise you'll probably have to tie one end up with the tuners.

There are many threads already on the wisdom v. stupidity of fitting a second strap button.

If you have two strap buttons, or even if you don't, do yourself a favor and buy a Bailey strap. You will enjoy it every time you play. It is a thing of beauty, and the attachment system is solid. Lots of adjustability.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Randy Hogan made a nice braided leather strap for my Collings MT A model.

https://www.facebook.com/HoganMandoStraps/

Also, Pinegrove Leather in England made me a nice 1/2" wide flat leather strap for another A model.

http://www.pinegroveleather.co.uk/Le...p/pg150637.htm

6. The following members say thank you to djeffcoat for this post:

8. The following members say thank you to Stevo75 for this post:

I have a Neotech, they come with 3 ends, 2 leather tabs, for buttons

& 3rd,A loop, for scrolls.

Made in Montana.

Old leather belts from the Charity shops, can make great straps, Made in Your House.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Ah! You do have two buttons. I'll second the recommendation for Pinegrove leather in the UK - I have several of their straps.

Ray - Currently,Rod Boyes at Pinegrove doesn't make a mandolin strap for a '2-button' config. However - the OP could e-mail him to ask,that's how Rod came to make the first 2 MS37 styles for my Lebeda & Weber. The type of leather that Rod uses for the MS50 style straps,is really nice & a 2-button "A" style strap in that leather, would look very nice indeed. Also,as the $ is strong against the UK £ at the moment,what better time to buy ?. http://www.pinegroveleather.co.uk/Le...p/pg161050.htm
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Ray - Currently,Rod Boyes at Pinegrove doesn't make a mandolin strap for a '2-button' config. However - the OP could e-mail him to ask,that's how Rod came to make the first 2 MS37 styles for my Lebeda & Weber. The type of leather that Rod uses for the MS50 style straps,is really nice & a 2-button "A" style strap in that leather, would look very nice indeed. Also,as the $ is strong against the UK £ at the moment,what better time to buy ?. http://www.pinegroveleather.co.uk/Le...p/pg161050.htm
    Ivan
    Ivan, mine is for a two-button, and I don't remember it being a custom order. See pic above.

13. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

Scratch that, I now remember doing surgery on it!! I agree that Rod would happily make a two-button version. Super nice guy.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I'm one of those who prefers two strap buttons and, over recent years, have started making my own straps usually based on nice old belts that I find in charity shops. I don't use tabs any more as they wear loose over a period of time but rather fixings based on leather cord to match the belt colours. It doesn't take long and the results are satisfying and work well.

Ivan
    Ivan - He made one for me in Nov. '15. They may have disappeared from his website but I'm sure he wouldn't turn away the business. A two hole strap must be the simplest to make. Most of Rod's straps are customised to a certain extent ; i.e. for length.

17. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    I'm one of those who prefers two strap buttons and, over recent years, have started making my own straps usually based on nice old belts that I find in charity shops. I don't use tabs any more as they wear loose over a period of time but rather fixings based on leather cord to match the belt colours. It doesn't take long and the results are satisfying and work well.
    If slots in leather straps are getting loose, a duplicate leather doofer placed on the button outside the strap is, in my experience, 100% effective in holding the strap securely in place. Costs nothing to make and spares can live in the case or even in your wallet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leather doofer.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	153576

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

If slots in leather straps are getting loose, a duplicate leather doofer placed on the button outside the strap is, in my experience, 100% effective in holding the strap securely in place. Costs nothing to make and spares can live in the case or even in your wallet.
    Yes Ron, I know that trick and have used it before but I now go for a more elegant solution...!

20. The following members say thank you to Shelagh Moore for this post:

Ray / bbcee - Rod's MS37 style strap is for an "F" style mandolin. The MS50 style will double for an "F" & an "A" style mandolin (strap under),but it was never meant to be used with a strap button placed on the neck. If Rod's made a 2 hole style mandolin strap,then i've never seen it shown on his website & he never mentioned it to me personally. Rod usually contacts me if he has something new to show as i usually put it on the Cafe as i did his original MS37 style strap. That was done mainly for the benefit of us UK pickers, as we had nobody making mandolin straps for us over here.

Rod hadn't had his business up & running for very long before i contacted him. That was why he was so willing to make what was for him,a 'new' product.

I'm pretty sure that if asked,Rod would make almost any style strap for a customer. Regarding the main strap length of the MS50 style,it's 36",which is a tad too short for me. I had to hike my Ellis up a bit higher in order to keep the thong looking too dangly. I have another one on order with a 39" long main strap as an alternative to the MS37 strap on my Lebeda -i like a 'change' every now & again.

Simply as a disclaimer (once more) - my only connection with ''Pinegrove Leather'' is that of being their 'first customer' for any style of mando. strap,a very satisfied customer at that,& most certainly no ''freebies'' - i'll always pay for quality,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Yes, Rod at Pinegrove Leather is your man. He made me two custom straps for myself and my partner last year for my Weber Octave and my partners Phil Davidson. Both of them two hole. Lovely soft black leather and padded. Brilliant adjusting system too. Love it.

Rob

I enjoy making my own. I use them myself and give them to friends. The latest ones are braided from (I think) 4mm strips of leather in a four-strand round braid that I learned from this YouTube clip. The only tools required for the rest of the job are sharp scissors, a hole punch, a craft knife and a needle and thread. A little superglue comes in handy, too.

This particular grade of leather is a little too thin for the end, button-attachment pieces, but I play safe with leather doofers of the same colour (like the one in my post above), and the strap never threatens to come loose. New straps will have heavier end pieces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A strap edited web.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	153629
    Last edited by Ron McMillan; Feb-01-2017 at 11:30pm.

Ivan
    If you look on the page for the MS37 strap, about half way down you can choose this option for the two button strap-

A-style 1: Has quarter-inch strap-pin holes at each end of the strap. Choose this if you have a strap-pin where the neck meets the body, as well as at the tailpiece.

25. The following members say thank you to 5bassman for this post:

Ray(T) 

From above - ".... about half way down you can choose this option for the two button strap..". Many thanks for that info. Rod's obviously up-dated his website since i last visited that page.

It seems as though he has all bases covered !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.