Thread: Wegen picks inconsistent?

Default Wegen picks inconsistent?

Anyone have any trouble with Wegen picks not being consistent? I just ordered a two pack and they arrived yesterday (I already had two previously) These are the TF 140 large triangles.

THe bevels are not consistent with the old picks or even with the different points on the same pick. Also the beveled edges are not very well polished and sound sort of scratchy. I'm going to have to shape the bevels and polish. That shouldn't be needed on a $7.50 pick. Anyone else noticed this?

Default Re: Wegen picks inconsistent?

Yep. Doesn't seem to bother others though.

Nope. Never had a problem, love Wegens.

Wegen's are handmade, so there's a great chance that no 2 picks will be exactly alike. I did notice a difference in the two pack I just bought, but it hasn't caused any problems in my playing.
    Eastman MD515

I thought it was just me, but it is not. I also got some of their teardrop picks they call bluegrass guitar picks and they were rough too. Glad to hear my ears aren't failing me and the problem is with them. If their quality goes downhill anymore it will be time to find a new favorite pick.

Unfortunately, I have had problems with my last two orders. The TF100's I basically disregarded (partly inconsistent bevels and mostly because way too thin). So, not a big deal, but my Bluegrass 1.4's have inconsistent bevels (2 were good, 1 ok, and the 4th not so good). Also, the top edges were so rough that they looked like the picks were cut out with tin snips. I had to polish them myself. Very disappointing because they are my favorite picks. I really don't like to be negative, but true story.

If you're having issues or want to let him know your thoughts, you can reach out to Michel Wegen directly. His email is on the website - http://www.wegenpicks.com/#production
    Eastman MD515

Hand made is no excuse. It's not that they're not perfectly the same, it's more that they're kind of shoddily finished - as if they were hurried.

The Dunlop PrimeTones are also apparently hand-finished and while they're not exactly the same from pick to pick, they're "complete" and well polished. Hopefully that makes sense. I don't expect them to be identical, just properly finished.

Anyway, it looks like I'm not the only one. I'll just finish them myself and probably go back to Pro Plecs if I lose these. I like to put a bevel on Pro Plecs to match the shape/sound of Wegen's and BC's (worth a try if you haven't, it really changes they're sound and they're a lot cheaper than Wegen's and BCs).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stevo75 For This Useful Post:

I sent Michael an email. We'll see what he says.

11. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Kris N 

Stevo75, are you talking about the "fingerprint" surface on your TF140? If so, that's on purpose. It's a part of the design and they aren't polished smooth.

I only ask because I had this same conversation with a buddy yesterday. If not, ignore me!
    Eastman MD515

Not the fingerprint surface. I like that those are sort of rough because they grip better. I mean the bevel surface. If not properly polished it makes sort of a scratchy sound. I'ts not something that's characteristic of all Wegen's because two of mine have it and two don't (same models).

14. The following members say thank you to Stevo75 for this post:

Kris N 

I have a handful of Wegens. Two are TF100s I bought from the Cafe classifieds. One of them had a lot of flash on one point. The rest that I own, which include a TF120, a 140, and two custom 140s directly from Michel are all great.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I just heard back from Michel Wegen. He said this:

I'm sorry to hear this, and I have just read the discussion in Mandolion Cafe. I am willing to replace any of my new picks with issues, that people bought from me, or from my dealers. Just return the picks to me.
    I can not, you may understand this, replace second hand picks, or worn out picks.
    Wegenpicks is still a one-man company. It's only me. I produce all the picks by myself and I take a lot of effords to do it well. I am very confident there won't be more then just a few picks out there with a problem. I can make mistakes too.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bob Buckingham For This Useful Post:

Thanks RobBob and thanks Michel if you're reading this. In my case, I will just keep them and clean up the bevel, buff and polish (I kind of like doing that work anyway). Thank you for the offer.

For the sake of the forum, I was not trying to air grievances or throw anyone under the bus. I was just curious whether or not this was common in peoples' experience or uncommon.

My two TF140s are nice but I always thought a bit scratchy on the strings compared to BC and Primetone. I like them on tenor, electric and acousic guitars, less so on mandolin. Both of them are about the same, so consistent and I figure as designed. A cool option overall, to be sure.
    Last edited by spufman; May-12-2017 at 2:00pm. Reason: Additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    I have a handful of Wegens. Two are TF100s I bought from the Cafe classifieds. One of them had a lot of flash on one point. The rest that I own, which include a TF120, a 140, and two custom 140s directly from Michel are all great.
    Since I can't edit the original post, I'll add that I like the TF picks a lot, and will continue to buy them. I have a few ideas for slight modifications, and Michel delivered exactly what I wanted the first time I asked for a custom pick.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

21. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Kris N 

I used to use Wegen 1.4 mm thick 'Bluegrass' picks & they were usually very well finished. I now use the Dunlop Primetone 'Sculpted' picks & i get the impression that the Ultex material is 'maybe' harder than the Wegen pick material & thus takes on a better 'polish' on the bevel. Using one of the fingernail buffing/polishing pads that ladies use,produces a very smooth finish on the edge of a Wegen pick,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 In one nail file.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	157048
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan, I use something similar to shape and buff and then finish with 1500 or 2000 grit wet/dry paper.

Quote Originally Posted by RobBob View Post

I'm sorry to hear this, and I have just read the discussion in Mandolion Cafe. I am willing to replace any of my new picks with issues, that people bought from me, or from my dealers. Just return the picks to me.
    I can not, you may understand this, replace second hand picks, or worn out picks.
    Wegenpicks is still a one-man company. It's only me. I produce all the picks by myself and I take a lot of effords to do it well. I am very confident there won't be more then just a few picks out there with a problem. I can make mistakes too.
    Bravo Michel!

Quote Originally Posted by RobBob View Post

I'm glad you were able to get a quick response. A few years ago I emailed Michel a question about a custom order I was considering. I sent 3 emais over a period of 5 weeks and when he finally did respond, it was rather rude.
    I ordered a set of the BN-120 picks from Greg Boyds. The edge was horribly rough and scratchy. I was shocked because the edge if my TF180 is so smooth. I expected it to be brighter because it is thinner, but the scratchy edge made it unusable.

I love the Wegen TFs, I use a TF140 with GHS Ultra Lights on my Pocket Mandolin. Really make the smaller mandolin body sing clearly. Never had a rough edge on mine, but with anything handmade there are going to be a few minor inconsistencies eventually I suppose. Great to see Michel takes pride in his work and is willing to replace the OP's.
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

It's awesome to hear back from Micheal. Thanks for that, RobBob. While I did a little polishing on the edges, not bevels, of my last set of Bluegrass 1.4s, the picks are still among my favorites. I own about 30 Wegens between the TFs, Ms, and Bluegrass. As much as I try out everything else, including Primetones and Blue Chips, I always end up back to the Wegens. So, still a fan.

I cleaned up the bevels a little and took some 2000 grit wet/dry paper to the bevel surfaces and edges and that did the trick. All of the scratchy-ness to the tone is gone. One thing I realized is that this set of picks are white while my previous two are black. I noticed it was much harder to see the shape of the bevel and even harder to see how well the edges are buffed on the white picks. So that might explain the inconsistency. If Michel does all these by hand, and presumably has a lot of them to do, the white one are not gonna come out the same.

This thread got me focused on my TF140 again. Excellent pick.

Yes I really like the TF140 on mandolin and guitar.

31. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post: