Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson F9 neck reset and total overhaul

Default Re: Gibson F9 neck reset and total overhaul

Very interesting thread, Adrian.

Do you have a website with information and photographs of your own builds? (In the Cafe Builder Database your entry doesn't link to anywhere).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Personally, this is more convincing evidence that the higher quality new mandolins -- at competitive prices -- are coming from boutique builders.

I do still like my "rustic" old F9 a lot. And somehow I do still like the Gibson name, maybe because of favorable experiences, and/or maybe because of brand recognition at sale or trade time.

But ever since I bought a blowout $199 Pacific Rim F-style mandolin and compared it detail-for-detail with my F9, I've been looking more admiringly and more wistfully at boutique builders for a lifetime instrument that I'd never want to sell or trade off.
    Well I have to say this thread was quite revealing and very interesting. Amazing repair and I enjoyed seeing the "remaking" of that Gibson F-9. On the encouraging side have built only 6 mandolins (4 F-style) but none of mine were this bad -- as far as I know! LOL.

But as a proud owner of Gibson F-style mandolins since 1973 (and I think I have owned at least 12 different mandolins including F-2s, F-4s, F-12s and F-5s from 1919 to 2002) this was also a pretty sad story. Totally hard be believe that things in the shop could have been so bad in 2009 that something like that F-9 would ever get out the door at Gibson. Quality control must have been turned off when that mandolin was being built?

However , before writing Gibson mandolins off I would suggest that this F-9 debacle is not typical or a good representative of the thousands of F-5 style mandolins that the company has made since they invented the F-5 in 1922. There have been darker periods like that 1949 to 1978 period but those were design problems not execution or build problems.

For sure the new Gibson mandolins coming out today under Dave Harvey's watch will be suffering none of the issues seen in this unhappy F-9.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Totally hard be believe that things in the shop could have been so bad in 2009 that something like that F-9 would ever get out the door at Gibson. Quality control must have been turned off when that mandolin was being built?
    (...)
    For sure the new Gibson mandolins coming out today under Dave Harvey's watch will be suffering none of the issues seen in this unhappy F-9.
    I hate to say it, but David Harvey joined Gibson already in May 2008: Note this article in the MC Builder News Section https://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pu...ns_00861.shtml "In David's new role he will oversee the mandolin production and be an active participation in all quality control matters."

Beautiful job! That thing is gorgeous now.

When Gibson unveiled the original F-9 I was really enchanted by the alternate aesthetic with the dark binding, subtle staining, black hardware, plain fingerboard, etc. Very elegant.

Every subsequent effort to make it look more like a conventional F-5 has made them look crummy to my eye--cheesy sunbursts, lame binding, and conventional hardware.

Your refurbished instrument is a winner.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    I hate to say it, but David Harvey joined Gibson already in May 2008: Note this article in the MC Builder News Section https://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pu...ns_00861.shtml "In David's new role he will oversee the mandolin production and be an active participation in all quality control matters."
    It is rare to see someone so dedicated to re-working any Gibson mandolin unless it is a vintage mandolin, so this is a rare opportunity to see this particular F-9 as it was originally built from the inside out. I'd be very interested to see other Gibson F-style mandolin models of the late 2006 -2010 vintage the same way. I suspect due to all the changes to the Gibson shop during that period, we might see other very interesting builds, and possibly some trends...

But this kind of re-building work requires someone dedicated to the task like Adrian was, and I really don't expect to see many more people take on tasks like this where the hours really can't be completely paid for -- this was a labor of love really. I'm sure in US dollar value, Adrian's work and hours would far out-value the original cost of the OP F-9.

I've seen nothing but extremely positive reviews for David Harvey's post-flood shop work. I suspect that things are better from a quality standpoint in the Gibson shop since the post-flood re-tool than anytime after the sad days in late 2006.

All that said, my interest in the work of boutique builders is still strong and seeing Adrian's work only increases that interest. I'll probably keep my F-9 because it's an instrument I love to play, but I suspect that one day when opportunity matches my pocketbook, I'll be in touch with a boutique builder.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    Sometimes it's easier to build one from scratch than repair or undo lots of others' poor work.
    Personally, this is more convincing evidence that the higher quality new mandolins -- at competitive prices -- are coming from boutique builders.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oh-Henry.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	156786

7. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

I've seen nothing but extremely positive reviews for David Harvey's post-flood shop work. I suspect that things are better from a quality standpoint in the Gibson shop since the post-flood re-tool than anytime after the sad days in late 2006.

All that said, my interest in the work of boutique builders is still strong and seeing Adrian's work only increases that interest. I'll probably keep my F-9 because it's an instrument I love to play, but I suspect that one day when opportunity matches my pocketbook, I'll be in touch with a boutique builder.
    I had a very nice varnished Fern F5, Harvey-signed in December 2009, nothing wrong with that one. (BTW the flood came later in May 2010.)

As of yet, I played two of Adrian's mandolins. They're extremely well-made and great sounding, very loarish.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    Very interesting thread, Adrian.

Do you have a website with information and photographs of your own builds? (In the Cafe Builder Database your entry doesn't link to anywhere).
    I'm sorry but I don't have any web presence. My building time is very limited so I don't need to be visible to potential customers. My MC activities are pretty much all you can find.
    Over the years I posted some pics of my work, finished or under construction but seldom started thread of my own. Often the new owners posted a pic or two of new mandolin.
    Try searching for "Hogan mandolin" and you'll find my work (or straps of Randy Hogan, who actually owns my latest mandolin :-) )
    Adrian

An extraordinary job, Adrian.
    Looks great.
    Sounds even better.

If all the F-9's sounded as good as that one does, who would need Master Models?

This was really enjoyable to follow, thanks Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't have any web presence. My building time is very limited so I don't need to be visible to potential customers. My MC activities are pretty much all you can find.
    Over the years I posted some pics of my work, finished or under construction but seldom started thread of my own. Often the new owners posted a pic or two of new mandolin.
    Try searching for "Hogan mandolin" and you'll find my work (or straps of Randy Hogan, who actually owns my latest mandolin :-) )
    I just ran across this thread yesterday as the Mandolin featured here is up for sale. Yes, if you do a search for Hogan Mandolins you will see some pictures of #7 that Adrian built for me. Adrian also did some recordings of this Mandolin as he modified the F holes during the build process. It's a very detailed and interesting read. Attention to detail is one of Adrian's strengths. I was impressed by the amount of time and detail Adrian devoted to this F9. If you are looking for someone to build you a Mandolin, reading this thread should convince you who to contact. My #7 is now 10 years old and it has matured so sweetly tone and volume wise. It's part instrument, part work of art. Just beautiful all around. Keep up the great work Adrian!

I too only just found this thread 'today' !. Discounting the neck joint problems as maybe a result of heat damage,the ''original build quality'' was disgraceful to say the very least. That Adrian has been able turn a no-hoper into a beautiful,playable & good sounding instrument,says a lot for his obvious skill as a luthier. I'm not surprised that the owner is pleased - how could he not be ?.

Very,very well done !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

For all of that work it should have had your name on the top. Now everybody within 500 miles will think," I can just buy a wrecked old volkswagon and Adrian will turn it into a 911 for $500..."

Next time, repeat after me: "No thank you...."

Again, "No thank you...."

Once more, "No thank you..."

And finally, "Pi$$ off and leave me alone!"

15. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Thanks for a great thread. I am nearly done with a complete rebuild of a 1972 F5 and it was interesting to read about some of the things you discovered in your rebuild process. I was shocked with the poor quality control of this '72 and the sound can only be described as anemic. The owner certainly could have bought a better mando for the money he spent on the rebuild, but he loves this mando as his wife bought it for him.... and he likes the sound, so who am I to judge? (He's also making overtures to have me build him a new F5, so it's a win/win for me :-)... thanks again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Hoyt View Post
    Thanks for a great thread. I am nearly done with a complete rebuild of a 1972 F5 and it was interesting to read about some of the things you discovered in your rebuild process. I was shocked with the poor quality control of this '72 and the sound can only be described as anemic. The owner certainly could have bought a better mando for the money he spent on the rebuild, but he loves this mando as his wife bought it for him.... and he likes the sound, so who am I to judge? (He's also making overtures to have me build him a new F5, so it's a win/win for me :-)... thanks again.
    I hope that you start a thread with some pics of your rebuild It would be very interesting!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.