Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That Gil

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Default That Gil

The Gil That just hit the classifieds...I've always felt the video of Thile playing this mandolin at Carters was perhaps the best tone I've ever heard him get. Maybe better than his Dude. I'm shocked its for sale again. Don't know if anyone else has that same reaction when they saw that video awhile back but that mandolin has it. No financial interest, but that has my MAS (Which has been really under control) flaring like crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FB2oZdNlwM

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/110604#110604

Default Re: That Gil

What does he mean when he says it pitched in C# and the other ones are B, etc. Do mandolins have a natural frequency to which the top is tuned or something like that?

Most mandolins have a frequency at which they resonate best. As Chris is moving up and down the board in half steps you can see him looking for it, hit it, and then go back for confirmation. That note is just a bit more robust than the others. Not noticeable in a tune, maybe, but noticeable when looked for like he's doing. It doesn't surprise me that the Gil, which is known for having more bass response than most Loars, has a resonant frequency a bit lower than the Loars he referenced at Eb or E. A builder, or perhaps Dr. Cohen, can give you a much more detailed explanation than mine, but that's the gist, I believe; open to being educated if I'm incorrect!

I remember trying it out on mine when I saw this, and my Silverangel's was lower than my Kentucky's...can't remember the notes, as it's been a while, but it was noticeable.
    Chuck

Agreed on all points Mike. To my ear, what Thile asks a mandolin to do is what Steve is building them to do (if that makes sense.)

5. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Mando Mike View Post
    The Gil That just hit the classifieds...I've always felt the video of Thile playing this mandolin at Carters was perhaps the best tone I've ever heard him get. Maybe better than his Dude. I'm shocked its for sale again. Don't know if anyone else has that same reaction when they saw that video awhile back but that mandolin has it...
    It sounds wonderful. Not just to you Mike, but I'm sure it sounds wonderful to most of us. And it's obvious that C.T. is very impressed with it. And yet, there it is for sale again. And why? The seller is looking for another mandolin...something "a little different", a Dudenbostel or a Nugget etc.

I'm not criticizing or making light of the situation. I guess I just mean... where does it end?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

It sounds great in the video clip, BUT you'd have to hear it up close and personal WITHOUT the microphones to hear the Gil's true voice. And oh FLATROCK HILL, it DOESN'T END....
    John A. Karsemeyer

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAK For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    And why? The seller is looking for another mandolin...something "a little different", a Dudenbostel or a Nugget etc.
    or a Gilchrist FC. What's the FC?

11. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

F5C.....those were the Classical models

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    F5C.....those were the Classical models
    Yes, I believe they were more lightly braced and if I recollect, were played most notably by Evan Marshall and Butch Baldassari, and maybe others. The mandolin in this video is not a Gilchrist classical model. Chris is very obviously impressed with this test drive. It's a great mandolin!!! He's a great player!!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

15. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Yes, it is sensational. Gils tend to have a crunchy, piercing, cutting tone. It is great, and my cup of tea, but maybe not everyone's. If my wife wouldn't kill me I would find a way to buy that thing.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Josh Levine For This Useful Post:

One of my close friends owned this actual mandolin and in fact he had ordered it directly from Steve.
    This mandolin did not fall short in any way, in fact I thought he was nuts when he sold it. He maybe sold it 4 or so years ago I for some reason can't recall the exact date. Anyhow he found a Duff he likes and saved a few bucks in the process.
    I've played it many times and it really is that great of an instrument.

19. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    One of my close friends owned this actual mandolin and in fact he had ordered it directly from Steve.
    This mandolin did not fall short in any way, in fact I thought he was nuts when he sold it. He maybe sold it 4 or so years ago I for some reason can't recall the exact date. Anyhow he found a Duff he likes and saved a few bucks in the process.
    As a Duff owner, that story gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Personally, I don't like a lower resonant mando. It's a different timbre that doesn't fit everyone's liking. Gil seems to make the best of it however. Its the tone he goes for and it sets him apart.

His Duff is great too...
    Last edited by Demetrius; May-06-2017 at 2:49pm.

23. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

2nded. I recently took ownership of a Duff A and it is great. I have never gotten to play a Gil, but would love to compare the 2.

25. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

About that video with Chris Thile playing this Gilchrist...

..among other things this shows Chris's PERFECT Right Hand Technique. If someone were to develop "The Proper Mandolin Technique" school (like the classical violin has it's perfected techniques) this would be THE textbook example how to use the right hand.

It doesn't get better than this, it is poetry in motion. Blindingly fast motion...!

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

27. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

From Billy - "...Chris's PERFECT Right Hand Technique..". CT does have a terrific right hand technique - but it's not 'perfect' for everyone. I've tried holding a pick that way,& it doesn't 'work for me'. Due to the way his right hand thumb works (double jointed i believe), John Reischman has his very specific way of holding a pick which seems to work very well for him.

We're all different & regardless of 'how correct' something is,if it doesn't work for us,but something else does - go for it !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

My dear friend Ivan, I knew I'd get some blow-back about my immodest comments!! None better than from you!!!

BTW, the kind and gracious Jason Stein and I have agreed to meet in SF on Monday so I can get a close look at #557. I'm holding my breath... (and Monday is days away--still holding!!)

(...a side note that I will start a separate thread on---last night I did my first "solo" gig with my iPad instead of actual fellow musicians, it went famously well with big tips to prove it....now what am I to do?)

Billy Solo

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

31. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

Blog Entries

Them Duffs sure look sweet man! Never had a chance to play one but by looking online they seem to be right up there in craftsmanship with Gil's. I may be wrong but by looking it gives me some serious WOOD MAS! Elderly has or just had a mid 2000's for a killer deal I want to say 6G. Great price considering what a well known shop in Nashville charges for em 8-9G but in that case most everything they have has a high markup! The Gil in the OP and for sale sounds fantastic to my ear. Well with Chris playing he'd make something made out of plywood sound great!!! Way different than my 82 Gil F-5 with X-bracing.
    Someone "I believe a builder on here on a different post" said the X bracing is no different than tone bar on a Gil-its the sound Gil comes up with. I disagree. I just played a 97 Gil F-5 with tone bars against my 82 X and the overall voice was way different!

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Just an amazing mando played by an amazing player!

I need to practice more.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

I personally want to see a video of Chris Thile playing a well-setup $50 Rogue.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PJ Doland For This Useful Post:

Well, looks like that beauty is sold.

The next time I want to sell a mandolin, I want Thile to do the demo video.

39. The following members say thank you to barry for this post:

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Thile didn't sound like that on all those loars IMO. I think that helps

I wanted to reiterate my experience with #748 from a few weeks ago... I was prejudiced to expect something otherworldly, with all of the hero worship and price associated with Gils...it was not mind blowing, in fact it helped me understand that young mandolins are young and sound young. I hope it has tempered my expectations of my new mandolin (arriving next week). I remember when I got my Weber(cedar), ten years ago, I recalled I was quite concerned that I had spent way too much $$ for a tight sounding mando. I still find the sound and response to input amplitude changing and improving still today after 1500 gigs and too much play time. I wish I had saved my strings from the whole time, it would be quite the sculpture.
    Don't get me wrong, it was a finely built mandolin, but +$15k?(the Gil)
    Last edited by MontanaMatt; May-07-2017 at 8:33pm.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com