Thread: Looking for my second mandolin

Default Looking for my second mandolin

I'm a longtime guitar player but I've only been playing mandolin for about 5 years. Truth be told I've only been serious for the last year. I found a teacher and gotten serious about practicing. My current mandolin is an Epiphone MM50. My teacher did a setup for me and it's very playable. It's a little quiet but it's really not too bad. I'm considering an upgrade but I can't really afford a custom instrument at this time. Could I get some opinions about what might make a good replacement for no more than about $1000? If that is not a reasonable possibility, I'm open to sticking with what I have for the short term. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for my second mandolin

For $1000 and under you can do very well in an upgrade. Kentucky and Eastman both make excellent mandolins (for the price) in the $600 to $1000 range.
    Happy hunting.
    '95 Gibson F-5V
    2017 Collings MF5
    2017 Martin OOO-28
    2002 Martin D-18GE

Yup, KM 900 or 950 and you're all set.

Ditto, marbelizer!

G.M. If you like a modern sound the Kentucky LM 1000 can be had used at $1000 often.

Also if you prefer the old oval hole gibson sound there are student model A's around that price.

Of corse the best thing is to get your hands on them, play them, then decide.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

I'd be looking very closely at a KM900 "A" style. By all accounts a close copy of the only known Lloyd Loar signed 'A' style & with an incredible tone,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentucky-KM900.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	154777
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GovernmentMan View Post
    Could I get some opinions about what might make a good replacement for no more than about $1000?
    I think that you could upgrade over the Epiphone for half that number. Not knowing what type of music you play, I'm uncertain whether to recommend a flattop, an old player's grade Gibson oval, or an import F-style. I do know that, if you're patient, you can occasionally find a domestic archtop from an independent builder / shop such as Silverangel or Flatiron within your budget. Currently, the pick of the litter could be this Rigel from Pete Langdell: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/108499#108499
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Check out Keith Coleman, Luthier. You may be pleasantly surprised at an affordable instrument not to be matched by a PacRim instrument at any where near the same price point.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Check out the classifieds here on the Cafe, there are a number of good choices in your price range.

One example.....

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/108647#108647

Another......

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/108005#108005

NFI
    Last edited by Charles E.; Mar-12-2017 at 11:37am.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Sonny Morris mandolins get excellent reviews, and his A styles are within budget, especially used. Used Breedloves are a consideration as well.

In addition to the KM-900, look at Eastman 305/315 and 505/515 mandos. I have a 315 that's a very good mandolin, and a definite upgrade from the Epiphone in tone and workmanship. The mandolin store sells "blem" 505/515s that are great values, IMO. They're structurally sound and set up by TMS (which is key), with very minor finish blemishes (that are often so minor they're difficult to find).

Now, if you can save a little more you can get into A styles by Silverangel, Collings (sometimes MT), Weber Gallatin, Rigel, Ratliff, Girouard, Bulldog, etc, etc...talking 1500 +/-, so not a huge amount, but not insignificant. But, you can definitely get an upgrade from 500-1000, and possibly even with a KM 150 at < 500!

Good luck, lots of options!!
    Last edited by CES; Mar-12-2017 at 10:18am.
    Chuck

I've had a chance to play a couple Eastmans. I've played a 315, 515, and 815. I didn't hear a lot of difference between the 315 and 515 but I thought the 815 sounded wonderful. At $1600 it was a little out of my price range though. I don't know of anywhere local to me that carries Kentucky mandolins.

IMHO, this is the most important price range budget to shop used. On reputation alone, I'd buy any of the Kentucky masterbuilts, higher end Eastmans and Loars that retail new in the $1500 range.

I'm thinking to buy an F style used in the future for around $1000 and that will be my target segment.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Sonny Morris mandolins get excellent reviews, and his A styles are within budget, especially used.
    There is a beautiful new Morris A4 in the classifieds right now for $995. That's a lot of sweet sounding, hand carved, hand built in America mando mojo for under a grand. I've played many of Sonny's instruments and the tone and playability are above what you'll find in a good Asian import. You'll probably never touch the Epi again....

13. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Check out the JBovier A5 model at http://jbovier.net/
    I've recently played 3 different ones and have been impressed by then all.
    Direct from JBovier, $899. I have found them better than similarly priced Eastman and Kentucky.
    They do show up in the classifieds from time to time, but usually go quickly. Contact Jeff and see what he has in stock

I have had the opportunity the last couple weekends to play some new Eastmans and was amazed how nice they are to play. I really Loved the 515 classic F style and leaning toward purchasing for a.....well I have no reason to get it but thinking I want it anyway. But it is right at $1000. A-style is much less and for $1000 you can even get a higher grade Eastman.

I had an A40n Gibson, * for years, then I got another older A, its 95 years old

* they're selling, used , for around $900, now, I think .

Last edited by mandroid; Mar-16-2017 at 5:08pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Personally I would go for a teens Gibson A. You pretty easily can find a nice one in very playable condition for 1K or a bit more. Even better, spend $1800 or so and you can get an A2. 1919-1921 seems to be the best ones. If you can find a later one (1922-23) with a truss-rod, even better. In fact there is a nice one in the Classifieds right now for $1650.
    I have a 1919 A-2 that I will NEVER sell. See the photos: link to my galleries below
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

i didn't think there was anybody here with only one mandolin

I also suggest you contact Sonny Morris. He has a beauty of an A5 (not advertised ) that I saw last week when he did some work on one of my mandos. It is transparent cobalt blue and is gorgeous. NFI. He may have some others with ff holes as well.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

21. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

The Loar LM 600 deserves a mention: "Hand-carved and graduated from solid select tonewoods ... an accurate replica of an original 1920’s F5-style model ... hand-carved spruce top, solid hand-carved figured maple back and sides, a one-piece maple neck with rounded ‘V’ profile, bound ebony fretboard."

I wanted a MM50 when I was looking for an "F" model mandolin but was talked out of it in favor of my LM 600. It's a great instrument - well made, quality material, lovely finish ... comfortable to play and sounds great - just ask the man who owns one ...

Who has a link to the "Used Mandolins Under $1000" article?
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos