Thread: "Bistro Fada" from Midnight in Paris (2011)

Default "Bistro Fada" from Midnight in Paris (2011)

Hope y'all enjoy this. (Youtube)

My mandolin uses super-light-gauge guitar strings, and is permanently tuned one whole-step low, so I use a capo to play in correct tuning. (Capo 2 for me equals no capo for everyone else)

You can listen to/download the audio from SoundCloud.
    Last edited by ohnoitsalobo; May-09-2017 at 1:51am.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ohnoitsalobo For This Useful Post:

Default Re: "Bistro Fada" from Midnight in Paris (2011)

Very nice playing, Loboguy and I love the Musette stuff. I am curious why you tune low with super-light gauge guitar strings. Are these heavier than regular mandolin strings?

You can embed the video right here in the posting:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Thank you! I can't edit the post now but I'll keep that in mind for the next video I post :-)

Yes, the super-light-gauge guitar strings are still slightly thicker than standard-gauge mandolin strings, so the tension at regular tuning would be higher. There is a tiny bit of separation at the neck/body joint (about 0.5mm) which gave me the idea to tune low to reduce tension, but the standard mandolin strings didn't sound too great tuned low. So I figured I'd try guitar strings instead and it worked perfectly. And the crack has stayed steady for months.

Why haven't I fixed it? Because I don't trust the repair shops here, and there are no legitimate luthiers within a reasonable distance. (I am in Goa, India). Oh, also, mandolin string sets are nearly double the price of guitar string sets here, and there isn't much variety to choose. So it ended up being way cheaper to get single guitar strings and make my own set.

Just wanted to say thanks for the video. Fantastic work!

7. The following members say thank you to RodCH for this post:

Michael Reichenbach

Today I have also recorded this tune:

As usual I have used my looper to record the accompaniment first with guitar and mandolin. I have played it a bit slower because I had the impression that it sounds better in the slower tempo with the mandolin, and it needs a little layed back mood.
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mandoisland For This Useful Post: