Thread: The Mandolin Store

Default The Mandolin Store

In town for spring training, I made the treck across town to visit the Mandolin Store, and I can tell you, it was well worth the trip for the education. The ability to try mandolins back to back is a huge plus. I can find a lot of mandolins in the SF Bay Area, but not so many in the same place.

I want a brighter F style to go with my Sillverangel A, and was able to play the master Kentuckys, a Northfield, some Flatirons and two Gibson F9s, all in one visit. I had never played a flat fingerboard before. Learned a lot and got first class service.

Unfortunately, like everything else, you get what you pay for. I've got to decide if the considerable extra expense of the Northfield is worth it over a master Kentucky. The new Gibson was, well, a Gibson, but I can't justify the cost. Anyway, I had a wonderful hour and managed not to touch the high priced spread. Great store. Buy with confidence.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Mandolin Store

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson F4 Hybrid.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	155227
    Nice!

I have loved every trip to play multiple mandolins. One favorite trip was to the Gibson facility in 2010 when they were still in the Opry Mills Plaza, Nashville. The manager was having fun bringing me all these totally top end Gibson's to try out. I don't play bluegrass but I was knocking out a bunch of Mexican, Italian and Brazilian tunes when Dave Harvey came out and showed me this...a F4 Hybrid he made.

It used to be in the SF Bay area you had to travel for miles and hours to visit 5-6 stores that might have 1 or two mandolins to try. These days there are lots more mandolins out there.
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

4. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

I just bought a Kentucky KM1050 from the Mandolin Store. Good people, great set up and I was very surprised with the tone of the Kentucky, way above what I was expecting.

Summit County, Colorado

The Mandolin Store is excellent.

Dennis has great customer service..when i was looking for i high end mandolin he bent over backwards trying to put one in my hands.
    I ultimatly settled on an ellis a5 special from
    Another store which he could have gotton
    For me but it came down soley to wait time.
    Would love to visit his store sometime..

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

A buddy at my local jam got one of the most recent runs of their blem Eastman MD-515's from TMS. He asked the guys over there to pick out the best one and man did they do him right. I'm totally jealous of his new axe and wishing I could afford one!

The guys over there are great!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

04Bravo

Bought my first mando, an Eastman, from The Mandolin Store. Only good things to say about Dennis, Brian and the rest of the crew.

One of my favorite places on the web and if I ever get that far west again, to visit. Dennis is great as is Brian.

Like the OP, I recently had a great visit to the The Mandolin Store while in Phoenix for MLB Spring Training. Had a great time and got a chance to play a variety of Mandolas, Octave Mandolins, and Mandocellos.

The guys are super friendly and knowledgeable and I had a great experience.

A primary reason for my visit was to learn what different price points get the mandolin buyer. I played a variety of mandolins at different prices which helped me determine where my next purchase would fall...

...And I bought my next mandolin sooner than I originally planned, because of the visit.

Definitely make a point of dropping in if you have an opportunity to be in Phoenix. There aren't nearly enough stores with a good variety to view and they're certainly worth the visit.

And, if you happen to be in town, check out Sierra Bonita - our favorite restaurant in Phx.

I'm going to be connecting through Phoenix in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of scheduling a long layover so I can check out the Mandolin Store. Does anyone know how easy it would be to get there and back from the airport?

I'd guess at least thirty to forty minutes by car, and they are generally there mid day. After the FedEX pickup, they are gone. It is a 99% internet business. I'll bet they would try to accommodate you though.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by elksberry View Post

The guys are super friendly and knowledgeable and I had a great experience.

A primary reason for my visit was to learn what different price points get the mandolin buyer. I played a variety of mandolins at different prices which helped me determine where my next purchase would fall...

...And I bought my next mandolin sooner than I originally planned, because of the visit.
    Did you buy your next mandolin at The Mandolin Store. . . ?

"Did you buy your next mandolin at The Mandolin Store. ."

That implies you bought mandolin in the future which you have not yet purchased.

How is that [possible. ?

I was referring to the quote I cited. As you did.

But thanks for your edit of my grammar and interpretation of time and space.

Now back to the thread and praise for TMS. . .

17. The following members say thank you to Luna Pick for this post:

I did.

I actually intended to go back to purchase it in person while I was still in Phoenix but my plans and their hours didn't align so I purchased it after return home.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    Did you buy your next mandolin at The Mandolin Store. . . ?

Cool. They're good folks, and certainly earnest about customer service and mandolins.

I ordered my Gibson from them, and they treated me with courtesy and respect, even though I asked a million questions and wavered back and forth several times about which model to buy.

I've never been there, but I'd like to go some day.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

They gave me superb advice when I called trying to decide on my "better" mandolin. I was wavering between a Pava and a Weber, and they told me they were both nice but would probably like the Pava better for the music I wanted to play. I believed them but still thought I would like the Weber too, and I eventually bought both. I like them both, and am not sorry. They arrived beautifully set-up (although they said with that quality of mandolin set-up is pretty minimal.) I would never hesitate to buy from them again - a truly satisfactory experience. If my experience was any example they treat their customers right! NFI

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I've bought several mandolins from TMS, going back to when they were based in Ohio. Everything said above is true. Great people, great products, great service. You can't ask for more than that.
    Living’ in the Mitten

I, too, have had exceptionally good experiences with them. My Phoenix Neoclassical came from them, as did my Hoffee case. It seems to me I bought something else from them, but I can't remember what it was (I'll remember as soon as I post this!). I recommend them highly and would buy from them again without hesitation.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

They have been great to me on several occasions. Yes, several mandolins ago.
    Maybe I will have bought my next mandolin from them at some time in the future. Hmmmmmm.....
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Dennis is a high quality guy, all the way. Great to deal with.

My first decent mandolin came from the Mandolin Store. It was everything they promised, and it allowed me to experience some serious growth as a player.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

I recently bought a used BRW A-5 from TMS, I have nothing but positive things to say about that transaction. The mandolin is a fine mandolin too!!!

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6