Thread: Queries :Ted Eschliman's Four-Finger Closed Position

Default Queries :Ted Eschliman's Four-Finger Closed Position

Hi!

I was reading 'Ted Eschliman's Four-Finger Closed Position (FFcP)' part 1 and part 2. I understood everything whatever was given on the website, but the accompanying PDF was bit confusing.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/pdf/ionian.pdf
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/pdf/eschliman-part2.pdf

Can someone explain me what sort of exercises are these?
    Do they have patterns??
    Are they intervals?
    What is the purpose of these lessons?

Home, thirds, I maj7, vi7, ii7, V7, fourths, contrary motion, guide tones- what are all these, don't make sense to me.

Thanks for your time
    “If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

Default Re: Queries :Ted Eschliman's Four-Finger Closed Position

Indie, The are exercises to increae your familiarity with the fretboard in closed positions. Home is a straight scale. Thirds and fourths are scales in Intervals. The chord names are arpeggios of the chords. A bit of music theory helps, but the exercises also work on their own to get your left hand more flexible and comfortable on the fingernoard. Great exercises with some application, as those bits and pieces get more comfortable they will find their way into your playing. They also increase your dexterity and can help improve your playing overall. He has a tone exercise that is quite good, as well.

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

3. The following members say thank you to Sid Simpson for this post:

These are scale exercises. Yes they have patterns and intervals. The purpose is to make you better

Home is the basic major scale played in sequence. Ex. C D E F G A B C

Thirds is playing the major scale in intervals of thirds (every other note apart) Ex. C E D F E G F A G B A C

I maj7 is simply the major 7 arpeggio for the first note of the scale. In this case a Cmaj7 C E G D C

vi7 is the minor 7 arpeggio for the sixth note of the scale. In this case Am7 but starting on C instead of A. C E G A C

ii7 is the minor 7 arpeggio for the second note. Dm7 here. D F A C D

V7 is based on the fifth note G but here the arpeggio starts on the D. D F G B D

I like to play these arpeggios in order of the scale notes. Cmaj7, Dm7, Em7, Fmaj7, G7, Am7, Bm7b5 (half diminished)
    You will notice that all of the notes of these arpeggios are in the key of C (diatonic).

Fourths are a way of playing the scale in intervals of four. C F, D G, E A, etc

Not sure but contrary motion appears as half the scale ascending and half the scale descending

Guide tones looks like two notes up two notes down within the C major scale.

Then the exercises repeat but they want you to start on a different finger.

Hope this helps, I'm just starting to put all the pieces of the theory puzzle together myself. These will definitely help with left hand dexterity and understanding of the fingerboard.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris W. For This Useful Post:

Thanks a lot Chris
    “If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."