Thread: My Old Kentucky Neck

Default My Old Kentucky Neck

Bought this Kentucky mandolin with a broken headstock. Repaired it a few different times and the repair failed after some time each time. Now I want to make a new neck. How do I cut a new dovetail into the head block without ruining the back or should I cut through the back and leave the new neck's dovetail exposed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	335.3 KB 
ID:	155036

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	281.3 KB 
ID:	155037

Name:	IMG_0463.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	155038
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
    "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
    ~Carlos Castaneda

Default Re: My Old Kentucky Neck

Take the back off.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Clean out the dovetail area and fill it with a new block of mahogany. Take the back off as well. Then proceed as normal making a dovetail joint. It won't be easy.

I wrote John Hamlett, Sunburst, before I started this thread and he said "No, I would not remove the back. In the picture, it looks like a straight dovetail, and I much prefer to use a tapered dovetail. I'd just cut a taper into the block; widen the mortise at the top so that there is a taper.". Thanks for all the help.

If you're not going to remove the back then you can modify things a bit "if" you end up cutting through the back. I believe that on that Kentucky the end of the heel is covered by the back. On some mandolins they use a small heel cap to cover the end. You could always simply remove the heel cap portion with some careful work and plan on making a cap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heel.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	155042  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Since I've been mentioned here...
    Things go wonky when we remove the back. Damage is always a possibility when removing a top or back, and re-alignment can be difficult. If I don't absolutely have to remove a back I prefer not to.
    Most repairmen have fit lots of dovetail (and other) neck joints that are not through mortises. Every time we re-set a guitar neck we do it. Removing wood from the head block down to the back surface is all that would be needed to rebuild the head block. I would probably do that, and when I got to the back, I'd scarf in a piece of maple to replace the heel button. Taper the sides of the cavity in the head block, chalk fit a piece of mahogany (with dovetail mortise pre-cut), and then re-set the neck.
    I still have the photos somewhere that were formerly posted on my website where I did a similar repair to an early Gilchrist mandolin, and I've since done a similar repair to a Kentucky, oddly enough. Some may remember the photo-essay of the Gilchrist repair. I saw that mandolin again last month, and it is still holding fine and still showing little evidence of repair.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

I would love to see those pictures John and sorry if I quoted your personal email without approval.
    Additionally,
    What you use to remove wood from the head block, tool wise?
    Last edited by Kennyz55; Mar-20-2017 at 4:48pm.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
    "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
    ~Carlos Castaneda

Name:	IMG_0515.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	604.1 KB 
ID:	156011

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	485.7 KB 
ID:	156012
    Back at it again. Happy Easter all.
    ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyz55 View Post
    ...What you use to remove wood from the head block, tool wise?
    Missed this...
    I used a dovetail saw and chisels to cut the mortise in the head block. I sawed the dovetail into the new wood before gluing it in place; much easier that way because we can use a saw and work all the way through.

Name:	gs25.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	156013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gs26.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	156014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gs29.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	156015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gs32.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	156016

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Very nice! But is this fabulous effort turning into a $1,500 repair on a $1,500 mandolin? Still, I suppose the heart wants what the heart wants...

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	660.5 KB 
ID:	156035

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	891.7 KB 
ID:	156036
    Starting to come together slowly. I think I paid $150 for it with the broken neck and with the 1727 hours in at minimum wage that's only $14472.26 in it so far. NJs minimum wage is $8.38. LOL.
    ~Carlos Castaneda

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kennyz55 For This Useful Post:

What advantage is a tapered dovetailed Neck? How would I lay it out on the head block? I have this from Roger Siminoff to layout a non-tapered dovetail joint. http://siminoff.net/cms/wp-content/u...d_dovetail.pdf
    ~Carlos Castaneda

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	575.9 KB 
ID:	190342

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	806.7 KB 
ID:	190343

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	776.3 KB 
ID:	190344

If at 1st you don't succeed just keep trying.
    ~Carlos Castaneda

I don't know. Maybe you get the award for the most dogged and determined effort at repair?

I like your sign-off quotes.
    You strike me as a Ken Kesey, Sometimes A Great Notion quote: "Never give an inch."