Thread: Top sinkage on new flattop?

Default Top sinkage on new flattop?

I just tried out a couple of recently built Army-Navy style flattops. I am considering buying the one that is 1 year old, sounds and plays good. The workmanship is not exceptional but he used high quality materials and tuners. The builder makes his own doublefoot bridges. There is slight top sinkage in the bridge area, not alarming but is that to be expected in a near-new instrument of this style? Any precautions to take, if I were to end up owning it? Price is _very_ reasonable considering the materials, Grover tuners, etc.

Default Re: Top sinkage on new flattop?

Look inside with a mirror to be sure no braces are loose. . .

Blog Entries

I think I'd stay away if it was a new build with top sinkage unless it's real cheap, like Frank said look it may have a loose brace or 2?

Thanks. Asking price is around 250 in US$, I do like the sound, volume and playability. But I'm a bit concerned that, with no truss rod and a non-adjustable bridge, if it sank just a bit more there would be no simple setup measures to tweak the action if it got too low--its nice and low already.

Most likely, the builder did not induce sufficient arch into the top. A truly flat top is not strong enough to resist the downward pressure of the strings. An induced arch strengthens the top quite a bit. When there is not enough, it becomes a slow, inevitable process of self-destruction. Don't ask me how I know that. Just say no.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A