Thread: RIP Col. Bruce Hampton

Default RIP Col. Bruce Hampton

He will be missed, but what a way to go...

https://www.jambase.com/article/jam-...e-hampton-died

For some mandolin content, check out anything that Matt Mundy did when he played with Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit.

2. The following members say thank you to Stevo75 for this post:

Default Re: RIP Col. Bruce Hampton

Hate to hear that.

Somehow, 40+ years ago, I played poker with him a few times. Didn't really know him otherwise, I was just one of about 6 at the table. All I can say is, he was as interesting a poker player as he was an musician, entertainer and person.

There is a youtube of the entire 4 hour concert concert, what I have seen is really jammin. Unfortunately, the Colonel does get sick at the end, and the band keeps playing not realizing it's not typical Hampton. Dang.

RIP.
    Last edited by WoodyCTA102; May-02-2017 at 9:44am.

I woke up today and my FB feed was all about it. I'm stunned. So shocking and sad, but so many say he couldn't have scripted his exit any better. He was truly a legend and more influential than most of us realize.

If you're bittorrent savvy, you can find Z-man's recording here: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=592742
    Paul

Weber Custom Vintage A
    Alvarez A-100
    '82 Fender Bullet (USA)
    '55 Harmony Master Model
    '62 Harmony Tenor Guitar

6. The following members say thank you to Paul Merlo for this post:

AlanN 

Very sad news indeed. But, I'm sure if Col. Bruce had been allowed to create his own "exit", he would have written it exactly the way it went down.

BTW....The last time I saw the Colonel onstage, he was sitting in for a number with the Cafe's own Atlanta Mando Mike a few month's ago.

My friend was at the show. I saw his posts at 4am and thought it was a hoax. Such a sad but poetic way to go. I saw him with theFiji Mariners and Blues Traveler years ago. He was great in Slingblade as well. RIP.

Registered User Matt Livingston's Avatar

The ARU was great and Matt Mundy's mandolin in this band was like all of the others in the band, pivotal to the point that if he wasn't there it wouldn't have been the same. They could play straight up bluegrass, country, jazz, blues, funk, rock, and then somehow meld them together and unthinkable ways. My first real intro to the mandolin circa. 1991. Before I knew who Sam, Dawg, Ronnie, and even Bill was, I knew who Matt Mundy was.