Thread: Any experience with Smoky Mountain Guitars?

Default Any experience with Smoky Mountain Guitars?

Scouring the internet this morning for good acoustic music shops to visit (either online or in person), and seemed to recall a high-end shop in east Tennessee -- a Google maps search jogged my memory and I recalled it was Smoky Mountain Guitars in Pigeon Forge. However, something surprised me after my search: out of 17 reviews, the shop had accrued a 2.5 out of five star rating, with many people complaining that the owner is all sorts of rude and dismissive. For comparison, Carter has 4.8 stars, Gruhn's 4.4, and the Music Emporium 4.9. Anyone have any experience with the shop up-close and personal? I'm curious to hear since their low rating seems to be an anomaly within the clade of high-pedigree stores.
    ~David Chernack

2003 Lawrence Smart A5 #145
    2011 Kentucky KM-1000
    2010 Kentucky KM-150
    1961 Silvertone 3/4 octave mandolin conversion
    2015 Eastman E20D

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

Default Re: Any experience with Smoky Mountain Guitars?

I visited Smokey Mountain Guitars when my wife and I went to Gatlinburg for our 20th anniversary. The owner was very nice when I was there and pulled out some Altmans for me to try (as a Bourgeois owner) just for comparison sake. He knew I wasn't buying that day. Also had me try out the 1934 F7 that had come in recently (and appears to still be available). I would definitely stop back in again if given a chance. How close did the fires come to that shop? I really don't know.

Doug
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

Smokey Mountain Guitars is still there; the fires got fairly close to that area but all the stores and tourist attractions in that area are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky But Funky View Post
    I visited Smokey Mountain Guitars when my wife and I went to Gatlinburg for our 20th anniversary. The owner was very nice when I was there and pulled out some Altmans for me to try (as a Bourgeois owner) just for comparison sake. He knew I wasn't buying that day. Also had me try out the 1934 F7 that had come in recently (and appears to still be available). I would definitely stop back in again if given a chance. How close did the fires come to that shop? I really don't know.

Doug
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dchernack View Post
    Scouring the internet this morning for good acoustic music shops to visit (either online or in person), and seemed to recall a high-end shop in east Tennessee -- a Google maps search jogged my memory and I recalled it was Smoky Mountain Guitars in Pigeon Forge. However, something surprised me after my search: out of 17 reviews, the shop had accrued a 2.5 out of five star rating, with many people complaining that the owner is all sorts of rude and dismissive. For comparison, Carter has 4.8 stars, Gruhn's 4.4, and the Music Emporium 4.9. Anyone have any experience with the shop up-close and personal? I'm curious to hear since their low rating seems to be an anomaly within the clade of high-pedigree stores.
    I've only been in a couple of times, but my experiences were positive.

I bought my Passernig mandolin there and enjoyed working with the owner. No complaints. It's not a huge store like Carter's or Gruhn's.
    Passernig #42

"An anomaly within the clade" . . . you're raising the bar for us other poor posters around here.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

I also bought my Passernig there, ten years ago next month. They were very nice. I bought it before it was finished and gave them my credit card but they didn't charge me until they sent it and seemed very easy about returns (which didn't happen). A few years later I had lost my invoice and needed it to insure the mandolin and they emailed me a copy. Thumbs up from me.
    Cary Fagan

Bought my new Ellis F5 from SMG in March 2015. The emails and several phone conversations I had with Dan were nothing but pleasant. Haven't had the opportunity to visit in person.

I spoke with the owner on the phone about a mandolin a year or so ago. I found him to be very enthusiastic. I'd stop in for sure if I were in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    "An anomaly within the clade" . . . you're raising the bar for us other poor posters around here.
    "Tell me about Capt. Reynaud"
    "He's just like any other man except a little more so."

That aside, after being in the retail business for most of my life, I understand someone having a bad day or two, right up until it comes to dealing with me!
    Everyone has bad days, I have mellowed (slightly) over the years. The place has pretty obviously had a rough run for the last few months. What is the impetus for your query?

So, Jaycat, is it time to embark on another "Bogey "quote down""?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

"I gave up drinking once -- it was the worst afternoon of my entire life."

Not to hijack the thread or anything . . .

11. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Huh. Thanks for the input everyone! I guess now more than ever we should think twice before believing what we see on the internet. Cary, is yours the one with pictures still up on the site? Looks gorgeous! The only Passernig I've played was an A-style mandola and I loved it. http://www.smokymountainguitars.com/...rch_highlight1

Also, a quote-down sounds like quite the contest... I'd be interested to see how that turns out!
    ~David Chernack

2003 Lawrence Smart A5 #145
    2011 Kentucky KM-1000
    2010 Kentucky KM-150
    1961 Silvertone 3/4 octave mandolin conversion
    2015 Eastman E20D

Bought a banjo from them a few years ago. They were great to deal with.

Good guy. Suspect does not tolerate fools well. I am better at that myself after more law practicing!!

Well worth a visit, and don't be in a hurry. He's just down the road, I should go visit!
    Stephen Perry

"Well, drinking in the afternoon, now you're beginning to act like a Frenchman!"

"French 75's, beginning here and ending...here!"
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I bought a used Martin D-18 Authentic from them back in 2010. I live in France and arranged it so that my sister that lives in Knoxville, TN could pick it up. They charged me an extra $50 for the amount of an empty guitar box they said they'd ship to another sister that lives out of state, but didn't. That was a little sketchy, but I love the guitar & would buy from them again. When you're spending that much on a guitar, an extra $50 is pocket change.
    Joseph

I have been to the shop many times, and have come across the owners at festivals and such. Agree with everyone that has posted; extremely nice folks and I would imagine they would be wonderful to deal with. The only thing I have noticed is that they tend to really 'push' whatever hot builder they have at the moment. Merrill, Hooper, Altman, and Preston Thompson have all been represented by the shop for varying lengths of time. 'Flavor of the month' sort of thing. But hey, it is retail after all.