Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That Gil

Default Re: That Gil

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Doland View Post
    I personally want to see a video of Chris Thile playing a well-setup $50 Rogue.
    Hear hear. Be a great way of finding out exactly how much tone is in the fingers.

2. The following members say thank you to blauserk for this post:

I bet my life savings that Chris Thile can pull better tone from a $50 Rogue than I can from any Gil or Loar.

I seemed to have been the early worm! This is an amazing mando. It's in beautiful shape and the tone is wonderful. Trying to decide which pick brings out its best voice Seems a BC TP 60 and the Red Bear are winners. Great retirement gift to myself!

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to honeyboy For This Useful Post:

Congrats! That's quite the Mando.

Hi Billy - I'm always aware of comments on ''the right way'' to do this ,that,t'other !. Some folks,especially newcomers take them as gospel,& become a tad dispirited if they can't 'do it that way'. Yes - i'd agree that there are maybe 'best ways' of doing some things, but as i mentioned,John Reischman does it 'his way' - he's no choice. I'd bet a $ million that almost any mandolin teacher would pick holes in my own technique,but it works for me (mostly),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

8. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I agree thats a good one. I think his mid's and uppers are outstanding but he get's a lot from the bottom end too and with clarity to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by honeyboy View Post
    I seemed to have been the early worm! This is an amazing mando. It's in beautiful shape and the tone is wonderful. Trying to decide which pick brings out its best voice Seems a BC TP 60 and the Red Bear are winners. Great retirement gift to myself!
    Congrats on the new mando. Have fun experimenting with picks and strings. My Gil felt tight until I put the D'Addario CM strings on it. The extra tension on the A and E really seem to drive the top better. I still switch around picks between the BC, Wegen, and RedBear. Right now the Wegen is in the case with Primetones for backup.

As the original owner of the Gil I have to say it was a wonderful instrument but the 2009 Duff that I presently own suites my musical tastes to a greater extent than did the Gil. That being said I feel that once you exceed a certain level of quality in an instrument, the choice becomes extremely subjective and hopefully you can find the one that works best for YOU.

12. The following members say thank you to Roccus for this post:

Well, as the second owner of the Gil in question (and the one that filmed the video of Thile at CVG) I echo everyone's congrats. It is a great one, for sure!!!! Deep down I regret letting it go, but have two wonderful mandolins now that keep me company. Enjoy it (and retirement) in good health!

Btw, Chris played Walter Carter's Gil cello and H5C mandola that day, in addition to roughly a half-dozen Loar-signed instruments. That was a hell of a day...I highly recommend hunting out those videos on YouTube if you are so-inclined!

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Josh, if you don't mind me asking, what mandolins are you playing now.

OOPS! Mine was actually #558. Sorry.

Scratch anything I have said about this mandolin, I completely got the serial number wrong. I've actually never played this particular instrument but chances are it being a Gilcrist it is most likely an incredible acoustic machine. It's really something how nice it sounds in the video while Thile playing it...
    Last edited by Demetrius; May-08-2017 at 7:46pm.

You and I both got our serial nubers confused there Roccus... Well at least we got the the D log part of it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
    OOPS! Mine was actually #558. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    You and I both got our serial nubers confused there Roccus... Well at least we got the the D log part of it right.
    Take heart fellas. Eventually you'll both recuperate from the trauma and humiliation that comes from misidentifying which Gil you used to own.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Mando Mike View Post
    Josh, if you don't mind me asking, what mandolins are you playing now.
    Sure thing Mike. I am playing a 2015 Wiens F5 (#41) and a Dan Voight F5. The Voight can be seen & heard here:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...64#post1546664

Quote Originally Posted by josh a View Post
    Sure thing Mike. I am playing a 2015 Wiens F5 (#41) and a Dan Voight F5. The Voight can be seen & heard here:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...64#post1546664
    I haven't played one of Dans mandolins in years but I will say they look amazing. I'm a huuuuge fan of Wiens mandolins.
    Wow id love to see pics of you Wiens #41 sometime. I use to own Wiens #40, I regret selling that darn axe...

Demetrius, what did you end up with? I remember that thread but don't recall how it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    Demetrius, what did you end up with? I remember that thread but don't recall how it turned out.
    Hi Steve,
    I ended up with a Gilchrist model 5. Love it so much.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5774.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	585.7 KB 
ID:	156973
    And a Givens A6
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5765.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	449.8 KB 
ID:	156974

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demetrius For This Useful Post:

Congrats on the new mando. Have fun experimenting with picks and strings. My Gil felt tight until I put the D'Addario CM strings on it. The extra tension on the A and E really seem to drive the top better. I still switch around picks between the BC, Wegen, and RedBear. Right now the Wegen is in the case with Primetones for backup.

Mark - what are these D'Addario CM strings that you mention? I googled and found nothing. Thanks

26. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post: