Thread: Is there a significant notice between 20 and 22 inch scale octave

Default Is there a significant notice between 20 and 22 inch scale octave

Looking at two octaves in classifieds, one is 20 inch A with f holes, other is Mitch Tadols weber F with D hole, 22".
    Both would be shipped to me, cannot play before purchase.
    I like both a lot. I assume 20" scale is much easier to reach, but do you really notice 2" difference in scale on octaves?

Thanks
    d

Default Re: Is there a significant notice between 20 and 22 inch scale oc

The other is the Girouard A, with cedar top.
    Both are very different in all aspects, and I'm sure very different tone.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Yes there can be lots of difference between 20" & 22" in my opinion, mainly the stretch but also sustain & also with string bending effects.
    Not to say in your instance those factors will effect you or that one would sound better than the other as they are different instruments!
    I tend towards longer scales for chords and shorter scales for melody, I find the longer the scale the sweeter the chord.
    However I dont think either of those scales would be a problem as you would soon adjust.

4. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

I have a 23" OM and find playing it to be fine. I do melodies and strumming and it works but I played guitar for years so the stretch doesn't bother me. A friend brought her 20" Weber OM and it was easier to play melodies but I preferred the sound of the longer scale...you'd just have to try them both and decide which one you like.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

6. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Yes there is a difference, but it's more what you like , I am a 20" player myself. Wish you could play both cause if you have not tried 22" it's hard to tell if it's too much of a stretch
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

8. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

thanks folks
    I've been looking for a short while, I just sent payment to Max at Girouard mandolins for that sweet used A he has in the classifieds.
    Max sent me a soundclip a few hours back and it sounds amazinggggg!
    I've listened to a couple of used OM's, but none filled in all the lines for me. This A immediately grabbed my attention over the weekend, and the tone nailed it!

If I can figure out how to post the soundclip I will-its in my Hotmail, anyone know how to do that?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

While I have never played a short scale, and therefore cannot speak from personal experience, I chose a GBOM with a 21.5" scale and a 23" tenor because I wanted a full G course on octave / Irish tuning. That said, I know that some builders (like Fletcher) design for 21" tenors in GDAE, and Bob Clark consistently raves about his 18.5" custom Weber octave, so I suppose anything is possible. Any musical instrument is ultimately a compromise, so it's simply a matter of choosing the compromise that best suits your purposes.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    Looking at two octaves in classifieds, one is 20 inch A with f holes, other is Mitch Tadols weber F with D hole, 22".
    Both would be shipped to me, cannot play before purchase.
    I like both a lot. I assume 20" scale is much easier to reach, but do you really notice 2" difference in scale on octaves?

Thanks
    d
    Just so you can look on a ruler, the 22” scale length means that if you are playing a root-second-third-forth run starting at the first fret, you'll have a gap of 2 1/4” between your first and second finger, then a 2” gao between your second and third finger, and then a 1” gap between your ring finger and pinkie.

In comparison, the 20” scale puts a gap of just over two inches between index and middle, less than two inches between middle and ring, and a little over 3/4" between ring and pinkie.

So... 5 1/4" versus 4 3/4”.

You can capo a 25.5" guitar at the second fret to see how a 22" scale feels, and at the fourth fret to see how 20" feels. Drop the second string from B to A, and the third string from G to D before capoing, and you'll be able to see how fifths tuning feels when playing a melody on those three upper strings.

Good luck!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Explorer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post

So... 5 1/4" versus 4 3/4”.

You can capo a 25.5" guitar at the second fret to see how a 22" scale feels, and at the fourth fret to see how 20" feels. Drop the second string from B to A, and the third string from G to D before capoing, and you'll be able to see how fifths tuning feels when playing a melody on those three upper strings.

Good luck!
    Wow, save that for the archives. Very helpful, thanks. (I'm going through the same exercise).
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

15. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

I currently play a Fylde bouzouki, although that is stretching the term a bit, at just under 23". The same instrument comes stock from Fylde in 20" and is called an octave mandola by the maker. I've had three of the shorter ones and found them to OK but not inspiring. Adding a few inches to the scale made a vast difference in sound quality.
    Adapting to the extra stretch was not a big deal. The initial discomfort comes, in my experience, from unfamiliarity and quickly fades as a factor. All things being equal I would opt for the 22" over the 20". FIWI.
    Steve

17. The following members say thank you to Steve Baker for this post:

New to the octave (and playing) but my ha'pennyworth. I have a relatively long instrument and find some tunes easier to play with a capo. Next time round I'll probably choose something shorter, all other things being equal. But at the end of the day I'd go for the one that sounds better and work on my technique

19. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

enroute, should be here Friday or Saturday-I cannot figure out how to load the soundclip-its awesome.
    looks beautiful, but again, the tone is what sold me immediately-and being used(cheaper) and comes recertified(warranty) thru Max since he was reselling it.

I know I cannot do it justice(playing), but willing to give it a try

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4824.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	519.8 KB 
ID:	156988

Name:	IMG_4832.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	156989

Name:	IMG_4827.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	626.2 KB 
ID:	156990

Name:	IMG_4829.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	566.2 KB 
ID:	156991

Name:	IMG_4826.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	480.5 KB 
ID:	156992

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

I don't currently have an octave mandolin, but hope to one day. It would have to be a short scale for my hands, mostly because I'd be wanting to play much of the same repertoire as I do on my 17" mandola. I get pretty close with my 20" baritone uke tuned in 5ths, which I attribute to the single course softer strings. I can't do nearly so well with my Baby Taylor converted 8 stringer, but it's neck is very wide, and it's got a 22.5" scale. I figure I would want about a 19" scale for my ideal OM.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

22.5 was fine for chord work, but tough for me to handle on melody work. I'm intrigued by the 21 inch +/- length, and may be trying an Eastman, if any more make it over here...

Daryl, that's gorgeous!!
    Chuck

24. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Any musical instrument is ultimately a compromise, so it's simply a matter of choosing the compromise that best suits your purposes.
    I think this is absolutely right. While I really like my 18.5" OM, I am sure there are some players who would not. The compromises we accept in any instrument must match our individual needs. That said, this instrument sure matches mine.

But I am also not quite sure that it is just a matter of scale length. This scale length question might be a bit more complex. I think it is likely that one might not just have to choose the right strings for the scale length, but also the body must be matched to the scale length. By this I mean that perhaps not every body will perform adequately with any scale length.

In the case of my very short scale length, Bruce Weber also scaled back the body. The top and back plates are mandola-sized while the sides are OM-sized, giving a body larger than the typical mandola but smaller than the typical OM. I cannot say whether it would sound as good with a larger or smaller body, I can only say that it works well set up as it is. It has become my main instrument and daily player.

I also don't know whether this would work as well on a flat-top. Mine is a D-hole, carved arch top. It would be interesting to try this scale and body dimensions on a flat-top to see how it goes.

Bratche, it is a shame you don't live nearer to me. I would be more than happy to have you give it a try, given your interest in shorter-scale OMs.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

Versatility and compromise define short scale octaves. Every inch seems to make a difference. I've settled on a Weber 20 inch scale with a D hole.

You can play reasonably fast melody. Full tempo jigs and medium tempo reels and american fiddle tunes. Full on breakdowns and fast reels I usually switch to counter melody and chords. You can do a reasonable bouzouki impersonation. You can do a sorta interesting impersonation of a clawhammer banjo. It's great for solo or small group work where you have the sonic space to put in melody, partial chords, drones and crosspicking. It works well for many different genres

You will never sound as full as a longer scale instrument. You will need to mess around with string gauges. It seems easy to pull a string sharp. If your ear is sensitive it can be almost like a fretless instrument; I sometimes need to move around in the frets to get the perfect pitch.

I'm lucky to have a nice stable of instruments but if I could keep only one, it would be the 20 inch octave mandolin.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

28. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

I will post a full review in a new thread soon, but the short story is:

the Girouard(and I need to learn how to pronounce this correct) landed safe and sound. Absolutely beautiful in looks, tone, feel, it has the whole package. This is the instrument of all instruments(guitar, banjo, mandolin, weissenborn, dulcimer)that has met what I was hearing in my head and wanted. Its simply fantastic. Light as a feather, build quality is exceptional(think Collings). Soft rounded smooth V neck profile that I had not taken notice of until I looked to see how it was shaped(which is when my hand the neck meet as a perfect matchup-if I'm looking at the neck and checking it out while playing, that means I'm not comfortable with it usually. When I take off and don't even think about it, that's when it works.)

And fun, just outright fun to noodle around on. Angeline the Baker never sounded so good(with my playing-lol)

And a spare Access shortscale 11" pot size shortscale banjo softcase fits it perfect(gigbag guy here).

more later..............

This has #65 inside the label, 2013.
    Truly exceptional instrument.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post: