Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What A style Oval hole mandolins to consider in $2000 range?

Default What A style Oval hole mandolins to consider in $2000 range?

Hello, my name is Ron, I am a new member and new to mandolin, but I am a long time guitar and ukulele player.

I am looking at A style Oval hole mandolins, and based on my experience with taking up the uke about 8-10 years ago, I don't think I want an entry level or student model instrument.

I am thinking of spending $2000 to possibly $3000.

I would be more comfortable with a new to relatively recent build as opposed to vintage.

I know Collings as I have 2 Collings guitars as well as 2 Collings ukuleles, and I am looking for a 1-3/16" nut width.

I am currently looking at websites and YouTube and listening to sound samples.

I do have a nice Breedlove FF from 2012, I picked up used, but I want something for Celtic / Irish / Folk music.

Currently I am considering Collings, I would consider another Breedlove, but I think I want to diversify, and I am looking at Pomeroy, as well as the classified ads here and vendor web sites, both sponsors here as well as Elderly, The Music Emporium, etc.

I am close to Mandolin Bros., and have purchased from them, (guitars), but I have not been there since Stan passed away.

So what manufacturers and or sources should I be looking at in the research phase of the process?

Any information, suggestions, opinions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Ron
    Last edited by GASguy; Apr-05-2017 at 10:28am. Reason: ETA:price range

Default Re: What A style Oval hole mandolins to consider in $2000 range?

I am a big fan of the oval Collings, but to be clear (and they are) they are very bright as you should know. I like their sound playing Celtic, but also like the less bright more rounded sound of my Hester (while that is out of the price range a used Old Wave, with a similar tonal quality might not be). I loved playing Celtic on my oval Old Wave mandola before moving to a different sounding Girouard f mandola. So I recommend both the Collings bright and Old Wave warm as possibilities.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

FYI: I believe Mandolin Brothers is liquidating their stock and not carrying any additional instruments.

I was going to suggest an early teens Gibson A model but then I see that you want a 1-3/16" neck. And from all else you mention, it sounds like you want a new or more recently made mandolin. It might help to widen the choice and still keep within your budget if you can consider buying used.

I like the tone of vintage Gibsons but it seems like many of the modern makers of oval hole instruments really hybridize the oval holes. The originals have the shorter neck which puts the bridge further back on the body and also have transverse bracing (not x-braced or tonebars) which gives them different deeper tone and longer sustain. I do remember playing one Collings oval which did not have that tone I prefer in an oval. That was only one and there might be others that would have that tone and sustain.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Apr-05-2017 at 10:10am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I love my Collings MT-O, I purchase it used here off the classifieds for 1850. It might be hard to find a wide nut though in a used mandolin. Depending on how much you play the Breedlove and your new mandolin, you should probably take the neck profile into consideration, personally I wouldn't want too much of a difference.

Take a look at Northfield F-2S, and Weber. Pava is making oval holes also.

At that price point, you could find a Weber Galaltin new. Others will tend to expand that budget by 800 or more new, so it looks like used is your best bet.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

As Jim points out, there really is between the old school (Gibson heritage) short neck oval hole that is attached to the top and the more modern sounding longer neck that is elevated from the top. They play differently and sound differently as you might expect from designs from different eras. I have one of both Hester (short) and Collings (one fret longer, 13th fret and elevated fret board (many hybrids attach at the 15th fret)). Put the two styles together and A/B the sound and the difference will be instantaneously apparent.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

My favorite oval A is my Brentrup followed by my '23 Gibson blacktop snakehead. I believe that Gilchrist makes oval A's with transverse braces and probably there are a few other makers.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Got my 1922 Gibson A4 for about that, bought Locally, Original owner survived being a soldier, in WW1..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I am a card carrying member of the 1 3/16ths" is the minimum acceptable standard nut width.

I believe some , if not all, Webers are 1 3/16ths".

Weber Gallatin A Oval. NFI.

As far as neck widths, I am fine with the standard 1-1/8" and 1-3/16" is a mere 1/16" wider. My National RM-1 has a 1-1/4" width and I find that I have to adjust to that every time I start playing it. I can probably do fine with 1-3/16" tho I am not sure if I would notice the difference that much.

It does seem that all the Collings MTOs in the classifieds here have 1-3/16" necks.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I have a 1 3/16" mandolin that I don't find a difference from my 1 1/8". I also have a Breedlove with the same 1 3/16" that I do notice a difference. Between the two the neck depth is a lot different and makes all the difference for me. A very shallow neck and I won't notice the difference, a deeper neck and I notice it immediately.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

12. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I had a Pomeroy oval back in my catch and release days. It had a sweet, ringing tone. I kinda wish I still had it.

Every Weber oval or D-hole I've played (probably around a dozen) has been excellent.

I've never played a Collings oval but if you bought one off these three brands, I doubt you'd go too far wrong. There are two used Collingses in the classifieds now for a dollar under your budget.

I've had a few Gibson paddleheads, but it always came down to the neck for me, and I sold them.

Good luck. You ought to be able to find something sweet in that price range.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GASguy View Post
    Hello, my name is Ron, I am a new member and new to mandolin, but I am a long time guitar and ukulele player.

I am looking at A style Oval hole mandolins, and based on my experience with taking up the uke about 8-10 years ago, I don't think I want an entry level or student model instrument.

I am thinking of spending $2000 to possibly $3000.

Couple of thoughts for you. Number one is that you don't have to spend your budget. If you find something that could make you happy for ever for less than your budget, you can set the remainder aside for your next mandolin.

Secondly, you don't say anything about the genre you are interested in. I know you said A style oval hole, but A denotes a arch top instrument. And arch tops are certainly not the only way to go. There are many oval hole flat top instruments that you might really love that might well cost less for the same build quality.

Flat tops don't have that iconic bluegrass sound, but that is the only thing they lack. They can and do have an authority all their own. If you are not all in on bluegrass, a flat top might just be something to look at.

Just a thought.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

See if you can find an old Flatiron flat top. You could buy four of them, and they have the sweetest tone imaginable.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    See if you can find an old Flatiron flat top. You could buy four of them, and they have the sweetest tone imaginable.
    I like the way this guy thinks!
    Check this one out from the classifieds:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/107988#107988

Welcome to the Cafe Ron. I would consider a Girouard mandolin in addition to others mentioned.

http://www.girouardmandolins.com/

Mike Black also makes excellent oval hole mandolins.

http://www.blackmandolins.com/index.html
    Last edited by Charles E.; Apr-05-2017 at 6:44pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

18. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    I like the way this guy thinks!
    Check this one out from the classifieds:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/107988#107988
    Does anyone know the nut width on these flatiron flat top mandolins?

Blog Entries

Could do one heck of a lot worse.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Here are a pair of used Collings MT-O from The Mandolin Store for $2000 each:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/109391#109391
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	109391.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	155702

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/109390#109390

Name:	109390.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	155703

Blog Entries

I have a Collings MTO that I played in the tremolo video I did in the Newbies social group. I sure do like the sound from that thing. I also have a Weber Vintage F that I like even though the sound is different. I would love to try out a Weber Vintage A and probably will if I can find one at an affordable price (and if you don't beat me to it). In your price range you have a world of opportunities for very nice A mandolins.

The big thing is that it is normal and expected that you would expect a trial period and that your acceptance would depend on your subjective 'likes' or 'dislikes' rather than physical problems with the instrument. Make sure you get that. I have sent back instruments from very well-known builders because the sound was great but not to my liking. While I hated doing that, it was a lot cheaper than flying cross country and back to try them out.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Ron, those Flatirons are also known as "pancake" mandolins. Here is a current builder that gets good reviews........

http://crystalforestmandolins.com/recentlysold.html

Good luck with your search!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I'm a fan of the RedLine Traveler from Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustics
    Here's a new one for $950. Though the nut is 1 1/16"
    https://reverb.com/item/3440313-red-...lnut-sunburst?

Name:	Red_Line_Traveler-5.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	155706

NFI and I have not played one.....but Mike Black gets very good reviews and I really like the sound of his mandolins. I have a soft spot for mandolins from a one person shop. New would be a little over $2k but used one's do come up from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsY5n8KxQaI

He makes them with our without a vizri and here is a sound sample comparing them
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...lack+mandolins

I own Mike Black #27. I know the luthier and consider him a friend. The build quality is superb, vibe is very vintage Gibson snakehead. Mine has a big sound and has been played hard and regularly. They show up infrequently in the classifieds at reasonable prices.
    Mike Snyder

If you can find one at all,have a look at a Weber "Beartooth" oval hole - i used to own one & it was incredible. It was loud & powerful & as clear as crystal. Unfortunately,it developed a warped neck,something that can happen to any mandolin & i traded it in for another "F" style.The proposed repair carried out under warrant by Weber,would have taken many months & the particular "F" style
    (my Lebeda "Special") was on offer,
    Ivan

Name:	DSCF0424__Medium_.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	155739
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.