Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling a Mandolin

Blog Entries

Default Selling a Mandolin

Heya, Everyone:

I'm noy trying to double advertise ere, but I have a mando sale dilemma. I am trying to sell a $2200 instrument or $1299, and I have no/zero hits. Nothing. What's the catch? How can I list it better? It's an awesome mandolin I'm selling only due to MAS, nothing more.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Default Re: Selling a Mandolin

I'm not sure what is up with that either. I've been watching that Redline A5 since you listed it at $1500 and thought it was a good deal then. I've recommended it in a few threads to people looking for a solid mandolin. It's a stellar deal now at $1200.
    It could be that Redline has not been producing carved top mandolins for a long time, so they don't have as much name recognition? They've been building the Army/Navy traveler for ages, but have only been doing A5 models for about 3 years. I've only recently been able to play some of Steve's mandolins, but they were both quite good. I think if they were branded as Cumberland Acoustics mandolins, they might move faster since many know Steve's mandolin bridges under that name. Anyhow, if I hadn't just bought a Franzke A5, I'd have purchased that Redline days ago.
    Best of luck with your sale. What are you picking up to replace it?
    PS- it's a tight time for a lot of folks with the tax man looking for his share right now

Sometimes it can just be luck. I bought my Silverangel the day it was listed because it was on a short list of what I had my eyes on, was priced right and I was going to buy a new MT that very day. saved a bundle.

I sold a pedal steel guitar before I listed it on the steel forum because I asked for opinions of what it was worth. Got a PM with a very fair offer the same day. Guy had been looking for exactly what I had, which was quite rare.

Other times stuff just sits there.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I'm on the other side of things right now. I responded to an ad (not yours) not too long after it was posted and never got a response.
    Seems like good etiquette would be to at least tell me if I was too slow or if the seller changed his mind.

5. The following members say thank you to Thomaston for this post:

G7MOF 

Kevin, probably just unlucky timing. I'm going to be writing a huge check to Uncle Sammy later this week, or I'd jump on it as well. Of course, I need another A style like I need another...oh, well. Sigh. Tax time
    Chuck

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I can't have all the mandolins I would like to own ......... I expect others are in the same "pickle". Patience .... it is a buyers market. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Briggs View Post
    What's the catch? How can I list it better?
    The catch is probably a matter of supply and demand. While Steve makes universally respected bridges, and I have personally enjoyed the two Redline Travelers that I have owned, there isn't tremendous buzz in the fora about his A5 mandolins for whatever reason (such as lack of exposure). Thus, I wouldn't expect the demand to be there. Meanwhile, the inventory of Collings MTs and other domestic A5's in the sub-$2K range is pretty glutted. Heck, Bradford & Franzke have been sitting on a Redline A5 for $1375, a Triggs for $1400, and a Girouard for $1275 (and they're a shop!). So supply is working against you as well. Aside from your price drops, the only advice that I would offer to improve your listing would be to link some high quality audio samples. The hope would be that hearing the instrument's performance would create the demand that you seek. Good luck!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Other than the cafe, where have you tried to sell it? I've had good luck selling my mandos on eBay Craigslist.

Craigslist is slow but it does work, minus the scammers

I think it's down to time of year. Folks who leave it late to do their taxes (like me) may not know whether they're going to owe a bunch of $$ so could be holding off on pulling the trigger on big purchases. That said after tax day there may be folks who discover they're getting a bigger refund than initially thought and that could play in your favor then. I'm in the same boat. Listed my MTO and zero inquiries, yet any time I was looking for an MTO it seemed like the instant one went up it sold shortly afterwards - bah!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Kevin, I had a similar experience. I tried to sell my Breedlove F style oval hole on the Classifieds. It was a custom model with top binding, blond with killer flame on the back. Really nice instrument. Listed it for 1000, ad expired, re- listed, I came down to 900 with shipping included. One nibble, no bites. Ended up consigning it to Elderly. Whoever bought it paid 1100 to Elderly for it. They would have saved big time by just buying it from me. But Elderly has worldwide visibility, a trusted business, and include their set up. I have had great luck consigning with them. Everything I've ever consigned with them (18- yes, I'm downsizing) has sold with only 2 exceptions.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

13. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

As mentioned I don't think the Redline has enough exposure and reviews. It seems there is a comfort level with instruments that are talked about commonly or you can find lots of youtube sound samples. I would also second the recommendation of making a sound sample, you are a good picker so you could it's good qualities. If you are not desperate to sell it take it to some jams and upcoming festivals. I would be much more interested in a mandolin if I could hear and play it.

I have only been playing mandolin for a few years and it does seem that we are in the golden age of mandolin building. There are so many terrific mandolins being made and you don't have to spend a lot to get something good. We are a very small group of musicians.

It has been mentioned here (Loar threads among others) and many other arenas but there is a shift as the boomers are downsizing and passing. Art, antiques, custom knives, collectable fly fishing and other collectables are really soft right now and there just does not seem to be the collectors coming up to drive the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I think it's down to time of year. Folks who leave it late to do their taxes (like me) may not know whether they're going to owe a bunch of $$ so could be holding off on pulling the trigger on big purchases. That said after tax day there may be folks who discover they're getting a bigger refund than initially thought and that could play in your favor then. I'm in the same boat. Listed my MTO and zero inquiries, yet any time I was looking for an MTO it seemed like the instant one went up it sold shortly afterwards - bah!
    Yep, I just did my taxes and need to cut a check to my governmental friends for $5.7K! No new purchases for me. I am thinking about moving on from mando but will wait a month or before listing mine to let this glut of great instruments pass.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

I also think posting a video of you playing it would help out. And link to some more detailed pictures. Maybe more description of what you like best about it?
    I think I'm probably in the same boat if I ever decide to sell this Franzke A5. It is a fantastic mandolin, and Mark Franzke is a great builder who's been building mandolins for 20 years, but he has less name recognition than Collings.

Blog Entries

Thanks, everyone!

I will most likely to the consignment route as well. I've dropped the price so much I may as well pay $200 to Eldetly or the Mandolin Store to do it for me. Honestly, to sell it for what I have listed would be a shame. It's really, really nice.

~ Kevin

Blog Entries

I just issued these up in the ad:

Review:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yyp_JiXKb8M

In Action:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IOodKtO_Bts
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Sounds great! Nice pickin!

The Mandolin Store won't take consignments. Elderly of course will. I've done it many times. The deal is, if I remember correctly, 15 percent if the sales price is over 1000, 20 percent for 500-1000, 25 percent for under 500. The cost to set up and correct any problems they find is on you. Shipping is paid by the eventual buyer. They may also offer to buy outright or store credit, but consignment is pretty much always the most money in your pocket.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Listed my The Loar 520 here. Nothing. Listed it on eBay, sold in three days. I think the audience on the Mandolin Cafe is too limited compared to eBay.
    Eastman MD 515
    1991 33SB Gemeinhardt Flute
    1996 Yamaha YAS 62 Alto Sax

22. The following members say thank you to Mr5150 for this post:

I think it is somewhat a matter of item and price. I sold 3 sub $1000 mandolins on the MC classifieds in the last month. Once you get above $1000 the buyers get scarce, and most who are able to spend $1000, can spend $1700-$2000 on a Collings MT, so I think a $1500 (or even $1200) mandolin is in some strange middle ground here.

I think Steve's Redline A5 mandolins are fantastic and at essentially half price, yours is a good buy. Those in-the-know would jump on that, but most have not had a chance to sample one in person. Looking online, it seems that dealers are discounting Redline A5 mandolins too. Carter's (Nashville) and Harry's (Raleigh) both have them marked down to $1950 new. With only about 10-15 of them having been produced, it is probably a much harder sell than more widely distributed and recognized brands.

So, either you're going to have to sit on it for a while at your price, or drop it even more if you need to sell, or hang on to it, until Redline A5 mandolins gather more of a following.
    Last edited by colorado_al; Apr-09-2017 at 8:01pm.

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    The cost to set up and correct any problems they find is on you.
    I don't know how Elderly handles this, but, and it's a big butt, I know setups and repairs were one of Gruhn's gimmicks on consignment instruments to pad his bottom line. In other words, "every" consignment requires some setup and repair as a matter of practice -- you're expecting to get back $800 on a $1000 sale, but instead you get $600 or $650! Disappointing to say the least, especially when the instrument was fine. Anyway, read the fine print before signing/consigning.

25. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

I really don't know why these aren't marketed as Cumberland mandolins. Why would you start out with a new name when you have a very well regarded brand name already established? Only a few realize the connection, and more casual players will gravitate to the comfort zone of an established well known name. That Red Line sounds just about perfect to me.

The marketplace is fickle. How many Collings mandolins are sold to Collings guitar owners? How many of these buyers, buying their first mandolin, really seek out different mandolins to play? The fact is, buying an MT is a cant go wrong choice. I myself came within three hours of buying one when upgrading from my Eastman. Knowing what I know now, I stumbled blindly into the right choice for me.

Now I'd like an MT to compliment my SA. LOL.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Briggs View Post
    Heya, Everyone:

I'm noy trying to double advertise ere, but I have a mando sale dilemma. I am trying to sell a $2200 instrument or $1299, and I have no/zero hits. Nothing. What's the catch? How can I list it better? It's an awesome mandolin I'm selling only due to MAS, nothing more.

This is likely not really what you want to hear, but my counsel would be 1) patience, and 2), in the meantime don't consign it.

Like a few others already noted, not many people have seen or heard a Red Line yet. I have heard and handled one newly-bought A5. Although I would not have been tempted at its new price (well over $2K), it is bound to appeal to someone eventually at $1300 (note that your ad is still asking $1499, not $1299). Just keep in mind all the recurring threads in the "best value/best deal for an American-made A-style mandolin".

In my opinion, your 2nd (performance) video is a better showcase for the mandolin. I would suggest providing a link to a set of nice pictures. Promoting the mandolin as a seller with a highly positive "review" is maybe not really the way to go. Just my opinion.

I have no doubt that this Red Line stands well above the other mandolins you mention having owned in the video (other than the Weber Fern). In light of the really high marks you give this Red Line - and the good sound it demonstrates in your video - and the fact that you have only had it for a year or so - Why not think about keeping it and playing it awhile longer as your main mandolin? I would be confident that given time, you can resell this for the ~$1300 you are asking, and I don't think you need to give Elderly a big cut.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Yep. Be patient. It will sell.

Bob
    re simmers

Most types of items are seasonal. Instruments are among these and this time of year is not the best time to sell. Most that wanted a mandolin bought one with their tax refund, so sales will plummet off for a while. Spring and summer, gets a little boost from festivals, but is hurt by vacations and outdoor recreation. Then comes back to school (good for band, instruments, not for fretted).... and finally, we make it over to the holidays and sales are great for a short period.

Keep in mind that many retailers lose money many months of the year and then make it up in a couple of BIG sales peaks (like Christmas).
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger