Thread: comparison of samsung tab and ipad

Default comparison of samsung tab and ipad

the 12" or so models, one is about 1 k the other is about 400 , is the ipad that much better?

Default Re: comparison of samsung tab and ipad

The one without the scroll gives you more bang for your buck

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

This could get ugly

Lots and lots of people hate Apple. I used to be one of those people. Yes, some of the devices cost more up front. Yes, the do not seem to offer all the options of some Android devices. However, I'm two years into an iPhone 6 that still works like it's brand new. My iPad Mini 2 isn't quite as old, but it's basically the same deal. I'm typing this right now on an 8 year old Macbook. My youngest kids use two iPod Touches that have made it through me and their two older brothers.

We have a lot of Android devices in the house, as well. My wife and I each had two Android phones before switching to Apple. I was the biggest expert on the latest and greatest in phone technology the entire time I had Androids, because I couldn't wait to get a new one. I haven't paid attention to any new phones since I got the iPhone, and I have no intention of getting a new one until mine falls apart.

I hate sounding like an Apple shill, but their stuff has worked really well for me and my family.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I hate Apple, mainly for the clunky iTunes program.

I'm about to upgrade my phone from a 9 year old flip model to one of these newfangled smartphones, and I'm leaning Android because I hate Apple. On the other hand, my S.O. and her kids all use iPhones, so I might need to fit into their phone/software ecosystem. Sometimes this kind of thing can override purely technical choices on better hardware/software.

That said, when it comes to tablets, I use an iPad (older v2 model) because there is just a larger choice of apps on that platform. Unless you're moving sideways into something like a Microsoft Surface, I think the only reason not to use Apple for a tablet is to save money, at the cost of fewer mainstream apps.

I have an iPad as well as a Samsung tablet, and to be honest I like the tablet a lot better. As far as the hardware goes, both are fine. But the Android platform is just more friendly, and I understand it better. I'm not an Apple hater by any means, but I've never really understood what the draw is. Maybe it would make more sense if my phone were an iPhone and I had saturated my whole life in Apple products. But as it stands right now, being an Android phone user and a Windows computer user, the iPad is kind of useless to me. I can't do much in the way of sharing files or collaborating between devices.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

I just updated my iPad and did a lot of soul searching and research. I also have a 7" android device so had hands on experience with both platforms. My wife has a 12" iPad Pro.
    The 12" with a flip cover and glass screen protector. All needed because of young Grandson who isn't careful when using it,. With all the extras it is heavy and clumsy, but a great device.
    My final choice was the new 9.6" IPad when I priced a new model Samsung there wasn't a big enough difference in price for me to totally switch platforms. I had my 1st Ipad2 almost 8 years with no issues so I wanted to keep all my music, PDF files and giving software rather than learn new ones for a $35-50 savings.

I have the ipad 9" now and I am happy with it. but I want to get a larger one because my vision is not what it used to be and I don't want reading glasses while I am playing .
    I would mostly be using it for reading chord and lyric charts , pfd, which I use forescore,
    I see good reviews with mobile music ,
    although I already have a lot of apps on apple, and they are not transferable which is a shame , mostly would use it for the gigs.
    thanks kevin

Apple works great if you adopt the entire ecosystem. The quality of Apple products is outstanding (exceptions are rare). You do pay for this, but resale prices tend to balance it out. We bought the original iPad right when it was introduced and I think we are on our 6th iPad now. 1 was sold and 4 were handed down to family members and every single one is still in use.

It really is a personal preference though. A Samsung running Android is also going to be fine.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

10. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Android is the most exposed OS to viruses and related crap. Apple is the best in that regard. Period. Not even close. My iPad2 is about six years old and still works perfectly, and is updated to the latest iOS version. If I had bought an Android tablet I'd be forked (tech joke). Android products are good for 12 months. In my opinion.

If just made a similar decision as my iPad 1 is on its last legs.

If you're used to using Apple and have got a suite of apps that you're happy with stick with an iPad. At least that's what I did I had a play with a couple of Android devices and whilst I could get used to it I didn't find it as intuitive as Apple - but I'm sure I would have overcome that in time.

Blog Entries

We have a real mix of stuff in our house, Samsung tablets, Android phones iPad, iPhone, desktop PCs and laptops.
    Flexibility is important to get the stuff across the kit.
    I use the iPad for my music stuff but not any of their storage options which prevents my being device limited.
    In order to do this I have a 1TB drive as a network drive on my home network.
    For the apple devices I use FileBrowser to enable all the storage & transfer options I need, combined with a DropBox account that covers it.

Then music wise the programmes I've settled on mostly are AmazingSlowDowner, Notion, iClip Stage, Houkusai2 and TinyScanner.
    I have a plethora of others including iRealPro, OnSong, etc but they've fallen into disuse due to various limitations that just don't arise if I don't use them.

I manage my iTunes & other libraries on the PC and just sync the various devices from that with whatever playlists are appropriate to each device.

My son uses his iPod for chord sheets, & my wife uses the Tablet for PDF scores etc. As long as you don't lock yourself into one eco-system by using proprietary storage or file systems which are app specific , then you're free to choose as the price & style appeal to you.
    Last edited by Beanzy; May-23-2017 at 4:46am.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

Android this, iOS that, this one's better than that one; it's all poppycock. The rules haven't changed in the forty-some years I've been fiddling with computing machinery: you buy the one that runs the software you want to use. Android can be the all-singing, all-dancing, makes-you-breakfast-in-the-morning, but if it won't run OnSong then I don't care if they're giving away the tablets, it's of no use to me (for music, anyway).

To put myself in the shoes of the person posting the question, I'd just get the bigger iPad. If you just a want a bigger version of what you've already got, then get a bigger version of what you've already got. Because though the Samsung might be cheaper, might look very similar, might even work very much the same way, it is not a bigger version of what you've already got. Platform switching comes at a cost, mostly paid in pulled hair, cowering pets, and hefty servings of regret.

On the other hand, if you can find suitable Android-compatible replacements for every single app you're currently using on iOS, then you could save yourself $600. Assuming that you don't use any Bluetooth foot pedals or the like, which may or may not work on an Android tablet.

I use MobileSheets Pro, it's great. Works on Android only, as far as I know. It allegedly does Bluetooth foot pedals and all that, although I haven't explored that angle yet.

I just use it as a sheetmusic reader, although it has much more capability I guess.

Somewhere around this forum is another thread or two that has more discussion of this sort of thing (music apps on Android vs Apple devices). I don't have time to look it up right now, does anyone have the link?

I would say it depends on what your used to. If you have other Apple products, go for Apple. If you have Android, go for the Samsung. If neither, Apple is actually more user friendly to most first timers (notice I said most - not trying to start an argument). I have both types in various devices, like both, but use them for different reasons. I don't think your at a loss either way.

Just keep in mind that with Apple or Android, you could have issues. Neither is 100% protected from viruses and other crap, no matter what you've heard. Apple has a substantially smaller share of the market, so you just don't hear about their issues as much as Android. And no, Apple isn't virus free. No internet technology is free from potential hacks, viruses, etc. Period.

Yes, here's the proof on the market share (about halfway down the page) - https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/16/1...lackberry-2016
    Eastman MD515

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luxury17 View Post
    Apple has a substantially smaller share of the market, so you just don't hear about their issues as much as Android. And no, Apple isn't virus free.
    Gawd, I hesitate to wade into this, but you're rehashing the desktop computer debate (which was questionable to begin with) and trying to apply it to mobile operating systems. No, you don't hear about the issues on iOS because they don't exist for the most part. Market share has nothing to do with it (that's the MAC/Windows argument), the security and sandboxing models are different. Find me a report of a virus that broke out its iOS sandbox and I'll change my tune. (And that's my last word on the subject, as it's a debate best had elsewhere.)

Anyway, it's neither here nor there. The most secure computer in the world is the one that isn't plugged into anything, but that wouldn't be very useful, so get the one that runs the software you want to use.

Blog Entries

I use both (mostly to remote control various digital mixers). The iPad is (on the whole) more "seamless", and tends to be a very solid platform. Reliability with iPads has been outstanding. The Samsung Galaxy tabs are very good - some of the really cheap Android tablets definitely have issues, however. The Android version makes a big difference. V6.0 is substantially nicer than V4.4, for example. In the end, it comes down to what you want to do. No point in having an Android tablet if the mixer control software, for example, does not exist for it...... if the software you wish to run is available, a tougher choice. As long as they do what I want, I'll happily use either (or both).
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stewart View Post
    ... The most secure computer in the world is the one that isn't plugged into anything, ...
    The next-most secure would probably be a computer booted up from a read-only Linux Live CD or live DVD, and shut down and rebooted after each session.

I actually did it that way for a couple of years. Worked good.

That was back when I had less confidence in certain aspects of a different operating system that I was using for my main everyday non-internet tasks. Translation: (1) started on Mac, good; (2) added a Windows machine to my stable, got virus, freaked out; (3) banned the Windows machine from internet and started using Linux Live CDs. Lol

Haven't felt the need for that degree of complication in many years though. Mostly due to what I perceive as improvements in modern OS's, particularly as relates to the ease of running under a Limited account rather than running as admin all the time.

Anyhow I'm off-topic because, as has been pointed out, computers and phones/tablets are different critters.

Has anyone really had a virus on a phone or tablet? I don't know anyone first hand who has.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Everybody has had at least one of their devices regardless of manufacturer, and several online accounts, compromised in some way, and you wouldn't know about it. Those updates you get on all your devices are there for that reason, to fix exploits, not just functional bugs. Change your passwords every few months at least and try not to think about it. If you do want to think about it, you can go to https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and see if any of your online accounts has been compromised. Guaranteed, some of them have.

22. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post: