Thread: Shippey Axe Bouzkouki

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Default Shippey Axe Bouzkouki

What is wrong with my spelling APOLOGIES (thread title)... (double edit).. actually I'm gonna call them bouzkoukis from now on...

Well, I've kind of kept quiet on this... for no other reason except that I wanted to post a video of this beast. Of course I've failed to do this - and with reason - I couldn't be bothered to rig up the camera & mics this weekend. Soon though eh.

So. Dull story, I pleaded with Mr Shippey to part with his stock "Axe" bouzouki. It helps that I live near him, so he can always have me killed* if he wants it back.

I'm not completely sure why it's an 'axe' bouzouki, but what can I tell you? Well, it is one of a pair, the other has an english walnut back, and is played by Benji Kirkpatrick, ex Bellowhead. Mine has a maple (English sycamore to be precise) back. It's more mellow in tone to Benji's, but if you want search him on Youtube playing it in Paul's living room.

The thing about it? It's a flat top, but it's got a carved back. That idea is new to me, maybe it's not to you, but it works. This thing is powerful. It's got that lovely bright percussive tone compared to the warmth of my Forster. I could probably start a Show Of Hands tribute act, but that's not gonna happen.

Do I like it?

Hell yeah. And it grows on me more and more, giving me a surge of playing confidence. It's got a different voice than I've been used to, but already I can hear it for when I work in my new side project that I haven't mentioned yet. Shh.

Pictures? My exact instrument is on his site but here you go...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	axe-bouzouki-0021.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	154320

Name:	axe-bouzouki-0031.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	154323

Name:	axe-bouzouki-0081.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	154324

“It has a great range of sound; perfect clarity when you’re playing melody lines or delicately picking and a considerable amount of punch when strumming hard. The carved back really projects the sound forward and it feels incredibly robust and able to withstand a good hammering without sonically falling apart. There’s nothing contained about the sound either, it’s immediately open and wants to fill the space generously.”
    ...what Benji says...

*not true... he's one of the nicest and most affable blokes you can meet
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

2. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

fox 

Default Re: Shippey Axe Bouzkouki

Nice one Rob. was looking at one of these myself. Looks like a class piece of work. I've never seen one of Paul's instruments here in Ireland. Maybe there's an untapped market for them. Is that cedar on the top?? Really beautiful piece of work. I used to own an Abnett bouzouki with a kind of arched back. It was made of 3 pieces that were bent into an arched shape. Had great projection.

Paul seems to be an exceptional craftsman if the photos on his website are anything to go by. Hope ya have years of pleasure with the new bouzouk. Cant wait to see your side project. Does it involve a group of lunatic musicians like proper folk!!!!!

take care John

Default Re: Shippey Axe Bouzkouki

"Booze-kookie?" I like it.

Like the instrument pictured as well.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello