Thread: Pava A5 vs Girouard A5 - how do they compare?

Default Pava A5 vs Girouard A5 - how do they compare?

I can't foresee me being in the market for a new mandolin anytime soon, but increasingly I am of the opinion that (especially if I were to buy new), two on the shortlist would be A5 instruments from Pava or Girouard. Both makers offer higher-spec A5 models that cost a little north of $3,000.

Simple question: has anyone here got experience of both, and if so, how well might they emerge from a comparison test?

For reference: my preferred musical forms are blues, jazz, and folk and Irish traditional - with only a very occasional detour into bluegrass.

Default Re: Pava A5 vs Girouard A5 - how do they compare?

The Pavas tend to be a little darker in tone than the Girouards. That said, remember, Pavas are adirondack topped. With a Girouard, there's cedar, engelmann, adirondack, and and a plethora of other back and side woods. Max is also very interested in the tone that his customers want and will adjust his builds accordingly.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

I considered both, ended up with Girouard #79. Although Max does use a lot of variation of woods, every Girouard I have played shared a certain tonal quality I will describe as sweet and balanced. They have a full powerful tone. They are not what I think of as "bluegrass" tone, which I hear as raw, woody, mid-range punchy. The fit and finish is spectacular, as good as any mando out there.

For the past four years I have spent time at the Ellis/Pava booth at IBMA. I have found a lot of variation in the tone and volume of the mandos in that booth. There have been two that have stood out above the rest. A Pava A a few years ago that was head and shoulders above every other mando in the booth and most at the show. A true bluegrass cannon! I wish I had written down the serial number and pursued it. That one still haunts me. Last year there was a Pava F that just had a little something the others did not. Sounded old and woody compared to the rest.

For the type of music you listed, I would steer you toward the Girouard. Others may hear things differently.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ferrousgeek For This Useful Post:

I have not played a Girouard A5, but I own a Pava A5 that I will never let go - it is superb! Responsive, great tone, it has it all (even stays in tune well! LOL!!) From what the others say, it sound like you will not go wrong whichever you would pick. What a nice choice to have!

7. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Ron - Didn't you play a Girouard mandolin at TAMCO on one of your visits home ?. I seem to remember 'somebody' saying that it was a superb mandolin & that the Girouard & Ellis mandolins were their favourites. With what we know of any mandolin,even from the same builder & even consecutive serial #'s sounding different,it would be hard to make a case for one or the other 'on paper'.

Somehow,i can't help feeling that the Pava's might have a ''family tone'' coming from Tom Ellis' workshop - but whether any single one would appeal more than another.................. ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I did play a Girouard at TAMCO a couple of years ago, and recall thinking it was rather wonderful, but specific memories in comparison to the many other fine instruments I played there in a very short time have become a bit hazy to say the least

It's obvious that Pava mandolins have very quickly acquired a well-deserved reputation for excellence, but it is also fascinating to hear so much praise for the Girouards - praise no doubt every bit as well-deserved. I wish I was in the market right now, because the range of quality mandolins in the $3,000-$4,000 price bracket from small shop custom luthiers is astonishing, with Sorensen, Jacobson, Black, Poe and others all producing lovely instruments.

My Pava has always given me anything I asked of it-- and it consistently astounds everyone with how much sustain it has. This may or may not be a trait you are after, but if you play alone, or with one other instrument, that extra sustain is like gold.

11. The following members say thank you to jshane for this post:

I own a Girouard A model, and have played many Pava A's as well. If I didn't own a Girouard, I would own a Pava. They are both that good.

Given your musical preferences, I would go with the Girouard. I think the post and evaluation of ferrousgeek above as to the differences between the two is pretty spot-on.

Of course, whichever you decide to go with, if you ultimately do decide, will make you a happy camper. Then there is the issue of price, if that factors into your decision, which would also make the Girouard more attractive.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post:

I have a Girouard mandola that is deep rich and warm. I gave up an excellent Old Wave mandola to get it, but never looked back. The Girouard is simply one of my favorite instruments and I really enjoy playing it both with others and here solo. Mine has a dark rich tone and truly sounds like no other mandolin family instrument I have played. As I have never played another I cannot generalize. The videos from the Music Emporium demonstrate solid tone that I would like to have. I have an Ellis F5 that after playing a few Pavas at Carters is in the same tonal school. Also, the fit and finish and playability of ever Pava I have played is just as stellar as it's Ellis cousins. Fortunately I don't have to choose and will keep my Girouard and my Ellis. Were I in need of an instrument, I would not hesitate to buy either.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

15. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    how well might they emerge from a comparison test?

For reference: my preferred musical forms are blues, jazz, and folk and Irish traditional - with only a very occasional detour into bluegrass.
    A buddy and I did a side-by-side of those two instruments at Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz last December. Both of them were built well and played easily. For tone, the Girouard was a bit woodier, and the Pava was a bit fuller and punchier. For bluegrass, I'd go with the Pava, but for what you're playing, either could work just fine, although I might go with the Girouard for blues. The Pava is priced $600 higher than the Girouard, which to me seems in the ballpark. Maybe a touch high in comparison, but nothing I'd argue with anybody about.

Has anybody played either of these mandos side-by-side with a Collings MT or MT2?
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

17. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

I would also mention that max is more likely to finish with French polish at a lower price point compared with Pava, and that can make a big difference in volume.

19. The following members say thank you to dschonbrun for this post:

I can only speak about Girouard mandolins and mandolas. I have yet to play a Pava. I have a stellar Girouard mandola, really an exceptional instrument. I have an oval hole 2 point mandolin under construction by Max right now. I think he and Lauri and building some really great mandolins, mandolas, octaves, and soon mandocellos these days. NFI.

Truth is, it would be hard to go wrong with either a Pava or a Girouard.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I had a Pava. It was beautifully made but I didn't love it. I think it was just off the usual standard in terms of tone. It's a truism, but if you can play before you buy, that's always a good idea. All of that said, the Girouards are supposed to be really nice. I wouldn't be afraid to try another Pava at some point, but the Girouards are one of the hot builds right now. That's the way I'd jump.
    Ellis A5 Tradition, Red Diamond F5, Duff F5, D35, Gliga violin.
    http://www.michaelromkey.com
    http://www.bucktownrevue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Romkey View Post
    I had a Pava. It was beautifully made but I didn't love it. I think it was just off the usual standard in terms of tone. It's a truism, but if you can play before you buy, that's always a good idea. All of that said, the Girouards are supposed to be really nice. I wouldn't be afraid to try another Pava at some point, but the Girouards are one of the hot builds right now. That's the way I'd jump.
    Since you've revived a 5 year old thread, my natural inclination is to ask the OP: did you make a decision??
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

23. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post: