Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mapes strings

Default Re: Mapes strings

I've been hanging onto my Mapes for a couple of months now. They seem to be holding up pretty good. Previously, I was using Gibson Sam Bush strings that I had stockpiled. About a year ago I tried the Mapes but, to be honest, I didn't really give them a chance and I took the off a the start of day #2. I realize my judgement was premature and decided to try them again. I'm not unhappy.

My body chemistry requires me to change strings more often than most and I'd rather spend a weekend in jail than change strings. The Mapes strings hold up better and allow me to change strings less often, they sound good and the price is very competitive.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I got around to replacing the Mapes strings with GHS Bobby Osborne strings on my KM-956 and it does sound better than with the Mapes but as I have posted on here not all mandolins like the same strings, the Mapes sound great on my Ratliff and F-5L copy so they will stay on those for a while longer, I do have a show to play tomorrow and after that I will change the strings on the Ratliff and let you know if the GHS`s sound better on it also...I will make a special order to Mapes for some heavier A and E strings if I buy any more of them...A good deal for the price....

W.P.

On a slightly related note...
    I was checking out a Feb. 18, 1924 Loar at Gryphons the other day and there were a couple of ancient Mapes string folders in the case!

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

I remember the days when Mapes packaged extra strings in each set....I always thought that was a good idea because when I change strings it seems that I usually mess one string up, lucky me if it was the same string that they packaged as an extra...

Willie

"I remember the days when Mapes packaged extra strings in each set....I always thought that was a good idea because when I change strings it seems that I usually mess one string up, lucky me if it was the same string that they packaged as an extra...

Willie"

Dude! You're really old, I don't even remember Mapes and I'M too old to take seriously!

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Having played two sets of Mapes I am back to GHS A270's ! I like the sound of GHS better !