Thread: How crazy am I?

Default How crazy am I?

I'm relatively new to the tenor world, since about September of last year. However, it has rapidly become my instrument of choice. I've got an Ibanez AVT1NT acoustic, and a Warren Ellis signature electric of dubious ability.

For a while now I've been applying the minimalist mindset to my possessions and hobbies. I liquidated the vast majority of my model train collection and focused on just the ultimate gems, and now have a small but very interactive and high quality layout. I'd like to apply the same to my musical instruments.

I've thought through the "what if" scenario, if my possessions were lost to fire or tornado or theft. I have a PRS SE guitar with upgraded pickups, a Vox amplifier, reverb pedal, a Hopf violin from the 1880s, and the aforementioned acoustic and electric tenors. If I was to lose it all (and receive some insurance money or compensation for it) I would replace it all with a single acoustic tenor guitar, most likely one of Herb Taylor's amazing instruments.

So the thought that runs through my head these days is why base this on a slim chance of misfortune? Why not sell it all and reduce everything down to a single acoustic tenor? Has anyone else done something similar? Any regrets?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How crazy am I?

Basing decisions on "fire or tornado or theft" doesn't interest me, but if you can obtain the instrument of your current dreams by consolidating then that is a valid way around it. I think I would spend more time with the 'one' than with the many 'second choices'.

I would let the idea simmer for a week or two - time sometimes reveals the better way.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I have just recently started selling some of my instruments, so i can buy 2 mandolins an octave and 2-3k mandolin. I have always been a person who has way too many instruments which the main problem for me is, i would not be able to have just one instrument, i could probably have 2 of each even tho i don't play guitar very often i would want to some days and i only pull my violin out a few times a year always wanting to play more. The hardest thing right now is picking the ones to sell. Started to sell my vintage Washburn and my old lady said what are you doing that's mine , i really like the way it sounds and plays , so ofcourse that one stays
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I have phases when I concentrate on tenor guitar - then guitar - then mandolin, etc. (In no particular order and for no set length pf time).

I love my tenor guitar beyond measure - but I also love working out new stuff and playing live on 6-string guitar. I'd never sell any of my instruments - but perhaps that's now just a function of age (73 this year...).

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    I think I would spend more time with the 'one' than with the many 'second choices'.
    Do you have any thoughts of selling both the Kelley and the Pava so as to afford "the one," Mark?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I have gone through this exact exercise many times! I have sentimental instruments that I wouldn't sell, but at the same time, if something happened to my collection and I had insurance money to rebuild it, it would look completely different than it does right now. I have downsized and consolidated a bit over the past few years, in particular getting rid of electric guitars that I never play anymore. So far I haven't regretted it but you have to understand your own mentality and be honest with yourself to know how you will feel! I will say that I'm a big believer in having the best tools you can afford.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Do you have any thoughts of selling both the Kelley and the Pava so as to afford "the one," Mark?
    Nah - I'll check

8. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

thx712517: I can't tell by your instrument list which ones are easily replaceable if you decided later to return to similar ones. I sold my big old Gibson a few years ago but it allowed me to buy a new computer which i sorely needed. Recently, I sold a few other instruments so I had some cash to get another similar guitar. I checked out some vintage ones but ended up winning a much cheaper boutique copy. Unless you have serious cash flow problems or will in the future, I would go for the dreams, esp if you are not really playing some of yours and are able to sell them.

OTOH I always have to have at least one of everything. Of course there is no danger of that just being only one of each any time soon.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

All of my gear is fairly easy to replace. The Vox amp might be a little bit of a pain to find in the store but can be ordered. The reverb pedal is still in production. The PRS is out of production, but if I went back to six-string playing I would grab a Fender Duo-Sonic.

I went to Guitar Center yesterday with the intent of playing an archtop acoustic. Didn't find one, but they had a used Ibanez tenor I played on for a while and a cheap mandolin. Normally when I go I play an electric six string with the amp way down, strumming the chords I know or the two solos I learned.

This time I was ripping through multiple songs I know, confident and at ease. It made me think that I have made a lot of progress in playing a fifths-tuned instrument and maybe that's the place for me.