Thread: Soundhole differences

I see a lot of A style mandolins with f shaped soundholes and many with round soundholes. I understand there are other factors such as wood type but in general what is the difference between the mandolins with the different soundhole shapes soundwise? Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Ken

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

Generally, and I do mean generally because as you pointed out there are an awful lot of other variables here, f hole mandolins have a more percussive tone and a little more projection, oval hole mandolins have more overtones, and a "rounder" sound, but again, these are general statements and I'd really recommend getting some play time on as many of each different type as you can. You'll start hearing some of the similarities based on soundhole style, but you'll also hear how different they can sound too.
    Mid-western Ken.
    Peace

the bracing is a factor too Across the grain on ovals, [though some modern builders add an X brace,]
    F hole mostly run near parrallel to the grain, [though there is an X brace option here too.]
    Traditionally its either or with bracing pattern part of the deal
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The woods used in the mandolin will also influence the tone greatly, as well as the construction methods (e.g., carved-top vs. flat-top).

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

I think it is time and energy well spent to discover the differences on your own.

From my experience, f-holes give you a cutting sound that pierces through the sound mix. This is great for styles of music where you will be taking solos on your own against the ryhtm, because the focus will be on your lead playing.

I play alot of fiddle-centric unison type playing. Since f-holes cut through so well, I find they compete with the fiddle, which is something I try and avoid. Conversely, oval holes have a rounder tone, and instead of cutting through and competing with a fiddle, they buttress the sound of a fiddle, which is what I'm usually after...they are more "with the mix" vice "through the mix" instruments.

In ryhthm playing there are also differences. For chop bluegrass rhythm, f-holes will offer the percussive, barky chop that most bluegrassers are after. Oval-holes have more sustain, and in my opinion are better suited for strumming chords and bass runs...they have some chop, but not the ballsy chop most bluegrassers are after.

As has been said, mandolins vary greatly, even this oval hole vs. that oval hole, or this f-hole vs. that f-hole.

I like both sounds (F and oval hole)and now have one of each, although the F hole is more versitile for me.
    Keep it acoustic.

"rounder" sound,"

i like that- it is an interesting way of describing the acoustic differences. i have found, especially now having an f and oval holed instrument, that the tonal difference is absolutely real, and has to do with the overtones and the sustain, and that certain intangible difference that is so hard to describe in words. i do find that for playing in a folk duet with an acoustic guitar, that the oval hole lends itself more to filling in the gaps, allowing the guitarist to solo over the mando, and creating a richer sound.the oval also sounds great as well for a nice rock, blues or folk solo that is a little fuller in sound and a tad muddy at times. when we get a little more choppy (friend of the devil, catfish john, etc...), or try to do more percussive types of solos- faster with the attempt for each note to be stacato and heard distinctly, that the f-holes are superior.

Mandroid mentioned this, but let me expand. A round hole mandolin is more likely to have x braces (braces like a flattop guitar, which make an "x" just below the soundhole), and an f-hole mandolin is more likely to have tone bars that run up and down the length of the instrument (like an archtop guitar). I think these differences probably make more difference than the shape of the sound hole itself, but the shape of the soundhole is more visible, and may get more of the credit than is warranted.

These are all huge generalities, there is so much difference maker to maker, instrument to instrument. You've got to listen to the instruments.

Keep in mind to that the old Gibson A's, which I've always thought of as the standard in oval-holes (could be wrong here), have neiter X nor tone-bar braces,but only a single brace below the sound hole but above the bridge (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I have an A4 and an A(zip) and they are both with a cross/thawartships brace. and an F5type, which is as described .
    Newer builders have made the X brace an option, don't have one of those, about which to testify.
    'I wanna testify'
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have an A4 and an A(zip) and they are both with a cross/thawartships brace. and an F5type, which is as described .
    Newer builders have made the X brace an option, don't have one of those, about which to testify.
    'I wanna testify'
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

'I wanna testify'
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture