Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Kentucky KM180B

Default Vintage Kentucky KM180B

I would Like as much information as I can find about this mandolin I've read a few conflicting post here... I believe one guy said he gave 100 bucks and then said he shaved down the Bracing... Well the case is Worth 100 bucks so If any Old timers or Ky Experts can provide some positive feed back that would suffice... The KM180B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KM180B #2.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	155472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Km180B.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	155473  

Default Re: Vintage Kentucky KM180B

What do you want to know? I have one I bought new sometime around 1981 or so for about $105. Love it, has only continued sounded to better over the years and is an easy, comfortable player. What's with that finish in your photo?

3. The following members say thank you to renoyd for this post:

The finish is warn off and way we got it... The back sides and neck neck finish warn warn off as well... Please send Photo of yours here... Things Id Like to learn about this Instrument are the Price today the tone woods what year it was made where it was made and Cost New then... It has a very nice tone and yet is very easy to finger... I have new strings for it and plan to post video of sound here soon I looked at it three years ago and want to get it for my wife then last week I saved it from a Guy who had sent it off to Be Painted and he stoped them right before they began to take it apart Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Km 180#3.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	155495

So far there is No information to be found about the model KM180B with the fleur del lis on the head stock!

There were several versions of the KM-180 made. The obvious differences being the neck joint (12 or 14 fret), and the inlay and it seems that there were even combinations, so possibly 3+ variations not including color.

The more common model is the KM-180S. Saga has normally used the "S" to designate solid top or all solid woods. I don't know if this means yours used any laminates. You should be able to tell by looking at the F holes and matching grain on the back (if you have bare spots). I believe the 180 may have had Laminated back and sides. I am not sure of this though.

Your mandolin should be Japan made.

Value in excellent condition about $250.

It should make a very nice players instrument.

Though, it sure doesn't help the value, I actually like the look of yours there. Shabby Chic!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

7. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Thanks You not your fault but i now have 7 different reports and they all conflict which each other... Did they say made in Japan in the 80s ? cause this one only says San Diego California on the tag and why is there no information about them on line and all reports/information are not by owners of any Kentucky's Im kind of put back but the fact that SAGA doesn't have info about their own vintage stuff.. Did Saga ever make them in the USA ?

Conflicted reports are the norm with this sort of thing.

It would not say where it was made on the label. It would have been a sticker on the headstock (that is almost always removed at some point).

No Kentucky Mandolins were ever made in the USA. I have never seen one that said San Diego. They normally say San Francisco, which is where Saga is based.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

I bought one of these from Mandolin Bros. in 1990 or thereabouts; it was my second acoustic mandolin. I remember it costing between $200 and $300 back then. I always thought the B was for "black." Solid top and laminated back/sides sounds familiar to me.

Would the serial number provide any clues on year of manufacture?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

12. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Thank you mrando Its does and yes this one is a Gem with solid top I have much more information today that is FACT from saga them self coming into today I am waiting on a call from the Vintage guy out of Calf. but other then one or two points nothing here any one has add and who clams to be an expert has validated....No vintage (Kentucky experts as of Yet) So I went to the source You'll be surprised what I found out... I will add again its a very nice vintage I am glad I ran across it and snagged it up. My wife will make it sing again... I know it has not been seriously played in 5 years and In front of a mic in ten or more But It will be this week end... LONG LIVE KENTUCKY....

Dude.

Sorry, but nothing from the 1980s is "vintage" yet.

And Robert Fear is as much of an expert on Saga & Kentucky instruments as anyone is.

What sort of "validation" are you looking for? If you're waiting for someone to tell you that this KM180B is some kind of priceless holy grail, you'll be waiting a long time.

My KM180B was adequate to my needs as a beginner, but I outgrew it. I've owned easily two dozen mandolins that sound better than it did.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

at the risk of some backlash for not being an expert, I'll just add I owned a made-in-Japan KM-180B and sold it several years later. I recall it selling for about $225 or $250.00. At the time I had another KM-180, a Yasuma, several Ibanez and a KM-250. The buyer chose the KM-180B as it was to his preference. I recall the early ones having a five digit serial number. I think the Korean models had some letters in the serial number - perhaps even more digits.

I'll have photos at home and don't mind showing my former KM-180B. Just trying to manage expectations as I'm no expert.

Perfectly great mandolins for this price point.

f-d
    ‘papα gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

17. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

I CALL FOUL>>> I noticed you said OWNED... didn't ya keep the better ones.... I Never said anything of the sort directly about Mr Fear. If He is an expert he feel short here....SAGAs words not mine... Now what I consider an expert DUDE would be some one that would at least know the year it was made the building It was made in, factory 1-4 the year the wood was ship when it came to the states Oh and guess what DUDE the sticker is the Key to the whole mess #### kicking caboodle DUDE not the head stock nor the design on it...I will argue to your Vintage comment to the points that 30 years make the vintage list and since this one is older then that Id say Go to Mr Fear and get schooled again at least on that point ... Thanks for your input as I own many stringed instruments myself and several that are exactly the same and sound and play totally different then each other... Sorry you get ripped off... Most real mandolin players never see thirty instruments in a life time why would they "I have" several other high end strings that are worth far more then the 180B My questions Have nothing to do with Cost, Price or any thing else monetarily DON'T BE RUDE its annoying

Thank you... I love to hear the story and see the photos

what are you trying to say? It's very hard to read your posts. I'm not entirely sure of what you're looking for at this point.

An btw, no one was rude until that last post.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory1967 View Post
    Most real mandolin players never see thirty instruments in a life time
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laughing-gifs-ricky-gervais.gif 
Views:	268 
Size:	927.3 KB 
ID:	155520

Name:	laughing-gifs-pillow-cover.gif 
Views:	275 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	155519

Name:	laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif 
Views:	274 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	155518

Name:	laughing-gifs-taylor-swift.gif 
Views:	215 
Size:	976.2 KB 
ID:	155521
    Last edited by mrmando; Mar-31-2017 at 8:31pm.

22. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

From the Experts at Kentucky I will stand correct on only one point... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KM180 VARIOUS 93 94.pdf 
Views:	379 
Size:	6.66 MB 
ID:	155522

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    what are you trying to say? It's very hard to read your posts. I'm not entirely sure of what you're looking for at this point.

An btw, no one was rude until that last post.
    Thank you, I have all the information I need at this point and Your right his last two post are Jacked up But really it wasn't necessary and the Gentle man made one too many assumptions... and More then Likely any body that bought his CD was just as annoyed.... Here are all the punctuation marks I left out of the other Posts... I hope it helps ........ ,,,,,, ????!!!! and ".

Geez...
    Lighten up guys...
    No need to be so touchy.
    It is just a mandolin.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

26. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CWRoyds View Post
    Geez...
    Lighten up guys...
    No need to be so touchy.
    It is just a mandolin.
    Your Right, but i will never apologize to any snowflake ever... I will say thank you to Mr Fear from Folkmusician.com for his input I am sure has much Knowledge. and I hope folks can learn from that I look forward to Fatt-dads Photos as well as the rest if there are any left around that folks want to share the story ... a few guys here were so far off in left field they are in the parking lots... I hope to see more of Kentucky mandolin Being Brought back into the lime light list as it should...

Name:	97_1.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	155534

Name:  4a_0.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  9.0 KB

Name:  f5_0.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  9.4 KB

f-d

p.s., I wish I had larger photos. I guess those are some thumbnail shot from my original purchase. I sold it to a friend in person and don't have any personal photos.

29. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post

Name:	97_1.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	155534

Name:  4a_0.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  9.0 KB

Name:  f5_0.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  9.4 KB

f-d

p.s., I wish I had larger photos. I guess those are some thumbnail shot from my original purchase. I sold it to a friend in person and don't have any personal photos.
    Yours didn't have a pick Guard either. Interesting, I'm told they have one tail piece cover for the two A style in those few years...Do you recall if yours had any engravings on the tail piece cover?

Laminated back and sides. Made in Japan. Entry level mando.

Suffice it to say, I think you should contact Saga and demand a sit down meeting with their resident expert. Don't ask, demand. The response is always more favorable instead of using politeness and humility.

32. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

to the OP: It looks from the photo that the tailpiece cover is plain. I have had other Kentuckys with, "Kentucky" engraved on the tailpiece. Even Flatirons have plain and engraved tailpieces. Never considered this as an age-tool for instruments.

Enjoy your mandolin. I'd think these remain sub-$300 instruments in today's market - good ones however!

f-d

"We" are quickly reaching a "Loar level" of minutiae being discussed. How much can be said about a tiddlywink? The 20-page Blue Chip discussions suddenly seem logical, scientific, interesting and even needed and refreshing........IMHO, of course.

My "expertise" based on 35 years of buying, selling, trading, repairing, AND playing instruments is that it is a nice used $100 mandolin that somebody might get some use from. If it were in better conditition, it might be worth a little more, maybe $200. The "top" made in Japan 80's F-5 copies often fail to bring much more than $600, even though people love 'em and will ask $1500 or more on eBay -- most of those "sellers" are guitar dealers, not mandolin players, who have nothing in the instrument and don't care if it sells or not, in other words, asking and getting are two different things.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Apr-01-2017 at 8:54am.

What is a 'snowflake' ?