Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alexander Dennis

Default Re: Alexander Dennis

So how did that Mid-Missouri work out for you, Savemice?

Quote Originally Posted by atetone View Post
    ok,,, finally this is something that I do know a little bit about.
    Alexander Dennis was a luthier in Winnipeg who built some mandolins.
    I bought mine about 12 years ago I think and at that time I did manage to find out just a little bit about him and I know that he built more than just yours and mine. I think he built some violins but my memory is fuzzy about that. That is all I know.
    The only other one I have ever seen is sitting in my house in pieces. Dried out to nothing.
    The one I have was a sort of copy of a Gibson teens A model but it is flat top.
    The back wood on it is a really well figured maple.
    It fell apart but there is enough there to make 2 or 3 pickguards which is my plan for it.

So there you go,,, you now know everything that I know about him.
    My Great grandfather, first generation immigrant from Ukraine.
    He did also make violins, they don't seem to come up as soften as the mandolins so I think he made many more mandolins.
    He mostly made basic mandolins, there have been some nicer ones that I've seen, but no F style. Based on what I've been able to dig up over the years, he made a modest living in North End Winnipeg which had a large Ukrainian immigrant population which used Mandolin quite a bit for folk music.

Dennis Alexander is a nice guy, but he's of no relation

3. The following members say thank you to MichaelRDennis for this post:

Sorry I’m late to this thread, but Just wanted to say that I purchased this very Mandolin in 2017 or 2018. We attend a huge antique fair every year in Cedar Falls, IA and our trip would not be complete if we didn’t stop by “the Canadian Guy”’s booth. I picked up the instrument by the neck and still with it’s original strings and the broken tuning peg I held it while I waited to ask him a question about it. When I could feel the vibration of people’s voices around me through the strings I knew I had to buy it. Now I’ve never played a mandolin mind you, but I like mandolin music! Of course I found this thread looking for information about it. I only recently was able to get it restrung and a new tuning button, and the sound is amazing! I’m learning a couple of songs and plan to take “real” lessons soon. Thanks to Michael his Great Grandson for the background story. I hope your great Grampa would be pleased that someone is getting much enjoyment out of his instrument these many years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy M View Post
    Sorry I’m late to this thread, but Just wanted to say that I purchased this very Mandolin in 2017 or 2018. We attend a huge antique fair every year in Cedar Falls, IA and our trip would not be complete if we didn’t stop by “the Canadian Guy”’s booth. I picked up the instrument by the neck and still with it’s original strings and the broken tuning peg I held it while I waited to ask him a question about it. When I could feel the vibration of people’s voices around me through the strings I knew I had to buy it. Now I’ve never played a mandolin mind you, but I like mandolin music! Of course I found this thread looking for information about it. I only recently was able to get it restrung and a new tuning button, and the sound is amazing! I’m learning a couple of songs and plan to take “real” lessons soon. Thanks to Michael his Great Grandson for the background story. I hope your great Grampa would be pleased that someone is getting much enjoyment out of his instrument these many years later.
    Welcome to the cafe, and congrats on your purchase. Make sure the strings are a very light gauge.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Will do!

I just want to add to this thread another Alexander Dennis mandolin that has appeared on Kijiji in Winnipeg. Here's the link:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-string-instr...peg/1544293197

And here for posterity are the photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 2.51.46 PM.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	191138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 2.51.56 PM.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	191139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 2.52.06 PM.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	191140Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 2.52.15 PM.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	191141

He calls to mind another Canadian-Ukranian mandolin builder from the 30s on, Porayko, who I've posted about.
    Cary Fagan