Thread: '69 Gibson EM-200 - Introductions, Tailpiece, Bridge & Pickup

Default '69 Gibson EM-200 - Introductions, Tailpiece, Bridge & Pickup

Hi everyone. I've followed discussions on the forums for years, but never participated. My first mandolin was a 1930s Silvertone that sounded so wonderful, but needed a neck set and more effort than I felt like putting into it.

So, I kept quiet until I got this new baby.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BUwhkin.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	397.7 KB 
ID:	154017

It's all original except for the tailpiece. I'm probably going to keep the current one until I can source a period correct Gibson piece that isn't too prohibitive, unless someone might suggest a better one. I plan to play this a lot, and I prefer function to form, though I typically bag and tag any vintage parts and save them in a box for later.

I've also been thinking about the bridge on this. It's not really intoned at all; it's just a bar with slots, as you can see. My thought was that if I could get a nice tailpiece with a piezo mic built in, I could run the wire up under the pick guard, along the edge of the pickup, and down through the internal routs, and wire it into the existing output jack, where I'd perform some sort of wiring magic (either run it parallel with the P90, or drop in a stereo output jack which defaults to the P90).

Again, any suggestions for a bridge pickup would be very much appreciated.

Name:	O6LJxpJ.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	351.4 KB 
ID:	154018

Anyway, I hope you dig this little two point "Florentine." I'm in love. Here are a few more photos.

Name:	RLbxIH7.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	397.5 KB 
ID:	154019

Name:	BwskOte.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	324.2 KB 
ID:	154020

Name:	RjtDUM8.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	323.1 KB 
ID:	154021

Name:	lKwvx5J.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	287.5 KB 
ID:	154022

Default Re: '69 Gibson EM-200 - Introductions, Tailpiece, Bridge & Pickup

Nice, is it solid body? The bridge change is a good idea, but you won't be able to parallel a pickup to the P90, they have huge differences in impedance and the bridge pickup will need a preamp. You could put in a stereo jack and run a tip ring sleeve with the P90 on the tip so if you want to use a regular cord it will work, but not the bridge pickup.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Ya know LHRev, it's so beautiful as it is, I would not change a thing, except maybe get the tailpiece cover. Just plug into a great amp and rock on.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lenf12 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Nice, is it solid body? The bridge change is a good idea, but you won't be able to parallel a pickup to the P90, they have huge differences in impedance and the bridge pickup will need a preamp. You could put in a stereo jack and run a tip ring sleeve with the P90 on the tip so if you want to use a regular cord it will work, but not the bridge pickup.
    Yep. Gibson made the first solid body mandolins. The first ones were made in '54 and ran until '71. In '66, the pickguard went from a half guard to a wrap-around like the one you see on mine. They actually did the same thing to the Gibson SG guitars - half guard to "batwing" in the same year.

Thanks for the reminder on the impedance. Looks like my second option of putting in the stereo jack is the way I'll need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    Ya know LHRev, it's so beautiful as it is, I would not change a thing, except maybe get the tailpiece cover. Just plug into a great amp and rock on.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    I own heaps of vintage guitars, basses, and amps. I play every single one of them on the regular. I don't ever do anything that isn't reversible and would never ever consider screwing with something's originality.

Having said that, there are a few parts of a vintage instrument you can fix without getting in trouble, and one of those is the output jack. We've all plugged into or heard a jack at some point in our lives that sounds like someone is trying break out of an old garbage can.

Beautiful instrument, I've got a '59 myself. It's really designed to be a solidbody instrument with the P90, not sure how well the bridge pickup would work. It certainly wouldn't vibrate as much as on an acoustic mando.

Welcome to the board. BTW, there is a whole section lower down devoted to the electrics:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/fo...ring-Electrics
    Last edited by jefflester; Feb-15-2017 at 6:43pm. Reason: spelling typo

Here's a previous thread on the idea of adding a piezo to an EM200:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-hybrid-ideas&

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    Here's a previous thread on the idea of adding a piezo to an EM200:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-hybrid-ideas&
    You rock, thanks! I actually did a search for EM-200, but not EM200, which is probably why I missed that.

The vibrations through the bridge should be sufficient to be picked up by the mic, as long as it's a piezo and not a surface mount. The solid body will change the output compared to a hollow body, but I think that the results will be very beautiful, and sound very acoustic, in the same way a piezo on a solid body guitar does.

I have a '64. I could not stand the ringing I got from that original metal saddle so replaced it with a compensated ebony one. Not the whole bridege but just the top (saddle). Sounds much better IMHO.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I have a '64. I could not stand the ringing I got from that original metal saddle so replaced it with a compensated ebony one. Not the whole bridege but just the top (saddle). Sounds much better IMHO.
    That's what I planned as well. Not for the ringing, but more for the intonation. You can really hear it out of tune at the 12th fret.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftHandRev View Post
    That's what I planned as well. Not for the ringing, but more for the intonation. You can really hear it out of tune at the 12th fret.
    I got a compensated aluminum saddle for my EM from Rigel many years ago. It fit right where the posts are so there was no modification necessary. The intonation is perfect with sustain to spare, if that's what you're looking for.