Thread: Mando vs. Fiddle in Band

Registered User Christine Robins's Avatar

Default Mando vs. Fiddle in Band

In a band, if you play both mando and fiddle, how do you decide which to play on a particular song/tune? (Assume nobody else in the band plays either.)

Is your decision intuitive--one of them just feels better suited to the song? Or do you experiment, trying out both instruments? Do you have rules of thumb? (For my bands, mando generally works better for uptempo numbers, and fiddle for slow ballads.) Do you have different rules of thumb for instrumentals vs. vocal songs? Do your band-mates ever request one or the other? What if you disagree with their preference?

Do you ever switch instruments just because you're tired of playing one and want a change of pace?

Default Re: Mando vs. Fiddle in Band

I would switch based on which is more fun to play.

Also, cross-tuned fiddles are way more fun for tunes that work best cross-tuned. Cross-tuning the mandolin is tedious.

First, switching back and forth kills my fingertips. On the left hand, the fiddle string goes right down where the two mandolin strings were, and Ouch!
    Second, after much gnashing of teeth, I now believe one should serve one master. While I play a bit of mandolin, much easier to sing with a mandolin, I settled on fiddle. Here's how I did it: When at a jam, and you've got both rigs at the ready, and you hear the title and maybe the key to the next tune, do you hear your break (in your head) as a fiddle break or a mandolin break? Lot's of folks can't make their peace with the bow and not having frets. But if you get past that, I think the fiddle is lighter, easier and takes less effort. I am notoriously lazy.

Blog Entries

I do an Irish trad duo & a multi instrument swapping stringband.
    As we can all swap about a bit I think what's my purpose in the tune and that's often informed by how I've heard it done by others.
    Then there's how many other similar instruments are doing what roles in which acoustic space. So if the guitars split to bazouki or banjo & guitar or something for one song then I'd be pretty sure to go to the fiddle so it's not all plucky/choppy. But if they go off up the neck or one goes to the telecaster I might head to mandoloncello or cello, or chop or arpeggio patterns on the mandolin depending on the style of the tune. Unless it's Ring of Fire' when I'm supposed to have remembered to bring the cornet :/
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

If you're sensitive about setting your own time when you sing, it will be lots easier to maintain the drive you want if you play the mandolin. On the other hand, playing the fiddle always looks like such a gas, if I could play one I'd be reluctant ro set it down.

The first time I saw Peter Ostroushko play I was impressed at the way he would switch between fiddle and mandolin in the middle of a tune. Very fluid with an economy of motion that would cause him to lose only a few beats while another band member carrier the tune. I mentioned this to a mandolin/fiddle player I've been working with lately. He likes a challenge and has deftly aquired the skill of switching during a song. It adds some variety to a four piece band besides being sort of fun to watch.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warren H For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Warren H View Post
    I mentioned this to a mandolin/fiddle player I've been working with lately. He likes a challenge and has deftly aquired the skill of switching during a song. It adds some variety to a four piece band besides being sort of fun to watch.
    This guy from Muscatine?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Also, cross-tuned fiddles are way more fun for tunes that work best cross-tuned. Cross-tuning the mandolin is tedious.
    Which is another reason to get a second mandolin, to keep it in cross.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    This guy from Muscatine?
    From Iowa City. I think I know who you're talking about in Muscatine. If it's who I'm thinking of, he's an Alabama transplant who is a wonderful fiddler, mandolinist, and guitar man. I've been lucky to play quite a few jobs with him as well as jam frequently.

10. The following members say thank you to Warren H for this post:

Think about Chris Thile playing Bach on mandolin - pieces written for violin. He will gladly tell you that it has been a difficult thing for him. However, there are things he can do on mandolin that violinist cannot do, complex chords for a start. Then again, a violin can easily accomplish a long smooth note when a mandolin must substitute with tremolo. Both can be effective, but are certainly very different. I think the answer to your question is: It Depends.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616