Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flatwoind strings on an acoustic mandolin

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Flatwoind strings on an acoustic mandolin

I recently bought some flatwounds to put on my Washburn oval hole. However I'm wondering what they'd sound like on my gretsch New Yorker.

What would the membership here do?

I use flatwounds On a gretsch guitar I have and often in my jbovier solid body mando. But I've never used them acoustically.

Should I?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Default Re: Flatwoind strings on an acoustic mandolin

I like the feel of the flatwounds. I have Thomastik strongs on my Collings MTO, and phosphore/bronze on my Weber F style. I wouldn't put expensive strings on the New Yorker though. What kind of flatwounds are they? They will not be as loud as the more typical bluegrass strings, so it kind of depends on what you use the Washburn and Gretsch for. I can tell you I loved the Thomastiks so much, I put them on both my mandolins, but after a month, ended up taking them off my Weber as I wanted the volume.

I am looking for a slightly different sound out of my oval hole mandolin, and my string selection helps with that. Also I don't want sliding finger sounds on the types of music I am playing on the oval hole (celtic and choro). So for my oval hole mandolin, the flatwounds make sense.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

I have an epiphone f-style for bluegrass. I was wondering if the flatwounds could be used for jazz and folk. The gretsch is my blues mando, the oval hole is jazz and folk. The gretsch does some nice jazz though. Which is what got me thinking.

Thanks for that answer.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

I use the Daddario EFW74 flatwounds on my Franzke, Collings and JBovier. I love the way they sound and play
    http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dmaflme11fw.html

5. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

joni24 

Those are the ones I have

If flatwound strings sound good on whatever mandolin you want to use them on, then use them. Ignore whatever "rules" people have about what kind of music or what kind of mandolin you can use flatwound strings for and just use them if you like them. I have used flatwound for playing Bluegrass for nearly twenty years and have used the D'Addario flatwounds ever since they were introduced. Having said that, if you're wanting to use them for jazz or folk, I think they would be a perfect match for that. Much depends on the mandolin though. Flatwounds sound great on some mandolins and not so great on others. Just try it and see if you like it.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

8. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

joni24 

I have tried lots of different strings. Now, flat wounds are all I use. I use them on my Phoenix Neoclassical which was made for them, on my Crystal Forest A/N flat top (surprised me, I didn't anticipate liking them on that but tried them anyway and really do like them) and on my arch top OM.

Why not just give them a try? Ultimately they may or may not work out on that instrument. There is only one way to find out. It's a lot of fun to try out new strings and you never know how it will go. You might just find that they work out great.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Oh I'll be trying them. I was just seeing if there was a bias towards oval holes or F holes here.

So far it's 'both'.

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    If flatwound strings sound good on whatever mandolin you want to use them on, then use them. Ignore whatever "rules" people have about what kind of music or what kind of mandolin you can use flatwound strings for and just use them if you like them. I have used flatwound for playing Bluegrass for nearly twenty years and have used the D'Addario flatwounds ever since they were introduced. Having said that, if you're wanting to use them for jazz or folk, I think they would be a perfect match for that. Much depends on the mandolin though. Flatwounds sound great on some mandolins and not so great on others. Just try it and see if you like it.
    I'm actually getting very excited to try them.

My advice as a player 40 years plus is to ignore what other people say and go with what you like.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to themandocello For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by themandocello View Post
    My advice as a player 40 years plus is to ignore what other people say and go with what you like.
    One man's trash, and all that. My opinion is that flatwounds feel and sound gross (on guitar, where I've tried them), but you may love them.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

15. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by themandocello View Post
    Amen to that!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

17. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Oh I'll be trying them. I was just seeing if there was a bias towards oval holes or F holes here.

So far it's 'both'.
    I've used them on both types of mandolin, and I think they are better suited to oval-hole mandolins. This isn't to say that they can't sound good on either. But one of the advantages of f-hole mandolins is the projection and volume, and much of that is lost with flatwound strings. So for me, using flatwounds on an f-hole mandolin is like putting a governor on a Ferrari. But since oval-hole mandolins are a lot more mellow to begin with, I think flatwound strings are more naturally suited to the inherent qualities of those instruments. YMMV, of course.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

I have used TI Mittels on my 1916 F-4 years ago while playing with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra and to me they always sounded dead, even when brand new. I eventually switched to D'A EFT-74 Flat Tops which sounded infinitely better but the F-4 was sounding tonally very close to my 1956 F-12 also running EFTs (F-holes vs. oval hole).

When D'A introduced the EFW-74 Flat Wound strings a little while back, I switched again and was delightfully surprised at how nice they sound on the F-4. Unlike the TIs, they don't sound dead at all (maybe a material effect of the stainless steel?) but the current set is nearly a year old with no sign of needing to be changed and best of all, the F-12 and F-4 sound totally different but both are quite pleasing for different applications. Jazz, classical and some folk styles sound excellent on the F-4. Another benefit of the EFWs is they are very easy under your fingers requiring less pressure to fret cleanly compared to the EFTs. The G strings are a lighter gauge on the EFWs, 0.036" vs 0.040" on the EFTs so your left hand gets a break when playing for extended periods.

From reading the above posts, there seems to be a slight bias emerging for flat wound strings on oval hole mandolins. The D'A EFWs are cheap compared to the TIs ($12 vs. $40) so it's an inexpensive experiment whichever mandolin you try them on. Do leave them on the mandolin for while so your ears can "acclimate" to the difference in sound and you may become a convert.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lenf12 For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

For arch-top mandolins, I prefer the T-I Starks (Heavy) rather than the Mittels.

Really don't like D'Adderio Flat-tops and hope we are not talking about FT strings as that'd be confusing.

Really neutral on D'Adderio Flat wounds. Much prefer the Thomastik strings!

That said, I'm beginning to cycle back to p-b strings. I go in spells!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

23. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

I tried flat wounds for a recording session and liked them but very soon afterwards they just seemed to die, in other words they were short lived on my mandolin, they did sound great for a few hours though...BUT as stated above you should try anything and everything out there and then you will know what suits you and your mandolin and your style of music the best, none of us know what your tastes are, we can only say what we have found for ourselves...If and when you do try them also try some different picks along with them...

Willie

25. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    Do leave them on the mandolin for while so your ears can "acclimate" to the difference in sound and you may become a convert.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    This is a common mistake people make when experimenting with flatwound strings for the first time. If you've never used them, they will sound very different. It is a good idea to leave them on for several days to get used to the sound then make your evaluation. One of the main benefits, though, is that once broken in, they will sound very much the same a year or more later.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandobassman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Really don't like D'Adderio Flat-tops and hope we are not talking about FT strings as that'd be confusing.
    Yes, don't make the mistake of thinking the D'A Flat Tops are flatwound strings. They are NOT!!! They're round windings that have been ground down to form a flat outer surface. However, they are bronze and they do have space between the windings, which flatwounds do not.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

29. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Fatt Dad, if you're cycling back to PB strings, the EFT Flat Tops should definitely be on your list of strings to try. I find them to have that cut and projection that only PB strings can deliver on an F-holed mandolin but the ground down string surface provides a nice compromise between round wound and flat wound where "feel" is concerned. To me, they have the best of both worlds; greatly reduced string "noise", comfortable under the fingers and bright, balanced tonal response. As in my comment above, leave them on the mandolin for a while and let your ears acclimate to the difference in sound of that mandolin. I have a couple F-hole mandolins strung with the Flat Top EFT-74s and one oval hole strung with Flat Wound EFW-74s. Sorry for the slightly off topic deviation. It's nice to have choices.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lenf12 For This Useful Post:

I've commented a few times that the EFT 74s have a unique A string, PB flat ground, with a great rich tone. Fiddle strings have so many options, why do you think most Mando string manufacturers put so little into a and e strings?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

33. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

It's definitely out of the norm to find a wound A string for mandolins. I know of D'Addario EFTs and Tomastik-Infeld wound strings but they are very different animals. As to why most string manufacturers put so little into A and E strings, I assume it's because the plain instrument wire is already available in the appropriate gauges and tensile strengths to work acceptably as A and E strings. Notice the word "acceptably" vs. the word "ideally" and I think it's great that D'A and T-I have invested the time and R & D money to produce a better wound A string. E strings are what they are; plain steel wire. Beyond varying the alloy and wire gauge, there's not much more that can be done with it afaik.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

35. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Earlier this year I bought a great F5 style mando from Tom Jessen which has become my main BG mando. So I strung my Morris F4 with D'addario EFW74 flatwounds for jazz , swing and Irish tunes. I like the sound and feel of the flat wounds though there is a drop in volume.

37. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Blog Entries

So, yes, pertinent to this discussion there is a difference between flatwound and flat-top strings.

That said, there are some advantages to flat-top strings. Probably the biggest is that they are phosphor bronze and probably a little heavier in weight than stainless steel flatwounds. That can make a difference in tone. In my experience on both of my F-style mandolins, and as Len has mentioned, the DA EFT74s can produce a good cut and projection.

Related to the DA EFT74's wound A string, while I like how it sounds, I tend to wear through the windings pretty quickly. Partially for that reason, but mostly because I use a non-standard tuning, I have replaced the A and E strings with heavier non-wound strings. But I do like the tone of the EFT74 G and D flat-top wound strings a lot.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

39. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Flat wounds went on the 'Jazzica' Lebeda, and the Fender FM61 electric (Magnetic pickup)

Flat top are round bronze wound that are ground flat ,

I found the wound A a weak link, better to just put a plain steel A on in the first place, since the core wire is so thin
    on the wound A, you will have to replace it quickly anyhow.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

41. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    ...better to just put a plain steel A on in the first place, since the core wire is so thin
    on the wound A, you will have to replace it quickly anyhow.....
    I have 7 months on my current EFT-74s with no signs of fraying A string windings or core breakages (yet) and they still sound very good.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lenf12 For This Useful Post: