Thread: Bowlback "Improved Jupiter" Mandolin

Post Bowlback "Improved Jupiter" Mandolin

Hello!
    I found at a friend's house an old mandolin in a bad condition, that seems to be from the 1900's.
    The only brand mark that it has is inside and says "Improved Jupiter".
    Searching info about it online, I found that some people mentioned "Improved Jupiter" as a type of Lyon & Healy's mandolin, but I'm not sure about that... so i'd be glad to know at least the year of manufacturing and the manufacturer.
    I'll attach some pictures below.
    Thanks a lot! Greetings from Uruguay!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Archivo_003.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	680.2 KB 
ID:	153994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Archivo_000.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	982.6 KB 
ID:	153995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Archivo_002.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	540.4 KB 
ID:	153996  

Default Re: Bowlback "Improved Jupiter" Mandolin

I can't help with the info you require, but it doesn't seem in bad condition. Does it have any cracks on top or on the bowl.
    If the neck is straight, get new tuning machine, a new bridge, clean the fret board, put some extra light strings on (32-9) and give it a go.These things sound beautiful and deserve to start living again.
    You can find the tuning machines on e-bay for as low as 10 USD (just make sure that the measures match)
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

It was a Lyon & Healy brand name circa 1900 per Mugwumps. It looks like a basic L&H bowlback from that era. Measure the tuners post center to post center and watch eBay for a set of those tuners. Frank Ford has also cautioned in another post on his site about making sure the length of the post is long enough. You probably can't tie down to the exact year as to when it was manufactured. Jim Garber might have a catalog page for one these. Lyon and Healy would have manufactured it in Chicago, Illinois.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I recall reading somewhere that the Jupiter line came from unfinished stock that L+H acquired when they purchased the original Regal works out of Indianapolis.

Or maybe that was the Lakeside line? I don't recall, but will check in Bob Carlin's book when I get home this evening.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig