Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Chip Picks - Help Understanding Different Types

Default Blue Chip Picks - Help Understanding Different Types

Hey All -
    Just learning about Blue Chip picks, and I'm completely confused by all the different models available. Can anyone help explain? Is it just a matter of size and shape? How do I know which is right for me?

http://shop.bluechippick.net/flatpicks/

Thanks!

Default Re: Blue Chip Picks - Help Understanding Different Types

The differences between them are no different than the differences between different Tortex picks, different Primetones, different Wegens, etc...

If you look at the site, the size comparisons are laid out very well.

BC makes nice products, but they're still picks. What makes you prefer your current pick?
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by mandoglobal View Post
    Hey All -
    Just learning about Blue Chip picks, and I'm completely confused by all the different models available. Can anyone help explain? Is it just a matter of size and shape? How do I know which is right for me?

http://shop.bluechippick.net/flatpicks/

Thanks!
    There is no sure way to know what pick is right but to make an educated guess. For me that was a TAD 1R 60. I still have it and use it every day. The one rounded tip is there to experiment with if I want. Money back if you just can't stand it and they sell fast for $25 down the road.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

You've been on this site for ~ 10 years. Presumably, have played mandolin for ~ that time. You likely have a preferred pick. The BC website, with photos and specs, can allow you to match your wants to your needs. That, and the loads of threads on here...

So I have been playing mandolin for about 14 years, and throughout the years I've had a few favorite picks. I started playing with Golden Gates, moved up to Wegens (of which I played a couple different models), and now, BlueChips. You've really gotta make the decision based on your own personal preference, or do what I did and make a wild choice and go completely against what you've always played, just for fun, because they will refund you if you're not happy! For most of my mandolin playing life I was playing with picks that had 3 rounded corners (Golden Gates and Wegens). I bought a CT55 from BlueChip, with three pointed corners, had to change my right hand technique a bit, and now I just cannot go back to rounded corners.

The bottom line is, check out what they have on their website, and make a choice based on your desires. If you play rounded and don't want to leave that world, check out the rounded picks and see what fits for you! And if worst comes to worst, you get a refund and try a new one!

Thanks for the info. I know exactly what's preferences are - my question was how to interpret the different models offered. If they are simply different shapes and thicknesses, then that's easy. Just wasn't very clear if there were differences beyond that.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Shapes and thicknesses are what the variance is all about the material remains the same. Doesn't show much wear and is easy to hang on to. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Not sure where you are but if there is a large festival nearby BC may be there and you can check out the picks in person. I have tried the TP-1R and the TAD shapes from 50-80 and my fav is the TAD 80. I like the large shape and it's very rigid so (for me) it glides thru the strings with very little effort. Everyone who has tried it likes it and ends up getting one even though they have other BC.

I'd say pick one and buy it, try it, and if you don't like it they have a return policy and they sell fast in the classifieds here, it's where I've gotten my BC and sell the ones I no longer care for. When I looked at the classifieds earlier today there were several for sale.

I agree with mandoglobal...the BlueChip site shows the relative shapes and thickness but trying to determine how big or small a particular pick is, is kind of cryptic.

Which BlueChip picks are about the size of the PrimeTone Small Triangle?
    Dobro Mandolin
    Kentucky Dawg Mandola
    Fender FM-53S
    Rogue RM-100A-BK

I think they all show the pick compared to a coin. Maybe you can make a rough guess by comparing the pick you have to the same coin. I think it is a quarter they are using.
    RDB8847

Kimble #244

Still can't find pictures of picks with coins!
    Dobro Mandolin
    Kentucky Dawg Mandola
    Fender FM-53S
    Rogue RM-100A-BK

Some picks are shown compared to a quarter, others with a ruler.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I found it! "Larger/More Photos"
    Dobro Mandolin
    Kentucky Dawg Mandola
    Fender FM-53S
    Rogue RM-100A-BK

The pictures of the picks with coins are easy to find. Just select the shape you want (start with TD or TAD as they are probably most common), and then you'll go to a page where it shows pictures of the different thicknesses. Click on any one of those and you'll go to a page where you can put that pick in your shopping cart. The pictures of the picks with the coins are there.

In addition to size, shape, and thickness, you also need to know whether or not you want a speed bevel or the round bevel. The speed bevel has right hand a left hand options. You would only get the left hand bevel if you play with a reverse pick angle like John Reischman (or you're left handed and play with the more common forward angle).

Round bevel is how most picks come. Some people call that "no bevel" but it is still a bevel (it's just symmetrical and has a more rounded edge - thing of a pro plec, fender, etc). The speed bevel is what you see on a Wegen or a Prime Tone.

Half gross , 72, fender picks are also about 35 bucks, you can try reshaping your larger ones like the #46, fingernail files work for this..

and seeing what you like, then get the BC closest to that..

I find if you hold the mandolin cradling it with your arm under the tailpiece*,
    the RH bevel is not used, and then even Right handers may like the left, rounded
    or double bevel..

* you may see jethro burns during his career with homer haynes , doing this ,( no strap )
    on old TV show clips...

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I keep a TP 50 in my wallet just in case I come across a mandolin to try. A 3R 55 lives under the strings of my A-2.I do prefer rounded tips.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Quote Originally Posted by dylanferris View Post
    So I have been playing mandolin for about 14 years, and throughout the years I've had a few favorite picks. I started playing with Golden Gates, moved up to Wegens (of which I played a couple different models), and now, BlueChips. You've really gotta make the decision based on your own personal preference, or do what I did and make a wild choice and go completely against what you've always played, just for fun, because they will refund you if you're not happy! For most of my mandolin playing life I was playing with picks that had 3 rounded corners (Golden Gates and Wegens). I bought a CT55 from BlueChip, with three pointed corners, had to change my right hand technique a bit, and now I just cannot go back to rounded corners.
    !
    Wow, did I type that? Also 14 years here and started with GG, then Wegens. I did use the organic not to be mentioned material for a couple years until I bought my first BC. I thought the tone was as good and the feel was better and the wear much better (I've noticed basically 0 wear on my BCs). I went from the TAD60 to the CT55 for a long time, but then went the opposite direction with the KS60. Super round and small.

I have been using a TAD50-1R on guitar for years now but just ordered a TP48 yesterday to try. Guessing I will love it on guitar and hate it for mandolin. TBD.

I also ordered one of the Cooperstand Duro Pro stands from them since it qualified the rest of the order for free shipping. Seems like a cool stand from the video. TBD.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Mandoglobal, once you get the size and thickness figured out, then there is the added complexity of the radius and speed bevels. Starting out, I'd just go with a TAD-1R and see what you like. You have the best of both worlds to try out. It was confusing at first, and after using the BC for a while, I was beginning to realize exactly how to use it. Which side of the pick is down for the speed bevel for example. I always used the pointed ends, and when swapping to the rounded end, the sound was terribly muted and soft. This is helping me to correct a right hand problem where I am plucking at the string instead of driving through both pairs.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

$35 for as simple a thing as a mando pick is downright, well, dumb. geez louise.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    $35 for as simple a thing as a mando pick is downright, well, dumb. geez louise.
    Have you ever tried one? I have had my TAD 50 1R for several years now and it is my go to pick. I find it gives me a fuller tone that a Primetone or a Wegen or a Hense or a Red Bear, of which I own all of them. $35 is cheap compared to the cost of my mandolin, it is less than 1%. I think it was money well spent.

I was at a good jam in a music store last night. The guy had a display tree of Blue Chip picks. One pick was a TAD 100, cost was $75.00. I asked him to special order me a KS80. It will be $50. Looking forward to receiving it.

And Louise has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Have you ever tried one? I have had my TAD 50 1R for several years now and it is my go to pick. I find it gives me a fuller tone that a Primetone or a Wegen or a Hense or a Red Bear, of which I own all of them. $35 is cheap compared to the cost of my mandolin, it is less than 1%. I think it was money well spent.
    yep, more than one BC "model". at least for me it's a waste of good dollars. louise was NOT impressed at all. this kinda nonsense is just a placebo of sorts, typically for the newbies or bedroom players who really can't play all that well.

Rfd,
    Are you insinuating that anyone who uses a BC is a bedroom player and you are better than anyone else. Perhaps you should reconsider your post as I find it very insulting.

24. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Blog Entries

I have been curious about the BC's for a while, so I have been pitching change into a jar on my nightstand with an aim to getting one to try out. Ordered it last weekend and it (TAD 50) arrived yesterday.

I warmed up with my Wegen 140 with near identical dimensions, then switched to the BC. I had no trouble discerning a difference in tone and feel. I like it. I can't quantify the difference. But I will start the change in the jar thing again today so I can get a back up.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Rfd,
    Are you insinuating that anyone who uses a BC is a bedroom player and you are better than anyone else. Perhaps you should reconsider your post as I find it very insulting.
    hey look - all this stuff about music and instruments is loaded with subjectiveness. each of us is somewhat unique at the least, and that's a good thing. if you feel that YOUR music is enhanced by holding and using a $35-75 pick, good for you. clearly you see that as a smart thing, where for ME it'd be a dumb thing. lotsa great mando music has been made with quarter or a sliver of wood or one's educated thumb, let alone real tortoise or common plastic. do whatever works best for you, but as threads such as this one illuminates to the experienced, there really is no pressing need to 'get on the bandwagon' an buy an over-the-top expensive pick. geez louise.