Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Kentucky KM180B

Default Re: Vintage Kentucky KM180B

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    "We" are quickly reaching a "Loar level" of minutiae being discussed. How much can be said about a tiddlywink? The 20-page Blue Chip discussions suddenly seem logical, scientific, interesting and even needed and refreshing........IMHO, of course.

My "expertise" based on 35 years of buying, selling, trading, repairing, AND playing instruments is that it is a nice used $100 mandolin that somebody might get some use from. If it were in better conditition, it might be worth a little more, maybe $200. The "top" made in Japan 80's F-5 copies often fail to bring much more than $600, even though people love 'em and will ask $1500 or more on eBay -- most of those "sellers" are guitar dealers, not mandolin players, who have nothing in the instrument and don't care if it sells or not, in other words, asking and getting are two different things.
    but it's vintage, man. VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    "We" are quickly reaching a "Loar level" of minutiae being discussed. How much can be said about a tiddlywink? The 20-page Blue Chip discussions suddenly seem logical, scientific, interesting and even needed and refreshing........IMHO, of course.

My "expertise" based on 35 years of buying, selling, trading, repairing, AND playing instruments is that it is a nice used $100 mandolin that somebody might get some use from. If it were in better conditition, it might be worth a little more, maybe $200. The "top" made in Japan 80's F-5 copies often fail to bring much more than $600, even though people love 'em and will ask $1500 or more on eBay -- most of those "sellers" are guitar dealers, not mandolin players, who have nothing in the instrument and don't care if it sells or not, in other words, asking and getting are two different things.

Thanks for your in put ... For this "tiddly wink" Id put its personal value to the new owner slightly above that... With the case (not original) with new strings and proper set up and a few hours of Just plain shaking the cob webs out of it ... some where between a kid in a candy store and PRICE LESS It sings again... as it should be...

Again for those that provided good validated professional information about the model I do thank you...
    Last edited by Gregory1967; Apr-01-2017 at 2:38pm.

Vintage to me isn't indicative to price, some stuff yes more in price although with most other stuff much less... Value isn't always about money.... Many folks I know and play with wouldn't take two cents or a million dollars for stuff that they make beautiful music with... Then there are guys out there that all about a buck and out to get every thing they can from nothing and would sell their own mother a fish bone and tell her if she waters it enough it will grow into a pig... I knew a guy that said he had thirty years in the business but couldn't tell ya how to tune a flute...

Quote Originally Posted by NEH57 View Post
    What is a 'snowflake' ?
    Here let me google that for you

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=snowflake

[QUOTE=Gregory1967;1565658]Most real mandolin players never see thirty instruments in a life time why would they

I want to clarify " see " in this case means own...

Ill close it out with this...
    Id buy each and every one of the Vintage Kentucky Km 180B's I can find if they have a hard shell case, play and sound as good as this one does for a 100 bucks... Its Not likely there are many for sale these days that have a quality tone...

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

with its TKL, maroon-lining case.

Name:  97_0.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  9.1 KB

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

9. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

I think her case is a Harmon...

This one was selling for $750.00 in 2008 with out the tailpiece cover and gibson soft shell case... The Plot thickens

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008 KM.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	155572
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_1182.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	155573

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...D#.WOBU-Pnyu01

12. The following members say thank you to Gregory1967 for this post:

Mr. Mando (Martin), I am uncertain of your insistence to post photographs such as these based on another's comments. If memory serves, your comments in previous years communicated to others your delight in this instrument, however, in the past couple of days, your feelings have changed. As the owner of said mandolin in this thread, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt this is a wonderful instrument. From reading the posts here, it seems as though information about a back story was requested. Usually, when one is purchasing or has purchased an instrument, they would like to learn the history. How much of the history of the Kentucky Mandolin and Guitar Company do you really know? Have you read the article from Fret Magazine? Do you understand the processes used to make the instrument, or are you bitter about something and feel the need to lash out at others? As stated, this is a fine instrument. For those of us who play traditional bluegrass/bluegrass gospel music, a tradition which has been handed down through the years, the sound quality is amazing. After listening to your style of music, this model may not have been your cup of tea, hence, the photographs above show your inability to answer questions honestly and therefore, commenting on every single post may not be a venture in which you should continue.

Further, let's spend a little time speaking about your resume. One doesn't usually include a resume on a website. Are you looking for a position in the music industry? Is this an avenue in which resume's should be posted? Are you looking for unearned accolades? It is my understanding through your resume that you are an educator. Interesting, because those of us in the education profession do not post our resumes on the same sites where we would be reviewed for our hobbies. Also, how many different methods of electronic formats does one need to post? Doesn't one usually mail those to perspective employers? In the day and age of hacking, it isn't advantageous to post such personal information on a public website, which includes your address and phone number.

Before lashing out on others, maybe it would be in your best interest to clean up your own house first.

14. The following members say thank you to didleybeau for this post:

Gregory saying thanks to his alter ego. Politeness and humility Gregory. It goes far.

I think thread has ended.

This thread isn't Scott's annual April Fools Day joke, is it? I've been watching for it and don't see it this year.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Amazingly enough user Gregory1967 and user didleybeau both have the same IP address. From the Posting Guidelines:

The sharing of logins and passwords with another member or non-member, or a single individual using two separate logins is grounds for immediate loss of membership.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber