Thread: HEIDENFEST photos

And a good time was had by all..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HF3.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	9154  

Michael Heiden is in the bottom row with shorts......can you name the two Supergrass organizers.....famous film maker.....ol' rock star? among others......

There were also 3 Loars in attendance with TWO July 9ths

Name:	HF7.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	9155  

more......

Name:	HF8.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	9156  

jammin'

Name:	HF10.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	9157  

Are these guys havin' fun?

Name:	HF11.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	9158  

The guitar, owned by Lowell Levinger, is being held by Kay Heiden

Name:	HF12.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	9159  

"can you name the two Supergrass organizers.....famous film maker.....ol' rock star?"

I recognize Finn and Banana...(Bob Blanchard, too)

I heard a report and it sounds like a heck of a good time. BTW, I like the stained glass. A friend of mine has a nice studio near me, the whole studio is glass walled. She always has her latest creations hanging up. I go over every once in awhile to hang out and soak up the creativity.

And I got to see my first Arches mandolin in person, built by Chris Baird......an earlier one, cool African burl headstock vaneer, exotic wood binding......walnut back & sides.....nice work Chris!

A big thank you to Arthur Stern for hosting this event. It was my first comando meeting of any sort, and I had a great time. There was the most amazing collection of mandolins in one place that I've ever seen!

Oh yes, and I wouldn't want anyone to think there were only Heiden mandolins there ... there were Gibson, Weins, Unicorn, Collings, Stelling, Arches, Paganoni, weber and so many more I can't list them all here, or for that matter remember them all. Mando-overload!

I notice one of the supergrass organizers has devloped a soup-strainer moustache
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

I'd really like to thank Arthur for his hospitality. We had a wonderful time and it was great to see all my customers and their instruments in one place. So many mandolins... so little time. Kay and I are leaving the Bay area today and heading slowly up the Oregon coast winding our way home to chilly Chilliwack.
    Thanks again Arthur!

Thanks to Michael and Kay for making the long drive to put the Heidens in HeidenFest!

Thanks to Arthur for a great time, as always.

(Did you all get a look at those brilliant stained glass sculptures behind us in the photos? #Anyone know of an office building in need of some sculpture for their lobby? #We have to keep Arthur in mandolins! #Check out www.arthurstern.com--I'm looking out my own Stern window in my place right now and it's the greatest.)

And thanks to all the others present, Heiden and non-Heiden owners alike--it was so much fun.

If anyone is interested in more detail on the blonde Heiden in the photos (not Kay, but the mandolin I'm holding!), or you'd like to take the quiz and guess whether John Reischman is playing that one or his Loar, visit www.lpb.com/mando/heiden. #Michael's own web site is here: www.heideninstruments.com

Best to all,

Larry

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Hey right, that was a great one. My first chance to play not only one Heiden, but I've lost count of how many! It was also great to meet Arthur and Mr. and Mrs. Heiden. Lots of great mandolins, great folks, and great snacks. THANKS ARTHUR!
    John A. Karsemeyer

This was my second Heiden Fest - thanks Arthur. Every Comando event is better than the next - just being able to see and play these instruments is really a delight. Thank you one and all.

Auther! Thanks for the great time! My second visit to your studio. Wonderful spot, great folks and outstanding mandos!! Played some great Heidens, and it was fun to see Michael again. What a nice guy. And....an unexpected treat, I got to play the best Loar I have ever seen. Harry's is the best sounding one on the planet.........at least the best one of the 6 I have ever held....

Thanks again Auther and Michael!

Mason Harris

Just wanted to mention to any lurking San Francisco Bay Area mandolinists or mandolin enthusiasts: If you're not already among the 45 or so of us on the very low-volume "SFBayMando" mailing list, you are invited to join. #Just go to: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/SFBayMando/. #The purpose of the list is just to share announcements of local mandolin-related concerts and events (like HeidenFest). #I also maintain a local mandolin-related calendar there.

Thanks,

Larry

Yo Honeyboy......Grisman borrowed Harry's Loar back in about 1978, for Todd Phillips to play..... on the first David Grisman Quintet album. So..... he has owned it for quite some time.
    Arthur

I've played Harry's Loar once at the old Taco Jam on Piedmont Ave...First Loar I ever played and still the one I remember sounding best...

DJW

Two of my favorite things at the Heidenfest were the two tenor guitars converted to octave mandolins. If the gentleman who owned them is around here, could you please let us know the details and who did the modifications? I would love to have one myself.

Got a chance to see and hear a Heiden up close at Bean Blossom. Emory Lester has one. A nice darker top with excellent tone. Didnt get to play it but he could make it sound very good.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

Mteresko....if I'm not mistaken, those octaves are owned by Hal....from Sacramento, fella w/ the "soup strainer" as Beimborn says above......he is one of the organizers of that new BG Festival.....Supergrass.....in Bakersfield, CA on Super Bowl weekend in Feb. I'm not sure who did the conversion work for Hal, but I did hear a few fellas trying to buy one from him. He had a nice Heiden & one of those ol' Gibson's too. Since nobody guessed....Craig, the fella in the black & white shirt in the photos, is also involved with Supergrass, he was up here...all the way from Bakersfield......but Michael & Kay Heiden get the award for driving the greatest distance, all the way from Chilliwack Canada.