Mandola CGDA
    Bouzouki GDAD

My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ondrej For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Czech Hymnbook for Mandolin or Mandola or Bouzouki

Interesting, Ondrej. And nicely done. I listened to the whole video thinking that I might hear some variations on tunes used for hymns at my wife's church (Lutheran) and was surprised that I did not recognize any. Of course there are lots of hymns in her Lutheran Hymnal that I also don't recognize.

Thanks. I should add that my favorite of the three instruments you are playing is that mandola. Very attractive and nice sound.

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Interesting, Ondrej. And nicely done. I listened to the whole video thinking that I might hear some variations on tunes used for hymns at my wife's church (Lutheran) and was surprised that I did not recognize any. Of course there are lots of hymns in her Lutheran Hymnal that I also don't recognize.

Thanks. I should add that my favorite of the three instruments you are playing is that mandola. Very attractive and nice sound.
    Thank you for your response. They are the Czech Catholic hymns. I'd be surprised if someone knew in the USA. But it's a nice melody. That is why I arranged.
    I like to share the music from Czech.
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

This is nice Ondrej.

My family heritage is Czech. This reminds me of the church I was baptized in, a beautiful old brick St Wenceslaus Catholic church with a big round stained glass window of St. Wenceslaus as a knight on his white horse above the altar.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	church.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	153644

There is a Czech bakery a few blocks from my home, founded in 1908 where we go to get kolache, hoska and other Czech food and pastries. It is down the street from the U.S. national Czech and Slovak museum featuring Czech and Slovak immigrants to the U.S. and ties to the old country.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    This is nice Ondrej.

My family heritage is Czech. This reminds me of the church I was baptized in, a beautiful old brick St Wenceslaus Catholic church with a big round stained glass window of St. Wenceslaus as a knight on his white horse above the altar.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	church.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	153644

There is a Czech bakery a few blocks from my home, founded in 1908 where we go to get kolache, hoska and other Czech food and pastries. It is down the street from the U.S. national Czech and Slovak museum featuring Czech and Slovak immigrants to the U.S. and ties to the old country.
    Thank you for your lovely reply. The church is located in which city?
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

The second one, Boze, cos racil, I've heard at Polish-language Masses here in Baltimore. I'm sure there's A LOT of music crossed, and still crosses, the Carpathian Mountains.

I believe it's called, in Polish, Boze Cos Polske.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wgXGeMZz5VQ

Thank you for your lovely reply. The church is located in which city?
    It is in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

The area had a significant amount of Czech and Slovak immigration in the late 1800s. My father's family came here in the 1850s and mothers family in the 1890s and early 1900's. Antonin Dvorak stayed in a small town about 100 miles(160 km) north of here where he had the inspiration and may have started his New World Symphony. He was brought there for rest because of the connection with the Czech immigrant population who made him quite welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stec View Post
    The second one, Boze, cos racil, I've heard at Polish-language Masses here in Baltimore. I'm sure there's A LOT of music crossed, and still crosses, the Carpathian Mountains.

I believe it's called, in Polish, Boze Cos Polske.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wgXGeMZz5VQ
    Yes. It was originally a Polish melodies. Czech text writes about Saints Cyril and Methodius.
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    It is in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

The area had a significant amount of Czech and Slovak immigration in the late 1800s. My father's family came here in the 1850s and mothers family in the 1890s and early 1900's. Antonin Dvorak stayed in a small town about 100 miles(160 km) north of here where he had the inspiration and may have started his New World Symphony. He was brought there for rest because of the connection with the Czech immigrant population who made him quite welcome.
    Yes I know Iowa. I just had never visited. But in 2009 I won a Composition contest at Iowa State University. I just do not record:-(
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube

for Tres Cubano
    My books - books
    My videos -YouTube
    Duo UF UF - YouTube