Thread: Very old Gibson—detectives?

Default Very old Gibson—detectives?

Have any of you seen this Gibson A that's been listed on reverb for quite some time? https://reverb.com/item/816769-vinta...case-1902-1922

The Orville label suggests that it's mighty early; indeed, in appearance it looks a lot like the c. 1903/1904 delivery models in the Gibson mandolin registry, especially the fancy one from the Chinery collection, http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/2825

But the mounted bracket certainly doesn't fit—maybe a later addition?

Kind of shocked at how little info the dealer has. Does it have a legible serial number, for instance?

Default Re: Very old Gibson—detectives?

Quote Originally Posted by Scot63 View Post

Kind of shocked at how little info the dealer has. Does it have a legible serial number, for instance?
    I am generally annoyed, at times, at the lack of information sellers give. Especially when it is available. A dealer has a KM-1000 at EBay last week, and out of curiosity I asked him about the serial number and other label information. He took the listing down. Now its back up, same mandolin, photo of label and all the information. Go figure. I know over the phone, pawn dealers, especially don't like giving out serial numbers. All I can imagine is, if they aren't sure about the instrument's origin, they are wondering if they just received stolen goods? Just a thought. Do they believe someone would buy an instrument based on conjecture? I don't know.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Can certainly be a problem. In this case, I'm guessing that it's simply illegible—quite common on penciled-in serial numbers, especially of this age. Looks like a respectable outfit with many instruments listed and a long record of sales.

4. The following members say thank you to Scot63 for this post:

I don't have my books here at work but the tailpiece cover can get it pretty close. It's early and the price is, in my book, high and that's probably why he's already dropped the price.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Looks like a cool one to play. Not sure what is going on with the finish, doesn't look like a refin, but possibly some overspray? Looks like tons of pickwear and years of not being in a case type of wear to the backside. And the dark look of the pickwear scratches is a pretty good sign that sometime in the last 110 years, somebody wiped on some Old English or some other stain in an attempt to conceal the pickwear. (didn't work, did it?) That being said, if it was priced at $500, I'd love to own it!

It looks like the pick guard if covering the original inlayed pick guard. If so, its 1908 or earlier. Though the pick guard and clamp do look old

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    It looks like the pick guard if covering the original inlayed pick guard. If so, its 1908 or earlier. Though the pick guard and clamp do look old
    Good eye! Now that you point it out, I do see the edges of the original inlaid pick guard peeking out from under the newer clamp-on guard.