Thread: Co2 as propellant

Default Co2 as propellant

I seen an article were Dale Erlewine used a large tank(50lb?) of c02 as a propellant for spraying spot jobs. Anyone tried this? What kind of gauges/fittings do you need to go from the tank to an air hose? If I were only finishing 6 instruments a year, how many tanks of gas so you think I would go through using this to only spray clear? Thanx

Default Re: Co2 as propellant

50lb tank - $200ish
    CO2 to fill up/exchange tank - $30ish
    Low-pressure regulator - $100ish
    Various fittings- $20
    Running out of CO2 in the middle of a spray job - priceless

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    50lb tank - $200ish
    Various fittings- $20
    I'm guessing that's a no? Lol, I paint cars for a living(actually ambulances now), and was looking for something really quite. Those cheap compressors make a ridiculous amount of noise for my close neighbors to complain about.

I think CO2, or better yet, nitrogen, is a really nice way to get compressed air. For me, personally, it wouldn't work because of the cost and the hassle of having to remember to swap out tanks. There are some quiet, reasonably priced compressors made by California Air Compressors sold on Amazon. I use them at the college machine shop I run. They are OK quality imports, definitely not Ingersoll-Rand quality, but for a lutherie shop not doing production jobs, they would last many years. They last about two years running almost continuously in the machine shop, and are 60db or so of noise, which isn't bad at all. About like a window unit running.

50lb tank - $200ish
    Various fittings- $20
    I'm guessing that's a no? Lol, I paint cars for a living(actually ambulances now), and was looking for something really quite. Those cheap compressors make a ridiculous amount of noise for my close neighbors to complain about.

Sorry smart phone, dumb user.

8. The following members say thank you to Moretzmando for this post:

I think CO2, or better yet, nitrogen, is a really nice way to get compressed air. For me, personally, it wouldn't work because of the cost and the hassle of having to remember to swap out tanks. There are some quiet, reasonably priced compressors made by California Air Compressors sold on Amazon. I use them at the college machine shop I run. They are OK quality imports, definitely not Ingersoll-Rand quality, but for a lutherie shop not doing production jobs, they would last many years. They last about two years running almost continuously in the machine shop, and are 60db or so of noise, which isn't bad at all. About like a window unit running.
    I seen those on Home Depot's site, might give one a try. Thank you Marty. I was quoted $55.00 a year for rent on a 75lb c02 tank. Was considering two, but the truck also comes by my house couple times a week.i tried to do some math with the cfm and decided I have no idea how long of actual spray time it takes to put one coat of finish on a guitar.

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

I have a cal-air compressor I run my engraving equipment with and its quiet as a church mouse.

This is the one I got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NO...ID=91pPm5vV4oL
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead