Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collings MT and Weber Bitterroot F: newbie play test this weekend

Default Collings MT and Weber Bitterroot F: newbie play test this weekend

After reading the forums this last year, I've focused in on the Collings MT and the Weber Bitterroot as my main choices to upgrade. And as it turns out, the local music store (Dusty Strings) has a new one of each in stock right now! They are almost exactly the same price. I would love to also be able to throw a Pava A-5 and a Northfield into the mix (can't remember which one runs in the low $2000s new), as many of you have highlighted their virtues as well, but neither of those are in stock to play.

I have only been playing for a year, so I'll be curious to see if I can tell any difference between them. I'm also curious if I'll even notice much difference from my current ride, a Kentucky 805.

I'll post and let you know what differences I am able to discern as a newbie after playing them this weekend (I'm not trying to start a Collings vs Weber thread, as there have been quite a few electrons spilled on that topic already, just sharing my MAS I suppose!)

Default Re: Collings MT and Weber Bitterroot F: newbie play test this wee

Have fun comparing, take your time and come back to them in a day or so to see if your impressions of them stay the same. Make sure you attempt to evaluate from an even playing field, a lot can happen to a new mando with regards to setup, strings and so forth. I am sure you will enjoy either one of these fine instruments.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

I played a Collings MT a few years ago & it sounded very nice. But - although i haven't played a Pava,if as i believe,they have a 'family resemblance' in tone to the Ellis stable,then tonally,i'd expect the Pava to have a more complex tone,one that would suit almost any genre of music. With Tom Ellis' go-to strings on my Ellis "A" style GHS A270's - it sings !!. That said,play hard driving Bluegrass music on it & it 'bites' !!!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Went and played the Collings MT, the Bitterroot, and a Northfield F5S this morning. I liked them all, for sure. I don't have enough of an ear after just a year of playing to detect the differences that others have discerned. That said, the Collings was my favorite -- the sound seemed crisper (and louder), and it just felt very playable. The Weber seemed more subtle, didn't make me feel like a better player right away like the Collings did. The Northfield was in the middle for me. Anyway, not very sophisticated in my analysis, but from everyone has written, hard to make a bad choice from that group. I like the look of this Collings, but not sure if the satin finish is durable enough for someone who tends to bang things around a bit.

The satin finish on my MT has held up well so far (I've had it about 4 months, not long I know). I tend to be careful with my instruments, but they do get played hard, and I sometimes brush my pinky. So far, no issues. That said, one of my local shops asked me not to touch the top with my pinky when I was there trying them out. Wasn't a problem, as I generally strive for the Thile/Compton grip, but it did surprise me a little. They are very careful with their merchandise, though, and actually use clear removable pick guard covers to keep their guitar pick guards from getting scratched up. Understandable, given the caliber of instruments they deal with...
    Chuck

There is no better judge of a mandolin for you than you.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Johngdon, You are correct that the Weber sounds more subtle - I own a Weber, and it is a more subtle instrument. My Weber and my Pava are both complex instruments in their sound, but the Weber is more subtle and the Pava is more brilliant in sound. Both are wonderful instruments in their own way.

Blog Entries

I have an MT-O (that I bought at Dusty Strings, too - great shop). I like it a lot. I have a Weber Rawhide F. I like it a lot. I have a Weber Vintage F. I like it a lot.

Comparison? Well, they ARE different. They DO sound different. What's the difference? I can't even begin because it depends on what side of bed I got out of that morning (and how strongly my tinnitus is making its presence known). And then there is the O vs F comparison, the nut width comparison, the neck profile comparison, la la la. I like 'em all.

You have already found a lot to like in the MT. Get it. But don't count on trading it in on your next mandolin. You'll most likely want to keep it. A sweet Weber can join the MT later. Welcome to my world (MAS Land). Oh, and don't forget: YMMV.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

That was my initial impression on the Weber versus MT Johngdon. I almost backed out of buying my Weber, but after visiting it again, I decided it was me being subtle with it, and not the other way around. When the Weber is ready to be driven, I'd put it right up there with the MT. I purchased my MT satin finish shortly after I started playing the mandolin, and my Weber Bitterroot a year into my mandolin journey. I just replaced my MT with an MT-O, as it better suits the musical styles I like.

What about the necks? Which one is similar to your Kentucky?
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

I've had my MT for a couple years now and it gets played daily. The finish, though satin, is very tough. I "plant" sometimes, but keep the nail on my pinky very short so I don't dig a hole (like I did on my old Eastman), but I am starting to see a shiny spot there on the top where my pinky lands now and again. It just means it's getting used and that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by johngdon View Post
    I'm also curious if I'll even notice much difference from my current ride, a Kentucky 805.
    Many music stores let you bring in an instrument for side-by-side comparisons. As well as you know the sound and feel of your current mando, I find it super-helpful to actually play the current next to the possible new.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Not sure if you had anybody there play them? But if you could have some one play them (hopefully you don't know which instrument) for you, you might get a totally different from the other side opinion.

13. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Blog Entries

Yeah, take the Kentucky in for some good comparison playing. For me after playing in smaller spaces(home and friends home), everything played in a big space seemed to have less volume.

The last time I looked into a mandolin I had the seller play mine and his for me to hear. Most folks don't helping with this if they can.

I went ahead and took the plunge on the Colllings MT! Thanks for all the helpful ideas. I played them all again today, and I did enjoy the Weber more than yesterday (there was less competing noise in the store today), but the MT still stood out for me. Brought it home and used it in a small jam session at my house; the nice chop was noticeable to the gang, although I was not otherwise turned into Chris Thile.

I like your idea, Steve, of having someone else play them without me knowing which one. (Next time I guess!) I'm relieved to see Caleb's comment about how your satin finish is holding up.

16. The following members say thank you to johngdon for this post:

Caleb 

You will love your Collings MT! I got mine last July, and I've barely put it down since. I love the tone and the brightness, and it has made me a much better player. Congrats on your purchase!

While I consider the MT a bit bright for my taste, no one can deny the Collings build quality, and absolute best consistency of anything out there. If I needed a very good mandolin and couldn't play it beforehand, Collings would be at the top of my list.

I still may end up with one as a nice compliment to my dark sounding Silverangel.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    While I consider the MT a bit bright for my taste, no one can deny the Collings build quality, and absolute best consistency of anything out there. If I needed a very good mandolin and couldn't play it beforehand, Collings would be at the top of my list.

I still may end up with one as a nice compliment to my dark sounding Silverangel.
    Slippery slope, there. But my kind of thinkin'.

Next, I (for one) would require a compromise between the Collings and the Silverangel.

Next, well, something somewhat dark, but not fully dark. And of course something somewhat bright but not fully bright to complement it.

And then? Well, we have another dimension - round and firm and fully packed (fullness). If all the above are F-holes, well we surely should duplicate them with oval holes.

Ooo - let's not forget varnish vs nitro. ooo ooo ooo la la.

OK. I still think the MT is a great choice.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

HonketyHank do you also remember LSMFT? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Lucky to not strike out in the choice of a mandolin. A smokin' hot Collings. I remember.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Congrats on your purchase. I have a Collings MT and an amazing early Pava.

My experience with them both is that the Pava is brighter and sweeter overall because of the Red Spruce soundboard. The tonal differences are subtle.

Also the Pava plays beautifully. The Collings MT is punchier at the bottom and needs to be fingered differently to get it produce clear notes. The Pava just sounds amazing when miked. Very clear response and punch. I play every conceivable type of music on them and they both sound great.
    Nic Gellie

Look, everyone should have one. First, to be forced to set up a mandolin yourself, you don't want to blow a great deal by paying for that, and to educate yourself to the realities of how decent a cheapo can be, so when you write that check for the extra $2000 you can be honest with yourself about your motivations. I'm only half joking here. Real pretty and 15% better tone come at a price. Not saying I haven't or won't pay it. It's the extra $3000 on top of that to get another 5% that gives me pause.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Brick. You don't remember LSMFT. I was playing off his statement so round so firm so fully packed, nothing about the cost.

Blog Entries

Brick. You don't remember LSMFT. ...
    But Pops1 and I do.

Sometimes it amazes me how many old far-----ah timers there are on this forum.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

27. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Old fogies that remember old cigarette slogans.
    Been a few years since they were banned.i used to
    Smoke luckys..quit back in the latter half of the last
    Century....makes me sound old eh?