Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hiscox Case - nice!

Default Re: Hiscox Case - nice!

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    Gerry
    how much does the Hiscox case weigh?

very nice mandolin also, btw!

I have one of the arches A kits I plan to start soon.

d
    Hi, Daryl,

I weighed mine and it concurs with what other folks are saying: 8lbs. It's a single pound heavier than the other, Superior case I was using. But, it fits much better and the protective factor is much higher.

Thanks for the comment on the F4. The quality you are seeing in the kit Chris builds is in every bit of this F4. Top notch stuff. I also have one of his FTO's and it is a regular player. His fretwork is as good, or much better than many other brands I have played.

As for the case; Other points after having had it for a few days:

I would point out that the exterior material, although it looks like a Guardian, or other cheaper case, is much more dense and protective than those in that price range ($80-120). Hiscox claims to have tested their cases to 500kg.

The interior is very well designed to keep the instrument in place with just the right amount of force.

For me, any added bulk is well worth the protection the case provides. I have a padded strap and it fits and carries without any issues.

The clasps are dual-action. They loosen/partially disengage with the first flip, but you have to activate it a second time to get the latch to let go. That's an added safety factor I prefer, and don't see it as a problem.
    Last edited by Gerry Cassidy; Jul-01-2018 at 5:23pm.

For anybody owning a Hiscox case,be careful when removing your mandolin from the case (or putting it back in even). The latches stick out at 90 Deg to the case ie.( see post #18), they don't fold down out of the way,& if you catch your mandolin on one,you're in for a deep scratch. I much prefer the TKL style latches,they fold completely out of the way - just a cautionary word,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Of those that ended up purchasing a Hiscox case were Calton/Hoffee cases ever in the running? I’m curious if the price for protection ratio was a factor or if the later cases are in a whole separate category.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, for those that did get a Hiscox did you go for white or black exterior. I wish they still made them with the red plush interior. I not a huge fan if the silver I have seen in pics. Too bad they don’t offer the green velour like I have in my Artist archtop guitar case.

Phil

Blog Entries

I had a Austin Calton for a while. Looks great, it's plenty protective, loves stickers and isn't too large. I trust the latches to stay closed. It has a tiny storage compartment that's ok but not handy for everyday use

The Hiscox is function over beauty. Plain looking but very sturdy exterior design - not sticker friendly. Well designed interior with ample storage. Pretty handy for everyday use. I thought everyone liked a silver lining

Def a functional, utilitarian case. Depending on your druthers, it's either yay or nay. A short-coming, for me, is the lack of stuff pocket covers/lids when open.

Just ordered one(Artist's series mandolin case)from Musician's Friend. They are having a sale now for the 4th. Price was $186.

Made sure they would refund if it doesn't fit my F4. No problem.
    Helpful person at Musician's Friend.

PS:My teens F4's neck connects to body at 12th fret like the Arches F4;so,
    should fit. Will know soon.

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    Just ordered one(Artist's series mandolin case)from Musician's Friend. They are having a sale now for the 4th. Price was $186.

Made sure they would refund if it doesn't fit my F4. No problem.
    Helpful person at Musician's Friend.

PS:My teens F4's neck connects to body at 12th fret like the Arches F4;so,
    should fit. Will know soon.

If it's the same spec as my F4 it'll fit just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by goaty76 View Post
    Of those that ended up purchasing a Hiscox case were Calton/Hoffee cases ever in the running? I’m curious if the price for protection ratio was a factor or if the later cases are in a whole separate category.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, for those that did get a Hiscox did you go for white or black exterior. I wish they still made them with the red plush interior. I not a huge fan if the silver I have seen in pics. Too bad they don’t offer the green velour like I have in my Artist archtop guitar case.

Phil
    When I was on the road this is the kind of case protection I used. It's cumbersome, but, for me, well worth the extra effort. Not only are the instruments very nice (usually), but they were also my main tools for making a living.

Sticker Friendly!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flight Case - Sticker Friendly.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	791.4 KB 
ID:	169119

Best latch mechanism I've ever used.

Name:	Flight Case - Latch.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	605.5 KB 
ID:	169122

Corner Hardware

Name:	Flight Case - Corner.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	662.6 KB 
ID:	169121

Form-Fitted Interior with medium-light foam and velour.

Name:	Flight Case - Int Close - Pref.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	169120

This case is worth what you'd pay for a Calton these days. The only way I'd buy a Calton, or similar would be if I were going on the road and could expense it. Even then, I'd probably get an Anvil to fit it in for the added protection.

Big bucks stuff! My wallet is VERY happy I only need something as good as the Hiscox these days!

From Mark Wilson - "..not sticker friendly." ?????. I had no problems with mine. They stayed on the case for over 18 months until i removed them when i gave it away ,
    Ivan

Name:	DSCF0001.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	169136
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

My used Northfield came with a Hiscox case. I love it. Much lighter than it looks, but crazy rigid. It just feels and looks incredibly well made. The way the metal trim seals when you close it is impressive; you can't even find the line.

Blog Entries

I love mine. I use it to carry around a JBovier EMC-5. A Vox AC-30 headphone amp, a Soundbrenner haptic metronome, a pair of ear buds, a bunch of picks, and a strap all fit easily into the storage compartment.

My Mix F5 and my Vessel F5 both get Eastman fibreglass cases. I wish the Hiscox was shaped (if not domed). It would be a little less bulky. And no, weight is absolutely no issue.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by goaty76 View Post
    Phil
    Hi Phil,

Not quite an answer to your question, but here is my experience. I had a Hiscox and went to a Hoffee instead. This was for a couple of reasons, but safety of the instrument in the case was not one of them. I was satisfied with the safety of my mandolin in either case. Hiscox are great cases, Hoffees are great too. The two are quite different, though.

First issue was bulk. Certainly the Hoffee is not a small case, but the shape is more conducive to fitting in tight spaces when I am traveling. Often I travel by train (Amtrak) and I never store my instrument overhead. I worry that it might walk away if I doze off or am distracted. Unlike a plane, the train's multiple stops increase theft risk. It goes either on the seat next to me if the train is mostly empty, or upright at my feet if the train is full. This works well with the Hoffee but not so well with the Hiscox. For me that is a big issue.

The other issue is one that some might scoff at, but it did bother me. I regularly stay at large conference center hotels and end up carrying my instrument with me at some point during the conference (first day before check-in, last day after check-out etc.). I have never had this problem with my Weber, Guardian, unknown generic, or Gator (a personal favorite) cases, or now my Hoffee case, or with gig bags. But the only time I used the Hiscox, Hotel Security was bird-dogging me something awful. It was obvious, unsubtle, and really made me uncomfortable (and clearly, them uncomfortable, too). At first I didn't know why, but as I thought about it, I realized all the other cases were shaped and hence recognizable as instrument cases. The Hiscox was not recognizable and could be for something they really did not want in a crowded public setting (a gun case).

It is unfortunate that we live in a society/time when such vigilance on the part of hotel security is called for, but that is what I experienced and even if it would never happen again, it did happen that once and really put me off the Hiscox. Could stickers have helped? Perhaps, but I keep my cases clean, neat and unadorned due to the professional nature of my travel requirements. This was a problem for me and hence, I stick with my Hoffee or other shaped cases.

As for your aesthetics question, the Hiscox was black with silver interior, my Hoffee is a gorgeous dark blue with a blue interior. Interior color does not matter to me at all.

Best wishes, Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    The other issue is one that some might scoff at, but it did bother me. I regularly stay at large conference center hotels and end up carrying my instrument with me at some point during the conference (first day before check-in, last day after check-out etc.). I have never had this problem with my Weber, Guardian, unknown generic, or Gator (a personal favorite) cases, or now my Hoffee case, or with gig bags. But the only time I used the Hiscox, Hotel Security was bird-dogging me something awful. It was obvious, unsubtle, and really made me uncomfortable (and clearly, them uncomfortable, too). At first I didn't know why, but as I thought about it, I realized all the other cases were shaped and hence recognizable as instrument cases. The Hiscox was not recognizable and could be for something they really did not want in a crowded public setting (a gun case).
    This had not even occurred to me. I suppose living in the UK has allowed me to not think about it.
    I used to have a handmade lap dulcimer. Bought it from the maker, North Country Dulcimers, in upstate New York somewhere, with a hard case option. The hard case ended up being a rifle case with the foam inserts cut to accent the dulcimer! Don't think I would be carrying that around any more!

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    This had not even occurred to me. I suppose living in the UK has allowed me to not think about it.
    I used to have a handmade lap dulcimer. Bought it from the maker, North Country Dulcimers, in upstate New York somewhere, with a hard case option. The hard case ended up being a rifle case with the foam inserts cut to accent the dulcimer! Don't think I would be carrying that around any more!

Daniel
    Hadn't occurred to me, either. Sign o' the times, I guess.

Personally, I was kinda bugged that it looks like a saxophone case. Heaven forbid someone confuse me with a sax player!
    Last edited by Gerry Cassidy; Jul-03-2018 at 7:12pm.

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Hiscox is a great case. It's so sturdy that it even gives you a seat if you need one. The interior is spacious and designed in an intelligent way that should accommodate any mandolin.

Stickers do indeed have a hard time sticking to mine ... I've had to superglue several of them!

I mostly use a Gator case these days, just because I can carry it on my back and cycle with it. But for a car, train or plane journey, I'd trust the Hiscox.

And I had to do some significant and irreversible surgery to the interior of the Gator because my slightly wider mandolin didn't fit. No such problems with the Hiscox.

ok, here comes the rain for the parade: from a pure impact point of view, small points of contact are not what you want.

Better is form fitting padding that spreads out an impact over a large area rather than concentrating it at a few points.

Would you rather fall on a flagpole even if it has a soft top, or a mattress, hopefully that illustrates the point.

My cheapo case that came with the eastmans from the mandolin store is a perfect fit for the body bottom and sides and the neck, and while it may be less crush resistant than a Hiscox, I would rather see small impacts with that case.

It's main weakness is the top padding contacts the bridge and strings, so the top takes impacts from that direction, but the other five axes are better cushioned than what I see in that Hiscox. That design is necessary to allow a top rest unfortunately.

The sheer thickness of the Hiscox padding is appealing however.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Re. 'stickers' on a Hiscox case. I used an Isopropyl Alcohol spray can & a cotton cloth to clean off any grease,& the stickers stuck very well indeed. ABS does have a 'greasy' feel to it,like a few other plastics,but well cleaned - stickers should 'stick' !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.