Thread: Mandoholic Confession Thread

===========

Default Mandoholic Confession Thread

The following LONG post is what happens when you are laid-up in bed for nearly two weeks, with way too much time on your hands . . . .

==================================

Hello - my name is Mike, and I am a Mandoholic . . . .

My story goes like this:

I lived a very mandolin-free childhood - and not only a mandolin-free childhood, but also a mandolin-free life that extended even into my very early 30's.

My father never mandolined, even though he was of Italian heritage. My mother never mandolined, even though she was born and raised in Italy where mandolining was very common and even a widely accepted public norm. None of my family, friends, neighbors, classmates or co-workers ever mandolined either - even though many of them were of Italian heritage, or even came from various southern states where mandolining was somewhat differently approached, yet as common and as accepted as mandolining in Italy. As a matter of fact, up until I was 30 years old, I don’t believe that I ever even saw a mandolin. Yes, I must admit that I had uncles that had similar tools of vice in their homes; one had a balalaika proudly displayed over his fireplace mantle, and another had a ukulele somewhat tucked away in his garage - but neither one admitted to actually using these items, and I can honestly say that I ever saw either uncle ever balalaika or ukelele in front of me.

After being slowly influenced by certain social surrounds throughout my teenage years, it was in the summer before I turned 17 that I began to dabble in electric bass. With the musical fuse being lit, it was no less than 6 months after that, I found myself opening up to the widespread use acoustic guitar as well . . . and within 3 short years I was getting into bigger and heavier stuff - things like drums and keyboards. In later years, when nights were moonless and dark, and I was alone and perfectly safe from being seen by those closest to me, I would sneak trying small doses of banjo, harmonica, pedal steel guitar, violin and even accordion - but luckily, I was largely unaffected by these later secret youthful indiscretions.

The first steps of my eventual downfall began shortly after I turned 30. I began to run with a reckless crowd that somehow convinced me to begin to explore the previously dark and strange world of a previously little-noticed concoction called ‘country music’ - and it was then that I first laid my eyes on the long-mysterious little nugget known as ‘mandolin’. At first, I was completely unfazed and not even mildly attracted to its sleek and angular lines, curves and dare I say, ‘scrolls’ - but on one foggy, yet unforgettable evening, I finally decided to ask a fellow band mate to give a try of this previously forbidden fruit . . . after all, how could something so small be so dangerous? While on break with the band, and with my back turned towards the assembled audience, I took the mandolin in hand . . . and tried it. To be starkly honest; for a few reasons which were very sincere the time, I was greatly underwhelmed by that initial encounter. The entire experience lasted less than 5 minutes, and when it was done I proudly exclaimed to a fellow band member who stood by at watched, that; “It was kind of cool, but I will never play one of those things again.”

What a fool I was.

Another 2 years or so passed since that original mandolin experience, and as I had initially and boldly exclaimed, I was never again tempted to mandolin again . . . but then, the fateful day finally arrived.

It all began quite innocently, in the simple words of my 6-year old son. About a month before his 7th birthday, he came to me one day and said; “Dad, I want a mandolin for my birthday, and I want you to teach me how to play it.” I tried to explain to the little lad that I couldn’t teach him how to play the mandolin because I myself did not know (or want to know) how to play one; but his response was quite simple - he said; “That’s okay, you’ll figure it out and then you can teach me.”

What else can I say? When your 6-year old boy has that much confidence in you, you can’t let him down.

To make a long story short, within two days I had bought him an inexpensive ‘beginners’ mandolin. Later that same afternoon I began to teach myself the 7 basic major chords. On the day after that I figured out a few of the mandolin licks that we were using in the band I was playing in . . . and within 48 hours, I was hooked! Without ever planning or realizing it, the next 6 years of my life quickly went by in a dizzying whirlwind of mandolin activity - constant practice, countless internet searches for pictures, videos and sound clips of different mandolins, an almost maniacal desire to hear more mandolin players of different genres, late night recording sessions, and an inescapable mental syndrome to buy more and more mandolins.

If it weren’t for the sanity of their mother, I would have named my 3 children Gibson, Weber and Rigel.

. . . but then came the crash.

In almost a single moment, it all ended. The music had stopped, and for the next 11 years, I was basically ‘clean’. Yes, I fully admit that I did dabble with that 8-stringed temptress, very briefly, on a couple of occasions - but thankfully, for one reason or another, I was always able to walk away from my mandolin dalliances, totally unaffected . . . until, again, through the innocent semi-intercession of my son, the monster was re-awakened.

I was working for the law firm that handled the closing on the house that my son had just purchased, so I went to his new home one night to bring him copies of the final paperwork. While standing in his hallway, I happened to look across his living room and saw large pile of unpacked boxes standing in the corner - and perched on the top of the pile was an inexpensive mandolin, with no case. Upon seeing the instrument, I commented; “I didn’t know you still had a mandolin.” He responded, “Actually, it was just given to me yesterday, for free, by a friend who didn’t want it any more. I am not going to play it for quite a while, so you can borrow it if you want to.”

Needless to say, the monster had now been unleashed . . . and the so-called circle of life had turned 360 degrees, back to the pleasurable insanity of being a mandoholic. So - let the dizzying whirlwind of mandolin activity return once more - the constant practice, countless internet searches for pictures, videos and sound clips of different mandolins, the almost maniacal desire to hear more mandolin players of different genres, voluminous postings on The Mandolin Café forums, and an inescapable mental syndrome to buy more and more (and even more) mandolins . . .

Viva la Mandolin!

Yes, My name is Mike, and I am a Mandoholic.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

Learning by error!

Default Re: Mandoholic Confession Thread

I love the story, Mike!

Blog Entries

That's great.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Your first mandolin was a little nugget? Awesome. I'll assume you nicknamed it "Nuggy".

Great story. Have you ever tried mandadone? Something similar works for some addicts.

Blog Entries

Lately when I feel a need to purchase more mandolins, I've been listening to either Thile or Grisman or some other top mandolinist for a full hour, and sometimes I'll need to do it three times in a day.

Usually by the end of that time I feel like burning all of my mandolins. That feeling lasts for a week or two.

-- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

===========

. . . listening to either Thile or Grisman or some other top mandolinist for a full hour . . . Usually by the end of that time I feel like burning all of my mandolins.

What is funny is that something like that actually happened with me! About 2/3 of the way through my post I mention a 'crash' and how 'In almost a single moment, it all ended'. Many years ago I went to see one of my guitar heroes at a local show - and even though he was 30 years past his 'prime' he still looked and sounded great . . . neither of which I could claim for myself. That experience was the final nail in my decision to what eventually became an 8-year total music hiatus.

I would say that I eventually made a comeback - but as the old saying goes; 'You can't come back when you were never anywhere to begin with'

Hi Mike!
    James

I feel your pain Mike, having fought this addiction for years without success. However some observations I have made:
    1. While it can create financial stress, family conflict, loss of sleep, decreased work performance and social misunderstandings,
    there has been (to my knowledge), no recorded fatality.
    2. I am pretty sure that the cure is worse than the disease.
    3. Since I live in Cardinal country I am more concerned by you infatuation with the Mets.

11. The following members say thank you to Wayne Shelton for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Great story, but there's something missing. . . Who taught the little 6 year-old boy the word, "Mandolin?"

My initial journey began in 8th grade when I school-girl gave me a Kay mandolin. I still have it! There have also been many ebbs and flows in the subsequent 50 years!

Enjoy the new-found journey!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

===========

Hey Fatt-Dat - you will notice the story says that I was playing in a band with a mandolin player. My son had copies of the two albums that we did, and he used to come to shows once in a while. The kicker in this whole story was that my son is the one who had the initial fascination for the mandolin . . . but I was the one who ended up an addict.

And Wayne - no need to worry too much, the Mets are my 2nd favorite team - I'm actually more of a Red Sox guy. You remember the 2004 and 2013 World Series, don't you?

14. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Sorry Mike ... I have repressed those years.

I am still waiting to hear back from Anthem as to whether they consider MAS a "pre-existing" condition. I probably should not have identified myself to them as a "mandoholic"...
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

17. The following members say thank you to Russ Donahue for this post:

===========

Okay gang, I may have steeped a bit further into Mandoholicism last night -

As you can see from the original post to this thread, I was (at the time) 'laid up in bed for nearly two weeks'. Well, it has now been 3 weeks, and I still spend much of my time laid up in bed. Well, yesterday I spent most of the day in bed again, watching reruns of 'Mr Ed', and playing the mandolin. By the time I was ready to go to sleep I was too tired and too sore to get up and put my mandolin away . . . so, I slept with my mandolin.

Yep - this Mandoholic stuff could be getting WAY out of hand.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

MikeZito, when my S.O. goes away to visit, I put my mandos and guitars on the other half of the bed so I can play before I go to sleep and before I go to work (as soon as I get up), so I am sleeping with my instruments too! LOL!!!! (S.O. is retired, I still have to work.)

21. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Learning by error!

This is really therapeutic for me - I fell asleep with mine on the recliner last week and awoke with it in a gentle embrace. I may need an intervention now that I'm starting to think this is normal!

23. The following members say thank you to Bigskyken for this post:

===========

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Okay gang, I may have steeped a bit further into Mandoholicism last night -

As you can see from the original post to this thread, I was (at the time) 'laid up in bed for nearly two weeks'. Well, it has now been 3 weeks, and I still spend much of my time laid up in bed. Well, yesterday I spent most of the day in bed again, watching reruns of 'Mr Ed', and playing the mandolin. By the time I was ready to go to sleep I was too tired and too sore to get up and put my mandolin away . . . so, I slept with my mandolin.

Yep - this Mandoholic stuff could be getting WAY out of hand.

I did it again last night, too . . . . .