Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting into Jazz Tenor Guitar?

Default Re: Getting into Jazz Tenor Guitar?

Are you interested in teaching tenor banjo style chord melody, or more like just picking up tenor guitar as a modern melodic jazz instrument? As in Tiny Grimes, but in 5ths? Either way, I'm in.

Just throwing this in, Tiny didn't seem to be very limited by his tenor in 4ths ( and a 3rd).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2mS4jjjSml4

2. The following members say thank you to lowtone2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    There are old dance band and jazz scores, stock arrangements, etc., but they usually just name the chords, no diagrams.

BTW, in the New Orleans days of early jazz, the guitar was often used before the 4 (or 6) string banjo, which came a little later:

Not saying you're wrong, but I've always heard that the tenor was first, and people started moving to guitar in the 30s. I guess pictures don't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    Not saying you're wrong, but I've always heard that the tenor was first, and people started moving to guitar in the 30s. I guess pictures don't lie.
    https://syncopatedtimes.com/eddie-la...%20the%201890s.

"While it is tempting to say that the jazz guitar began with Eddie Lang, the instrument had been used in jazz since the 1890s. "

https://www.vjm.biz/167-eddie-lang-web-layout-1.pdf

Another issue - recording. After the first jazz recordings in 1917, most band were using banjos as they recorded much better than guitars did in the pre-electric days of acoustic disc cutting.

What you heard is the most common story, but it is just the 2nd and 3rd chapter of the story of guitar and banjo in jazz.

prelude - the 5 string banjo in minstrel show music and ragtime, mid to late 1800's; guitar growing in popularity

Chapter 1 - turn-of-the century (1900) acoustic flat-top guitars

Chapter 2 - circa WWI - the tenor, plectrum and 6-string banjo

Chapter 3 - from mid 20-s to early 30's - return to use of the guitar, now typically an archtop f hole model; this is when the tenor guitar was used by tenor banjo players.

interlude 1 - the metal resonator guitar

interlude 2 - Django and the Selmer guitar....

Chapter 4 - mid to late 30's - the electric guitar in jazz, a la Charlie Christian

Chapter 5 - post WWII, lots of variety in electric guitars, guitar becomes popular jazz lead instrument

Chapter 6 - 70's jazz-rock fusion and so on...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandocarver View Post
    I'd actually put in a plea for GDAE tuning because people who tune CGDA can already access a lot of tenor banjo material whereas, to my knowledge, there's nothing jazz-oriented out there for the GDAE-tuned TG.
    Actually any Jazz Mandolin methods will apply to GDAE Tuned Tenor Guitar cause it's the same tuning. You can use GDAE Tuning in Jazz cause it gives the Tenor Guitar a deeper mellower sound:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgJ1_6hN8x4

The Nitty Gritty Jazz Band's Guitarist Nikolas Kiselov uses GDAE Tuning on his Tenor Banjo & Tenor Guitar (using John Pearse Tenor Guitar Strings)

Quote Originally Posted by MC16 View Post
    Given the total lack of instructional material for tenor guitar I could see it being useful, but niche.

Advertising it as Jazz for Tenor Guitar and Tenor Banjo would probably help the appeal.
    It could also be useful for other CGDA instruments like the Mandola and Mandocello.

Sorry for this last comment - I was trying to respond to another thread. Guess I need an additional cup of coffee.

I would be interested as well, since there is less material available for the CGDA instruments (tenor guitar and banjo, mandola, mandocello). I know that a lot of folks really like the spiral binding since it is easy to lay flat, but as a bibliophile and amateur bookbinder, I consider spiral bindings to be an abomination. A properly constructed book will lay flat; unfortunately too many music books are “perfect bound”, which is standard for paperbacks and a misnomer since these quickly self destruct. I would probably buy the ebook and construct my own.

Will have to check out your Getting into Jazz Mandolin book (not that I really need another instruction book, but…..one can dream!)

Thanks for the thread, Ted!

GaaaH! Maybe I just need to go back to bed………..

12. The following members say thank you to Denis Kearns for this post:

Never mind, I just realized that this thread is longer than I thought. I had not read the 3rd page, so maybe I really do need to go back to bed!!!

14. The following members say thank you to Denis Kearns for this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snoCfde-sRE GDAE Tuning on the Tenor Guitar sounds quite Jazzy because it mellows out the Guitar's sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    As my personal pursuits and interests have markedly shift from mandolin to tenor guitar, I'm contemplating tackling another project very similar to my "Getting Into Jazz Mandolin" book published 9/2008, but for the tenor. Those familiar with this book know my approach, taking closed position fingerings (FFcP) and developing the ability to move up, down, and across the fretboard so as to be comfortable in all 12 keys.

I'm curious if my market for such a book is too narrow. At this stage, I've already found success with the approach myself, but I don't know if others would pay $14.99 to go down the same path.

I'd include some helpful basic music theory ('ii V7 I' & turnarounds), stock chord fingerings, and scale exercises derivative of FFcP.

Any thoughts?
    Actually GDAE Tuning gives you a mellower sound that's Ideal for Jazz so any Jazz Mandolin book will work

Has this book been published?

I've been having an initial look at applying mandolin books to tenor guitar. What I'd really like is a book you can apply to anything in CGDA or GDAE tuning in either octave, from standard mandolin to popular tenor/mandola/octave mandolin scale length. The reason is that some comfortable tenor chords are a bit tight on mandolin, and a number of popular mandolin chord shapes are too long to be comfortable for most on tenor (eg 'chop G'). I don't mind transposing to GDAE tenor tuning (say if the book is basically CGDA). It seems to me that GDAE tenor sounds quite good with gypsy jazz styles, from trying a few (easy!) licks from Grapelli etc fiddle books.

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    I've been having an initial look at applying mandolin books to tenor guitar. What I'd really like is a book you can apply to anything in CGDA or GDAE tuning in either octave, from standard mandolin to popular tenor/mandola/octave mandolin scale length. The reason is that some comfortable tenor chords are a bit tight on mandolin, and a number of popular mandolin chord shapes are too long to be comfortable for most on tenor (eg 'chop G'). I don't mind transposing to GDAE tenor tuning (say if the book is basically CGDA). It seems to me that GDAE tenor sounds quite good with gypsy jazz styles, from trying a few (easy!) licks from Grapelli etc fiddle books.
    That's largely why I think 5-string mandolin is a good fit. You get compatibility with fiddle tuning but also have the lower CGDA tenor tuning for comps etc.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verne Andru For This Useful Post:

I find that the High A String is the most likely to break in CGDA Tuning so GDAE Tuning avoids that issue, Elmer Snowden used it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    That's largely why I think 5-string mandolin is a good fit. You get compatibility with fiddle tuning but also have the lower CGDA tenor tuning for comps etc.
    Or maybe a 10 String Mandolin which has 5 pairs of strings

I’m making the switch from mandolin to Tenor and plan on GDAE tuning as I play mostly blues/jazzy stuff
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

23. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:

fox