Thread: Scotland and Greece

Default Scotland and Greece

Hi Everyone.

I will be in Scotland and Greece for two weeks and I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on mandolin activities in those countries? For example, good acoustic shops with nice mandos or maybe even a luthier. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Alex

Default Re: Scotland and Greece

P.S. I already contacted Mike Vanden but he doesn't have any mandolins on hand.

There is a Scottish Bluegrass Association. Also, in Edinburgh there should be regular jams. (Was the case in 2012, when I was there.)

4. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

G7MOF 

Ask cafe member Dagger Gordon, he should know.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

You might find something via Nigel Gatherer : http://www.nigelgatherer.com/

There's Moon Guitars in Glasgow, who do mandolins : http://www.moonguitars.co.uk/
    And Taran Guitars : http://www.taranguitars.co.uk/instruments/mandolin
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Glasgow has plenty of sessions in various pubs, though quite often mandolins are not to the fore. Strong fiddle and accordion presence. Edinburgh has an active scene but I am not a frequenter of our capital city, being a West-coaster.
    In my neck of the woods we have a very friendly and informal wee session every Thursday evening in MacClures bar here in Dunoon in Argyllshire. Mix of fiddles, accordion, guitars and mandolin family instruments, and even small pipes. Rerely get above double figures, so it's a session you can have lots of playing in.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

If you're going to be in Crete, I can't give you any names, but I found makers in all the principal towns while there last summer. Some of the instruments were very nice.

There's also this school in Heraklion that offers workshops - looks really interesting.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbcee For This Useful Post:

There is a long-running Sunday night folk music session at Dram! (232-246 Woodlands Road, Glasgow G3 6ND). I only went once, but it was very friendly, very enjoyable. The location is only a short distance from the city centre.

ron

[Edit: There were a couple of mandolins participating on the night that I went.]
    Last edited by Ron McMillan; Apr-07-2017 at 11:36pm.

Two thumbs up to see Rory at Taran, moved now from Edinburgh to near Aberdeen. If his mandos are anything like his guitars, they have voice and huzzah-huzzah way beyond their size.

Just some country boy pointers for ya so you'll know whats what:

Greece is the one with good food, and Scotland's the one with pretty girls.

And they almost speak english in Scotland. Some of the words are nearly the same, but ya mightn have to listen twice. In the other one, point and yell all you want, but its all Greek to me.

Dont know what kind of tour bus you're on, but let me tell ya. Them twos not that close to one nother.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Ten years ago I took my parents on a tour of Cornwall and Scotland. We took the train up from London to Edinburgh. It was long day and we were all tired and looking forward to flopping into bed at our B+B. My dad hailed a cab at the Edinburgh train station and told the driver where we were going, which was not far. As we approached the B+B, my dad slipped him another ten-pound note and asked him to drive around a bit. This happened three times, much to our surprise, since dad said he was tiredest of all. When we finally made it to the B+B, I asked him: "Why the tour--I though you were ready for bed?" "I am ready for bed," dad said. "But I could listen to that cabby talk all night--didn't understand a word he said, but it sure sounded pretty."

there is a shop in athens called samuelian, in the district right beside the acropolis. its in the flea market type group of narrow streets and small shops. cheapest prices in athens. hit and miss for what he has. he will always have some greek instruments. i got a case for laouto that fits my mandocello. and a lavta . strings and things as well. in pireaus there is an area just north of the ferry terminal with several luthiers . some sell out of the shop with general stuff others just what they make there. it's just north of the subway stop. maybe three lanes north. also very near is the only all night rembitiko club left. i found a few other small shops in athens. again hit and miss, got a decent bouzouki hard shell case for 20 euros.(cost me 30 to ship it to canada) still cheap.i got the lavta and mandocello case on the plane.

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Is it just me, or does "Scotland and Greece" sound like a great name for a fiddle tune to you all, too?
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Roberts View Post
    Is it just me, or does "Scotland and Greece" sound like a great name for a fiddle tune to you all, too?
    It's just you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Roberts View Post
    Reminds me of deep fried pizza.

I'll get my shell suit.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Blog Entries

http://www.mandolinscotland.org/dacap.html
    FYI East Kilbride is a few miles south of Glasgow. The folks at DeCapoAlba are wonderfully enthusiastic mandolinists, many of whom are very active in the wider music scenes across that neck of the woods. The skill of some of the youngsters would make you want to hide the mandolin case. Anyway the website doesn't seem to get updated much, but they are active.

A few other bits n bobs;

http://www.scottish-folk-music.com/clubs.htm
    http://www.glasgowfiddle.org.uk/about

https://laurabethsalter.com/gigs/
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

19. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    It's just you.
    I have the tune worked out in my head. I'll try to get it down and post it this weekend if I have time.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    Ask cafe member Dagger Gordon, he should know.

Dave H
    When are you in Scotland? Will you be in the Highlands?

Dagger
    David A. Gordon

You should really go to Celtic Chords shop in Stonehaven near Aberdeen.
    http://celtic-chords.co.uk/about-us/

Owner Pete is now displaying high-quality recently-made mandolins by Marshall Dow of Aberdeen and many other well-selected instruments from the likes of Thomas Buchanan, Jimmy Moon and Eastman.

The best music shop for miles for mando, and better than any I've seen in Edinburgh or Glasgow or anywhere else recently.

Also Taran guitars is in Fife, which is still much closer to Edinburgh than Aberdeen.

Let us know when you're coming - festival season is coming up and it would be a shame if you missed some great ones through lack of foreknowledge.
    Bren

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    You should really go to Celtic Chords shop in Stonehaven near Aberdeen.
    It's always nice to learn about a shop I hadn't heard of. The link you provided doesn't work.

This one should do the trick.

24. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Bren 

There's also an excellent fish and chip shop in Stonehaven - the one with the long queue, down by the beach, near the campsite and swimming pool and not the one which claims to have invented the deep fried Mars-bar!

I'll have to re-visit Celtic Chords; they didn't have much in stock when I called in last September.

To be fair, they're both pretty good but only one of them is supplied by a banjo playing folk singing fishmonger.

Topical or what:

Last night I bumped into Greek musicians George Tsimbouksis (bouzouki) and Nikos Sarigiannis (guitar, bouzouki) at a pub session.

They are on their annual visit to Aberdeen with Labrini Gioti (piano, singing) , as guests of the Hellenic Society.

They are all terrific musicians and I urge anyone within striking distance of Aberdeen to catch one of their shows:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6b0af8c0c7.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	156156

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2uyljkx.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	156157

They have a keen insert in Scottish and Irish music and Labrini has actually studied Gaelic song in Ireland
    Bren