Thread: Need a refret, where?

Default Need a refret, where?

I have spent 40 hours searching and emailing luthiers from older refret threads. So far only 1 has replied. (None answered the phone). The one that replied wants $500 for a jumbo refret claiming it's a lot more work. Who has a legit storefront doing refrets? I'm not comfortable sending my mando to some guys house who used to be in the biz.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need a refret, where?

Only local to Florida, or are you willing to ship? Because Cat Fox put Evo Gold frets (also "a lot more work", I've been told) on my Gibson for something like $200. Not a great price, maybe, but I was content to pay it. Totally legit with a storefront in Fremont, big names coming through Seattle have used her services.

What mandolin do you have?

A refret with larger wire shouldn't cause any additional work unless the mandolin fret slots won't take the tang width. In that case, it is a lot more work.

$500 is not out of line for an in demand luthier. This is actually an average price for a well known shop. You can get it done for less, but maybe not by the bigger names.

I wouldn't dismiss someone that works from home. A good portion of the top (world class) luthiers do.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

4. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stewart View Post
    Only local to Florida, or are you willing to ship? Because Cat Fox put Evo Gold frets (also "a lot more work", I've been told) on my Gibson for something like $200. Not a great price, maybe, but I was content to pay it. Totally legit with a storefront in Fremont, big names coming through Seattle have used her services.
    I'm in OK right now but there are only guitar luthiers here. I'll have to ship for sure which worries me with weather getting hot. I'll hunt for Cat Fox info.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    What mandolin do you have?

A refret with larger wire shouldn't cause any additional work unless the mandolin fret slots won't take the tang width. In that case, it is a lot more work.

$500 is not out of line for an in demand luthier. This is actually an average price for a well known shop. You can get it done for less, but maybe not by the bigger names.

I wouldn't dismiss someone that works from home. A good portion of the top (world class) luthiers do.
    2003 Gibson Fern

Cost for average refret should be $200-$300.
    I'd recommend Mark Franzke in Kansas City, if you ever get up that way.

7. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

You might try Byron's place down in Guthrie. Now that John Hickman isn't there anymore not sure who is doing repair work. Rick williams up in Tulsa. I believe he works out of Bishline Banjos. Honest Ron's in OKC does good work.

9. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stewart View Post
    I just read up on those Evo Golds. They sound like a good deal and my hardware is all gold. Have you seen a mando with jumbo Evo Golds?

STEVE Smith redline 877-857-4896. In tenn. will do it right . enjoy aka

12. The following members say thank you to mr ken for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PiginaPen View Post
    I just read up on those Evo Golds. They sound like a good deal and my hardware is all gold. Have you seen a mando with jumbo Evo Golds?
    I can't seem to make a dent in the Evos after over a year. Anything I get refretted in the future will have them. Have I ever seen what you ask? Meh, who cares? If it's what you want, have at it. (And I don't pay enough attention to know if I've seen such a beast or not.)

14. The following members say thank you to Mike Stewart for this post: