Thread: Vega Cylinder Back Style #207 - Top of the Line!

Default Vega Cylinder Back Style #207 - Top of the Line!

For sale at Elderly. I have no financial interest, but I have had the 'identical' instrument for more than a decade, and it's a mandolin that I still own. My favorite cant-top instrument ever, from both a sound and visual POV. It's in the classifieds, (Elderly's not mine) and here are a few pics for posterity.

I also consider the price quite reasonable. It would cost at least twice that for any contemporary luthier to build such a thing, and probably a lot more. In fact, I'd be interested to hear from luthiers what they would have to charge for such an instrument - disregarding the cost of tooling up to bend the cylinder-backs, since that is a whole operation of its own.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I think these are among the most wonderful American mandolins ever made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscf2567_6.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	156854

Name:	dscf2578_2.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	156855
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Vega Cylinder Back Style #207 - Top of the Line!

Would love to have one of these, I do however have a '27 Martin that has a wonderful sound. Spruce and Mahogany. Hard to believe they can sound that good. I just need a case now.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    For sale at Elderly. I have no financial interest, but I have had the 'identical' instrument for more than a decade, and it's a mandolin that I still own. My favorite cant-top instrument ever, from both a sound and visual POV. It's in the classifieds, (Elderly's not mine) and here are a few pics for posterity.

I also consider the price quite reasonable. It would cost at least twice that for any contemporary luthier to build such a thing, and probably a lot more. In fact, I'd be interested to hear from luthiers what they would have to charge for such an instrument - disregarding the cost of tooling up to bend the cylinder-backs, since that is a whole operation of its own.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I think these are among the most wonderful American mandolins ever made.

That is glorious.
    Enjoying the Moment

That's one nice instrument!

I know a woman up north who has an F holed Vega cylinder back; glorious one piece birdseye maple back with a blond finish as pictured above. It may have been a one off artist model for somebody like William Place or Giuseppi Pettine out of Rhode Island at the time. I've never seen another one like it.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post

If she plays nearly as good as she looks, it is very reasonably priced.

Most makers would charge well over double for something like that even with a more standard carved back.

I would sell my cow pony and saddle to buy that thing.
    Enjoying the Moment

Quote Originally Posted by BiggT View Post
    I would sell my cow pony and saddle to buy that thing.
    I'll take that cow pony and saddle.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

i have a refurbished version with a darker finish. the maple back and sides. it was not on great shape but it was cheap and a luthier friend fixed it up beautifully. it sounds great. that cylinder back design is a simple but beautiful and very great tone design. se are talking about making an octave mandolin with a cylinder back.