Thread: Beginner OM Advice

Default Beginner OM Advice

Hey folks! I guess my MAS is back! (Or would it be CBOM-AS in this case?)

Anyway, after playing mandolin for a while I thought I'd look to expand to octave. The issue is that OMs seem to be quite expensive compared to mandolins!

Are there any decent offers around for a beginner instrument? I know better than look to something like Hora, but I'd still like to limit my budget to something like $400~500 MAX, as I'm not positive I'll stick with the OM for the long term.

• What are your guys' thoughts on brands like Ashbury and Countryman? Can they be decent with a proper setup?
    • Should I be looking at restored and converted Waldzithers (e.g. by Dave Hynds) as a viable alternative? They sound good enough in the YouTube videos, but I'm a bit concerned about playability and intonation, with them being 'vintage' instruments and all
    • Or should I just wait/save a little more to buy a more expensive instrument, because the above options aren't good enough? What should I be looking at then - a factory-made instrument, or comissioning one from a maker (again, Dave Hynds' OMs look and sound great)

Thanks a bunch and happy picking!
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

Default Re: Beginner OM Advice

Have you looked at Thomann.de? I'm new to the instrument but I'm happy with mine: https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_oc...FUeVGwodrAMN5w

I think, well guess, from the pattern around the sound hole that it's the same as the Hora but don't let that put you off!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Finding out if you like the OM in the long run is more complicated than just Trial&Decision:

#1 coming from the mandolin, you'll find the scale length cumbersome until you found what to to differently, technique-wise. That can take a while and applies for all OM scale lenghts.

#2 do you like the sound? OMs can be very different here. A sound you love can carry you through #1, other sounds can put you off too early.

So, whatever OM you choose for this test must sound good enough for long enough.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

OM's are even more of a niche market than mandolins, so yes they will cost more. I bought a lower end starter OM years ago. Then I bought a very nice hand-built in the US OM. The beginner brand now gathers dust as I would just about have to give it away to move it on (very low demand or interest, even when listed in our classifieds). I don't really regret buying it, but since I bought my good OM less than a year later I feel I did waste money on it.

@Bertram Henze I just want it for some variety, basically, and for ability to go "full backing" mode when needed (as opposed to just melody all the time). And I guess for the extra volume, too. I do like the sound and do enjoy Andy Irvine and the like.

I play mostly celtic/Irish these days, BTW. Looking at OM over IBouzouki for the shorter scale length. I am aware that it'll take some effort to transition, but I think it shouldn't be too bad as I've got a plenty of general music experience.

In terms of instrument choice, I really like what happened when I went for "The Loar" as my first mando, which with a bit of setup went from a "beginner" instrument to my primary choice for gigging and occasionally even recording. It's just looking at OM choices it seems like a completely different world

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    OM's are even more of a niche market than mandolins, so yes they will cost more. I bought a lower end starter OM years ago. Then I bought a very nice hand-built in the US OM. The beginner brand now gathers dust as I would just about have to give it away to move it on (very low demand or interest, even when listed in our classifieds). I don't really regret buying it, but since I bought my good OM less than a year later I feel I did waste money on it.
    I guess it is niche, though my impression was that they were more popular than oval hole mandos. Maybe it's all the celtic stuff I listen to I do keep an eye out for the Classfields, of course, but the offers there tend to be on the professional-grade side of things.
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string

I think it's a great time to get an octave. In your price range I would look for a used instrument and maybe see if you can stretch just a little bit more...I know...but for an extra hundred or so, I think it's worth the wait.

Here's the Eastman MDO305 A Octave. It sells for 699 and it just came out. People will buy them and then decide to either upgrade or maybe OM just isn't their thing. When they sell used it should fall right in your price range. Even new is pretty close.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UHv43GuNwM

I would also be on the lookout for used Pono MN 20. Nice guitar shaped octaves. They retail for around 1k but I've seen used Ponos selling for $700. They are new as well and we should see more hitting the used market.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qp4eaXzgw0

Used Trinity College and Gold tone are options as well. To me they are the definition of OK. I've played a number and I've never been disappointed or thrilled with any. They offer good bang for the buck.

Good luck! I love octaves. I bought my first around 5 years ago but would consider them my main instrument. They're very versatile! They are used a lot in Celtic but I think they fit in just fine with Americana. Here's our band doing some Americana with my first octave, a Petersen. It was around 1k. If you see a used Petersen in your price range I would definitely recommend it.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

7. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

Thanks for the detailed advice, Chuck! I'm decidedly biased against guitar bodies as I find them cumbersome and could probably never get comfortable with one. I also definitely want an oval hole sound (as opposed to the new Eastman OM).

That's a great-sounding instrument in the video, BTW (and nice playing to boot)

Any opinion on the Countryman brand? They seem to be a European brand (Hohner?) on the lower side of the price range, but claim to have a solid spruce top. Not too many sound samples online to make a decision on, though...

9. The following members say thank you to Ausdoerrt for this post:

I've never played a Countryman. I don't think you'll go too wrong (or too right) with a Gold Tone or Trinity college and they come up for sale used pretty often. The Countryman looks kind of similar to the TC but I haven't heard them together. There's a TC on Reverb right now for $500. It's been up for a couple weeks so you might be able to make a lower offer. I'm not recommending the instrument per se just that if you look around you will see a few come down the line.

I wouldn't be in a hurry. Haunt the classifieds here and Reverb etc. Save just a little and you might have a lifetime instrument!
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Thomann in Germany sells a standard octave mandolin for €344, which is well within your budget. It has a solid spruce top, laminated sapele back and sides, and an Australian blackwood fingerboard; I'm pretty sure it's Romanian made, similar to the Hora instruments that are pretty widespread in Europe.

Now, it probably doesn't come set up, so that's an obvious consideration: bridge height and location, nut height and slotting, new strings etc. If you have a friendly instrument shop that does set-ups and adjustments, taking it there for evaluation and set-up would make sense.

It has a 562 mm/22 inch scale, so it's not as "stretchy" as bouzouki would be. Thomann also has some cheaper models, but I'd be a bit cautious. The Countryman "octave mandola" (Euro-speak for octave mandolin, I guess) seems quite similar to the Thomann, and could well be another eastern European product. The Countryman brand is associated with Hohner, but the connection may only be that Hohner distributes them. Hohner makes products all over the world now, so the Countryman could be Asian-made.

Trinity College and Gold Tone, Asian-made, are also pretty well-accepted entry-level OM's, and most of the responses to the Hora and similar instruments have been positive-leaning, though obviously we're dealing with student-level instruments.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

there will be a bigger difference in sound between a flat-top OM and an arch top OM versus two arch top OM's - one with oval- and the other with f-holes. This according to my buddy the builder.

I went with the Eastman. Until it's in hand, don't quite know what my thought are. . . But, it'll be my first OM!

Enjoy the hunt.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Yeah, I'm pretty much sold on the flattop sound at this point (flat or dome back) given the reason I'm looking to get it...

The archtop sound is quite unique/peculiar, but not really what I'm looking for, I think.

In the Mandolin Classified section there is a fellow selling a semi acoustic Hathaway Mandolin. At the end of the add he mentions that he is also selling a Hathaway Octave mandola (basically an octave mandolin by another name) for $481.

I've been interested in Hathaways but must admit I've never played one. By reputation they are a definite step up from mass produced factory instruments. As I've never played one, I can't speak from experience, but I think it's worth some research on your part!

Lots of videos out there. Here's one:
    Last edited by Chuck Leyda; Apr-25-2017 at 11:31pm.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I think the first Thomann is a Hora, the second might be an APC from Portugal, not sure about Countryman but I think at least some Ashburys are the same as TCs.

I have a Buchanan OM which I like, but they seem to go for a bit above you budget even 2nd hand. My main mando is a Hathway and I have played a Hathway OM at Hobgoblin, I got a bargain on the Buchanan otherwise I would have bought one of Paul's. If you are happy with 2nd hand then it would probably be a good buy. Otherwise older Fylde's come up on ebay UK fairly regularly.
    Last edited by derbex; Apr-26-2017 at 5:23am.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I am also just about to order one of the new Eastman octaves , it's a good price, and as said above a few of them might show up on the classifieds cause they are definitely different than playing a mandolin
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Blog Entries

I spent a good two years banging out chords and melody on a Trinity College Black Face OM. Put some mandola strings on it and it could really drive a session or play some nice sounding melody. Sometimes I still think about that instrument!

PS- Make sure you want a flat top or arch top and probably best to play one of each first. I really love the flat top sound. I've found good sounding arch tops require quite a bit higher investment. They exist, but I've played a number of mid range arch tops that sounded too tinny and thin to my ears. So for your budget you could do real well with a flat top.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    Hey folks! I guess my MAS is back! (Or would it be CBOM-AS in this case?)

Anyway, after playing mandolin for a while I thought I'd look to expand to octave. The issue is that OMs seem to be quite expensive compared to mandolins!

Are there any decent offers around for a beginner instrument? I know better than look to something like Hora, but I'd still like to limit my budget to something like $400~500 MAX, as I'm not positive I'll stick with the OM for the long term.

• What are your guys' thoughts on brands like Ashbury and Countryman? Can they be decent with a proper setup?
    • Should I be looking at restored and converted Waldzithers (e.g. by Dave Hynds) as a viable alternative? They sound good enough in the YouTube videos, but I'm a bit concerned about playability and intonation, with them being 'vintage' instruments and all
    • Or should I just wait/save a little more to buy a more expensive instrument, because the above options aren't good enough? What should I be looking at then - a factory-made instrument, or comissioning one from a maker (again, Dave Hynds' OMs look and sound great)

Thanks a bunch and happy picking!
    Last edited by Narayan Kersak; May-13-2017 at 12:15pm. Reason: Thought of something else
    Asheville Celtic Mandolin Blog and Tablature Resource.
    www.AshevilleMandolin.com
    The Asheville Celtic Mandolin Collection: Standard Notation, Tablature and Chords for the Celtic Mandolin https://a.co/d/2KaJwBq "] - Tablature, Standard Notation & Chords to 50 Celtic/Irish Tunes.
    Hurdy Gurdy Music - https://youtube.com/@TheHurdyGurdyWi...nCX2BHJY7jCVM4
    The Mud Larks - Hurdy Gurdy and Nyckelharpa - https://the-mudlarks.com/

18. The following members say thank you to Narayan Kersak for this post:

fox