Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: New Kentucky KM-606 mandolins are in the wild!

Registered User Hendrik Luurtsema's Avatar

Default Re: New Kentucky KM-606 mandolins are in the wild!

Did you buy the KM606 Michael? I bet you don't regret it. I still love mine, it has a nice woody sound and a very good chop. I already replaced the frets with stainless jescar 43080 frets and made a new nut. Nickel silver frets wear very fast. It was a pretty easy job, the fretboard wood doesn't chip at all and the neck was very straight.
    I think the KM606 is good enough for any mandolinplayer, even a professional. Maybe not the most sweet or complex sounding mandolin, but very suitable for bluegrass and a joy to play.

2. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Luurtsema for this post:

I did not buy it. I am torn between the KM606 and the Eastman MD515CC/n. I’m not sure what I’m gonna do. Difficult decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
    I did not buy it. I am torn between the KM606 and the Eastman MD515CC/n. I’m not sure what I’m gonna do. Difficult decision.
    Make sure you look at the necks, the Eastman is a bit narrower and more of a 'V', which didn't agree with my hand. The Kentucky I had around the same time (years ago) was a bit wider and more of a rounded 'D' shape, which was more comfortable, for me, not sure what your preference is.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

5. The following members say thank you to ColdBeerGoCubs for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerGoCubs View Post
    Make sure you look at the necks, the Eastman is a bit narrower and more of a 'V', which didn't agree with my hand. The Kentucky I had around the same time (years ago) was a bit wider and more of a rounded 'D' shape, which was more comfortable, for me, not sure what your preference is.
    I’m still too green to have a preference but that is good advice. I will see if one seems to fit my hand better than the other.

Registered User Hendrik Luurtsema's Avatar

Choosing between a Kentucky KM606 and the Eastman MD515CC/n? I love my KM606 but If I had to choose I would defenitely pick the Eastman if you can afford it. I have had a MD305 and I still have a very nice 2005 MD815 and I think they're both significant more resonant than any Kentucky I played, even more resonant than my Kentucky KM950. The KM606 has a round neck profile, I prefer a V shape neck but I can get used to all.

8. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Luurtsema for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik Luurtsema View Post
    Choosing between a Kentucky KM606 and the Eastman MD515CC/n? I love my KM606 but If I had to choose I would defenitely pick the Eastman if you can afford it. I have had a MD305 and I still have a very nice 2005 MD815 and I think they're both significant more resonant than any Kentucky I played, even more resonant than my Kentucky KM950. The KM606 has a round neck profile, I prefer a V shape neck but I can get used to all.
    That is very helpful. Thank you very much for your insight.