Thread: Waverly tuners

Default Waverly tuners

I've got an Ibanez AVT1NT that's rapidly become my go-to guitar. I've noticed when tuning up and when changing strings that the stock tuners/machine heads have some rattle and slop to them.

I was thinking of upgrading to Waverly tuners since they seem to be very highly regarded. It does give me pause though, when the tuners cost half of the guitar. I know as tenor players we don't have as many options when it comes to guitars, so maybe I shouldn't overthink it. Has anyone installed Waverlys on their Ibanez or similar tenor?

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Waverly tuners

Banjo tuners are an interesting alternative, I use them on virtually evey tenor I own or build.
    However you will be left with the original tuner screw holes showing, although that might also be the case with any replacements!

Waverlys are the best..... However
    Recently i used these waverly-style grover tuners on a project and i have been very happy with them... 1/3 the price....

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...Cf0aAn-q8P8HAQ

I have Waverley's on my 00 model 6-string - snakewood - and they're excellent. But they were expensive - £250 GBS, and that was 5 years ago...

I have 1930s style tuners on my tenor - can't remember what make they are - and they tune very nicely indeed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2017-02-15 at 13.48.55.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	153999

Those are probably Grovers but without seeing the back I can't tell. A few makers are using that style button these days.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I'll have to mull over the Grovers versus Waverlys, although I think if I can be patient with saving up the money I may as well go big. I'll have to get out my calipers and the Stewmac dimensions pictures and see if one is a closer fit than the other.

If you buy two sets for a total of 12 tuners, then use four for yourself you can probably sell two sets of four for the other tenor folks that might want them and end up getting your four at a greatly discounted price. The initial investment is more, the end result would probably be less. Just sayin'.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I asked the folks at Stew Mac if they'd be willing to sell me four of the vintage oval waverly tuners... got a fast and friendly reply, and they quoted exactly 2/3rds of the price of a full set of six.

Grovers are great, I have used them on several instruments and have had no issues. Great value.

Quote Originally Posted by dburtnett View Post
    I asked the folks at Stew Mac if they'd be willing to sell me four of the vintage oval waverly tuners... got a fast and friendly reply, and they quoted exactly 2/3rds of the price of a full set of six.
    I was going to say, if you call Stew-Mac to order them, they will be able to sell you just four. I've got a set of Waverlys on my Blueridge BR40-T, and I've gotta say, they're hard to beat. Love 'em. Good luck.
    Last edited by TenorMan; Mar-02-2017 at 4:03pm.