Thread: Schaller GrandTune Tuners

Default Schaller GrandTune Tuners

Has anyone had a chance to see/try these puppies out yet? Man, they sure are elegant looking. If they work half as good a they look, Schaller has a winner. The only thing these lack that I can see are replaceable buttons. Not a big deal... well, until you break one.

Here's a review on Apitius' site.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Default Re: Schaller GrandTune Tuners

Here's a recent thread on the subject.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Just got a reply from Schaller about these tuners. Ordered a set and added a note that I wanted non reverse.
    They now only sell reverse gears (turning the knobs counter-clockwise loosens the strings. No more special order??. Sent my money back.

Smile Re: Schaller GrandTune Tuners

Quote Originally Posted by tomttomttomt View Post
    Just got a reply from Schaller about these tuners. Ordered a set and added a note that I wanted non reverse.
    They now only sell reverse gears (turning the knobs counter-clockwise loosens the strings. No more special order??. Sent my money back.
    I think they look great and imagine they work great but most people do not like reverse tuners so why have them as only option?

I emailed Schaller and got reply from their MD Dr Lars Bunning who confirmed they don't make normal.

To bad.
    I was thinking they were really high end but well below half price of Waverly.

Adrian Minarovic

Schaller has long history of confusing terms (since thay are EU based company and most mandolin producers are US based)...

Schaller calls tuners normal when they have the same gears as guitars (like this ///// worm supposed to be mounted worm above cog) they call them reverse if the gears are cut the other way (like this \\\\\ and those are supposed to be mounted with worm under cog) Their GT F style tuners are reverse (even though that is considered "normal" on f-5 mandolins in US) and A style tuners are "normal".
    In the past they used to ship all F tuners assembled as worm above regardless of the gear cut. If you were not carefull and looked just at the picture of the whole tuner and not on the worms you could easily end up with the wrong turning set. GT cannot be disassembled so they HAVE to assemble them correct now right at the factory and they dropped the "worm above" F style tuners.
    Adrian