Thread: '30s Kalamazoo for $250 in Tacoma!

Default '30s Kalamazoo for $250 in Tacoma!

Default Re: '30s Kalamazoo for $250 in Tacoma!

D--n!
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Freeman View Post
    He says it's a 1937, but then he says:

"This mandolin features a gorgeous Lloyd Loar era solid Adirondack Red Spruce top,"

Is the seller trying to say that the item does not have the original 1937 top, but instead the top got replaced with a 1924-or-earlier "Lloyd Loar era" top? No wait, he said it's "all original"... so...

Apparently then, the seller is trying to imply that a 1937 mandolin is somehow part of the "Lloyd Loar era", um, I thought Loar left Gibson in 1924?? That's 13 years difference. Not the same "era" at all, as far as Gibson mandolins are concerned?

Maybe it depend on how one chooses to define the word "era". To me, 13 years off is *not* anywhere close to being of that "era". But I suppose to someone (buyer or seller) who looks at all old instruments as being the same (hypothetical example: "93 years old, 79 years old, what's the difference, it's just old"), maybe 1937 would qualify as the "Lloyd Loar era".

Or a marketing strategy... maybe, name-dropping "Lloyd Loar" just complements all the keyword stuffing (Fender, Roland, Yamaha, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, and a couple dozen other famous names) that shows up at the bottom of that listing, clearly unrelated to the item being sold. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence/trust.
    Last edited by Jess L.; Feb-18-2017 at 4:03am.

Marketing hype!

What's with the -

"Archtop Flat top Fender Gibson Marshall Carvin Martin Taylor Yamaha Guild Gretsch Music Man Musicman Mesa Boogie Twin Reverb Amp Amplifier Tube Solid State Strat Stratocaster Tele Telecaster Mustang Junior Jr Les Paul Anderson Prs SE Paul Reed Smith SG P90 P-90 Single Coil Humbucker MIJ CIJ MIA Acoustic Electric Nash G&L Jaguar Vibrato Roland Jazz Chorus Bad Cat Blackstar Peavey Bass Lakland Precision Jazz Guitar Soldano Vox Ovation Adamas Larrivee Seagull Vintage Limited Edition Anniversary Semi-Hollow Semi Hollow A-E Deluxe Reverend Custom Hard Shell Case OHSC Gig Bag Weber Kentucky Collings SS Stewart Harmony Kay Regal Rickenbacker Hilo Breedlove Takamine Adamas Ovation Acoustic Electric Pre-War Pre War A F Style"

??

5. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

The seller is clearly trying to overhype they mandolin. This hyperbole is common on craigslist. They are as well trying to hit as many keyword searches as possible. Poor salesmanship yes but it has no bearing on the instrument itself. No of course it is not a Loar era instrument bit this claim is common with people who dont know much about instruments thinking is sounds good. Still seems like a nice mandolin and a pretty good deal.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roger Moss For This Useful Post:

Well.....using the finest mandolin reference site as a research facility - which the seller may well have done - according to this query
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...Lloyd-Loar-era
    1920's/1930's wasn't decried as not being LL era so by default it 'could' for the purposes of those not better informed ?

Blog Entries

Ugh, I'm on the fence with this one. First, without digging through the old mail Craigslist sends me, the seller has probably come down at least half on the price in the last week or so (I thought I remembered it starting at $600), and yet the price is firm. Combine that with the keyword stuffing the over-selling, and ... it just doesn't smell right, ya know? And Tacoma isn't a short drive for me.

OTOH, this is how bargains are had...

Not to nit-pick, but:

1. The Kalamazoo is not "nearly identical to Gibson's pancake style mandolin," by which I guess the seller means the Army-Navy model. Body shape's significantly different; this one has "shoulders," the Army-Navy didn't.

2. Kalamazoo instruments, a budget line Gibson introduced during the Depression when their regular instrument sales dipped, have absolutely nothing to do with Lloyd Loar. If there was a piece of "Loar era" spruce hanging around the Gibson factory for a decade, it might have been made into this mandolin's top -- pretty unlikely.

3. The ad says "with Guardian case," then you find the case is $50 extra. Not cool.

The one positive comment, is that at $250, the mandolin is quite a bargain (assuming no defects). Googling around, I find no similar Kalamazoos listed for less than $500, and many over $700.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I love my '42 Kzoo KM-12, and it cost a lot more than this one. It consistently earns compliments for its tone. I would jump all over this one, despite the apparent contradictions.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Jeez, tough room. Seems like a no brainer good deal if it's what's pictured, case or not. I didn't take the time to read into the details everyone here has. Based on my decades of buying and selling experience I'd size this seller up as a generalist, not versed in mandolin history or even musical instruments, who employs the usual tools of the online selling trade. I don't necessarily infer any deception on his or her part. Anyone in the Tacoma area who's interested can easily assess it; anyone from remote can take it or leave it. If I wanted one of these I'd consider it, doing reasonable due diligence. It ain't that much money or risk in this day and age.

13. The following members say thank you to Doug Freeman for this post:

So what if the seller is not a mandolin expert? It still seems like a good deal to me.

In fact, I often buy from sellers who know less than I do............

15. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

If I was close I would love to check it out
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

A few months ago I saw one like this on CL for $350 but it was about an hour away from me. I couldn't find the time to go check it out. I would have been all over it had it been in my town. I'm with Allen on this, For $250 I would jump on it assuming it checks out OK.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Listing deleted already.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    Listing deleted already.
    It popped up again in my search agent email. So maybe a different ad, so one will have to a search on Seattle Craigslist if interested. (EDIT: dug the mail out of the trash: https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/msg/6010091230.html)

I'd go look, but I'm busy trying to convince the wife that I need the Pava F5 in the classifieds.

20. The following members say thank you to Mike Stewart for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stewart View Post
    It popped up again ...
    Yup, it's back (clicky). Still has all the shady keyword spam at the bottom of the listing.

I see one thing different this time around, or maybe I just didn't notice it before since I was distracted by other details, now there's mention of:

"a 1/2" hairline crack on the brace directly under the sound hole, but does not affect playability"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stewart View Post
    ... I'd go look, but I'm busy trying to convince the wife that I need the Pava F5 in the classifieds.

Blog Entries

And it's back again: https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/msg/6020493581.html It had briefly disappeared, came back, disappeared, and is back again for $350. Was $400 yesterday.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

This is a (sort of) helpful thread to follow, if a bit frustrating.

I've got a KM11 that I'm going to be putting up for sale shortly. Not sure what to price it at given the weird and wild range I see on the Ebay and now apparently on CL. CL ad suggests one large. That's nuts.

I've had a few of these over the years and like them a lot. I've got two now and should really let one of them go. Nice mandolins.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Marketing hype!

What's with the -

"Archtop Flat top Fender Gibson Marshall Carvin Martin Taylor Yamaha Guild Gretsch Music Man Musicman Mesa Boogie Twin Reverb Amp Amplifier Tube Solid State Strat Stratocaster Tele Telecaster Mustang Junior Jr Les Paul Anderson Prs SE Paul Reed Smith SG P90 P-90 Single Coil Humbucker MIJ CIJ MIA Acoustic Electric Nash G&L Jaguar Vibrato Roland Jazz Chorus Bad Cat Blackstar Peavey Bass Lakland Precision Jazz Guitar Soldano Vox Ovation Adamas Larrivee Seagull Vintage Limited Edition Anniversary Semi-Hollow Semi Hollow A-E Deluxe Reverend Custom Hard Shell Case OHSC Gig Bag Weber Kentucky Collings SS Stewart Harmony Kay Regal Rickenbacker Hilo Breedlove Takamine Adamas Ovation Acoustic Electric Pre-War Pre War A F Style"

??
    They could have successfully added Nike, Adidas and Double Bass for the same purpose )

The seller just keeps relisting it and changing the price. Not a great sales strategy if you ask me.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Should have sold quickly at $250 in most any market, IMHO. I also think the problem is with the seller.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Should have sold quickly at $250 in most any market, IMHO. I also think the problem is with the seller.
    That's why I haven't hopped in the car for the drive to Tacoma: this just has "there's something you're not telling me" written all over it. If it were 20 minutes away, I'd look. But Tacoma's 45 minutes on a good day. You don't want to know what a bad day's like.

28. The following members say thank you to Mike Stewart for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    There's a lot of fake Seattle CL ads for e.g. gaming PCs that are too cheap to be true, they're just collecting email addresses to spam.

EDIT: they're collecting cellphone numbers to spam, nobody cares about email spam anymore. So "No response without valid phone number" or something along those lines.

And yeah, you'd think it's too small a market to deal with, but maybe CL is getitng better at flagging ad posters who never reply.
    Last edited by gtani7; Mar-04-2017 at 10:26pm.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    There's a lot of fake Seattle CL ads for e.g. gaming PCs that are too cheap to be true, they're just collecting email addresses to spam.
    Probably true, but I can't understand the logic......that is, the "tiny" number of mandolin people in the world vs. sports, cars, trucks, beer, guitars, phones, tennis shoes, etc., you know -- just about anything else. Doesn't seem worth the effort for so few addresses, IMHO. (of course, what do I know about spamming?)

I would rather think it is a case of a seller being "on the fence" about selling it, due to something the rest of us can't see or understand, such as it being something of sentimental value or whatever. This would explain the changing of prices and being difficult to deal with. Having worked in a vintage guitar store, I've seen many cases of "skewed logic" when trying to deal with customers selling instruments. More than once someone has told me, "I've researched these and they seem to sell for $750, but I'd like to get $2500 for mine, are you interested?" Another seller quoted a price for his instrument and we said we couldn't pay that for it. He responded by saying, "were you thinking higher or lower?" (with a straight face, believe it or not!) I think some of it, honestly, is just inexperience with buying and selling.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Mar-04-2017 at 10:37pm.